GDT: Avs @ Sharks - Who fights Stuart?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It's actually a good point that the couple of shifts where Stastny was most effective today came with some quick transition passes from Barrie. Still, the effort just isn't there. It's bizarre, he's even been worse defensively and on faceoffs lately. He isn't winning puck battles along the boards. Either he's pulling a Gomez and truly regressing or he just doesn't care out there, one or the other.
I'm pretty sure he's been tearing it up on faceoffs lately.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Just left the game not too long ago...kind of sad when your besr player was chuck kobasew. This team seems to have no passion at all. But at least i finally got to see a shootout.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure he's been tearing it up on faceoffs lately.

He's definitely still been good on faceoffs, but I feel like I've been perceiving him to be less dominant than before. I haven't looked at any numbers outside of whatever they show during the games but it seems to be more certain games or periods where he goes cold on them lately rather than overall. Also getting waved out a lot. Not a huge point, just weird when you take everything altogether.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stastny and his line were effective dumping and chasing and cycling but it never amounts to anything. Avs never have any traffic in the slot (compare to Sharks, who circle our slot non-stop).

It's a bit too easy to defend against, especially for big and strong teams like Sharks.

The best chance Stastny had was in transition when he found Landeskog who had that great pass in the slot. There his passing and quick thinking got rewarded. Grinding behind net is something he is decent at, but it's not all that effective.

Last edited:

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
I only half paid attention, but looked to me like a new defensive zone system. Granted, I only noticed it when it broke down, but seemed to be a man-to-man coverage down low with the two D and the center on their 3 forwards. Perhaps an adjustment to San Jose usually having their way with us down low?

Also, SJ is just great on the forecheck and on the cycle. You can tell they've internalized it. I can't remember the last time an Avs team looked like that. Makes not hiring McClellan when we had the chance sting a bit.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I disagree. I think Stastny would get nice return at trade deadline. He would be one of the most targeted guys at deadline, most likely.

This, we could probably get a good prospect and a 1st for him. Possibly even a roster player. And if we retained some salary we could get even more.

a 4.5M Stastny would be very enticing to many teams around the league.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mcginn also works his ass off game in game out. Hes just been painfully unlucky for watever reason this season. He keeps pressing the goals will eventually come

Outside of Duchene and maybe PAP he has been our best forward this year. Absolutely love that trade at this point. Even if he just had average luck this year he would probably have 3-4 more goals right now, and playing at close to a PPG. If he was getting some lucky bounces, he'd be leading the team in Goals, and over a PPG. He does everything right. He's gonna be a solid 2nd liner for us down the road. Landy takes top line duties, he'll be just as effective on the 2nd line.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Just watched the recap......thought it was a Varlamov highlight reel!
There was maybe 2 clips outside our own zone and that was our goals!

Can't believe Galiardi gets his 1st goal and 3rd star against us! It's almost predictable!

Ex players play big games and get like double hat tricks, backup goalies look like hall of famers! It's getting boring

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Stastny should be kept and Sacco should go. Every Avs fan in their right mind can agree that until we see Staz under a new coach we'd be losing any trade he leaves in. Especially with O'Reilly's future so uncertain.

Can someone give me a quick analysis on whether I should watch the DVR'd game or not? All I see is our bottom 6 guys getting the goals and points, including Mr. Offense himself, Jan Hejda and a Varly stand on his head effort in net from the boxscore.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Stastny should be kept and Sacco should go. Every Avs fan in their right mind can agree that until we see Staz under a new coach we'd be losing any trade he leaves in. Especially with O'Reilly's future so uncertain.

Can someone give me a quick analysis on whether I should watch the DVR'd game or not? All I see is our bottom 6 guys getting the goals and points, including Mr. Offense himself, Jan Hejda and a Varly stand on his head effort in net from the boxscore.

