Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Czech goalie Pavel Francouz (1 year)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cool. My only thoughts on this move right now are that he's small and I don't really like goalies who catch right. Numbers look solid though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
**** yeah @henchman24!!! This guy was a complete beast in the Olympics (a reason why Czechs made it that far) and was one of the best goalers on a decent club in the KHL. Traktor would have been a LOT worse without him that's for sure. Made the conference finals in the KHL with his form playing a big part. Plays like a more technical sound version of Jaroslav Halak.

Pavel Francouz

6'0" isn't really small.
154# is rather thin, though, for a 27 year old...
Ryan Miller is 6'3" and 172 lbs as a 37 year old.

Reactions: henchman21

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Should be said that while Traktor Chelyabinsk is a playoff team, they're not a KHL super team like SKA and CSKA.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
You have to think Parkkila had some influence here.

Either in helping bringing him over, or giving the avs scouts extra insight.

That, or he had nothing at all to do with it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know Parkkila's role, but I know for sure that Zalesak pushed him hard to the organization.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Cool, I hope he works out. My guess was Sakic would want to go after someone more established given Varly's health problems, but sounds like there is some potential there at least.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I really have no clue who he is, but those numbers in the KHL the last two years are simply ridiculous and it sounds like the guy is a quality signing.

If nothing else, this is a good indicator that the Avs have recognized that goaltending is a weak point in the organization right now and are aiming to fix this.

Another good move from GMJS.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I’m assuming he’s the backup but if the Avs brought in someone else, would Francouz need to go through waivers?
I think that would only apply if he were jumping in mid season.

This is a pure offseason UFA signing.

Edit: nvm, understood what you were saying.
Yes, I’d have to think he’d have to pass through waivers if sent down.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Beat me! This is a great signing! Francouz is a very solid goalie and will be the backup here next season.
You think they'll really run with a 28 year old rookie as the #2 to start next year? I mean, his numbers in the KHL are great but there's still a gap between that and the NHL. I would have thought this would have been the #3 signing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Best of luck to Bernier. I think Avs got scared with his concussions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You think they'll really run with a 28 year old rookie as the #2 to start next year? I mean, his numbers in the KHL are great but there's still a gap between that and the NHL. I would have thought this would have been the #3 signing.

An NHL spot was a part of the demand of him coming over, at least to other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->