We got two goals when we threw some pucks towards the net and tipped in the rebounces. Other than that, it was Varly vs Joe, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Havlat etc...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's definitely still been good on faceoffs, but I feel like I've been perceiving him to be less dominant than before. I haven't looked at any numbers outside of whatever they show during the games but it seems to be more certain games or periods where he goes cold on them lately rather than overall. Also getting waved out a lot. Not a huge point, just weird when you take everything altogether.

Yea, I kind of have too, but he's still got a decent percentage. He and Duchene have taken about the same number of draws (369 and 356) and have about the same percentage (52 and 52.5) on the season.

I think Staz may have been losing some important draws lately though, maybe that's why he seems to have fallen off a bit. Those are the ones you tend to notice anyway. Like the faceoff against Thornton on the PP last night, where he lost it cleanly and it went right to Pavelski who was wide open for a dangerous shot.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Outside of Duchene and maybe PAP he has been our best forward this year. Absolutely love that trade at this point. Even if he just had average luck this year he would probably have 3-4 more goals right now, and playing at close to a PPG. If he was getting some lucky bounces, he'd be leading the team in Goals, and over a PPG. He does everything right. He's gonna be a solid 2nd liner for us down the road. Landy takes top line duties, he'll be just as effective on the 2nd line.

Not to mention that T.J. Galiardi does absolutely nothing for San Jose unless he's playing us lol, that trade looks like an absolute steal right about now, though I wish we still had Winnik, I loved the way he played too

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Posted this in the trade forum.

Avs shots for/against with and without EJ this season.

With EJ (11 games): 30.8-29.1
Without EJ (7 games): 26.1-37.4

:help:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I knew there was a huge difference, but wow. I wonder what the goal differential per game difference is.

Edit: Turns out worse by ~.17 GPG

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Perfect stat to prove EJ isn't a bust. We know this as Avs fans, but others just look at the 11gms-1pt stat and leap to the conclusion that he's a bust.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Was absolutely shocked when I saw this. We obviously knew EJ was a key part to this defense, but that stat just shows how important he was to the entire team. 8 shots against more a game without out EJ and 4 less for us, that's crazy.

I was just looking at the stats from the PHX/VAN game and the PHX Defense ice time shocked me.

OEL - 30:16
Michalek - 27:14
Yandle - 24:03
Stone - 16:57
Klesla - 16:18
Rundblad - 5:37

That's what our Defense should look like. We should be relying heavily on EJ(When he's healthy again, 28 MIns a game), Barrie(24-26), and Hejda(22-24), and Wilson(22-24) the rest should be getting little ice time.

Hunwick should only play the PP and a tiny bit of 5 on 5 against oppositions weaker lines. Zanon should only play the PK and the oppositions weakest lines. And actually it should probably be Obrien over Zanon. Waive Zanon and Obyrne or trade them for Pucks. Let our 4 Top 4 guys handle the big minutes and tough competition...

Then again, here I go thinking Joe Sacco had a functioning brain, silly me.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
O'Brien with what seems the likely explanation of why he's in the dog house.

""My body was a little sore coming into camp. It took me a little while to get going. Through the lockout, it was tough to stay ready. I was battling a couple injuries here and there. Once camp started, it took me a little while to get going."

I'm not sure I buy that O'Brien was out of shape because of injuries. He's had a problem with coming into camp in shape before.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

""My body was a little sore coming into camp. It took me a little while to get going. Through the lockout, it was tough to stay ready. I was battling a couple injuries here and there. Once camp started, it took me a little while to get going."

I'm not sure I buy that O'Brien was out of shape because of injuries. He's had a problem with coming into camp in shape before.

Lol and his brother is a very famous trainer as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea, that sounds like a load of crap to me too. He hadn't played in eight months. What sort of injury was still sore besides his liver?

I think he just blew it, and didn't keep himself in as good of shape as he should have.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

God, I want this guy back on the ice. Watching this team just feels way different without him, to me anyways. Hopefully we get to see him play in ~25 more games. There is no reason not to play him 25+ minutes a night. Barrie is almost playing that much. It would be a lot more enjoyable to watch the Avs if both these guys were playing 23+ minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad