GDT: Avs @ Sharks - Who fights Stuart?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Varly was exhausted and literally yawning before the shootout.

Barrie was great today. Also Mcleod, Kobasew, Hejda, O'brien were also good.

SOB needs to stay in for one of our other pylons once EJ comes back.

Mcginn is so incredibly frustrating to watch - every game seems to have a prime scoring opportunity but doesn't seem to have the instincts to finish.

Anyways Varly is the only thing keeping us from being in Columbus/Buffalo territory. I watched the Panthers/Pens game earlier today and they're icing a better a team right now aside from Theo/Clemmensen.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Duchene is out (and Sgarbossa likely suspended in the AHL) next game I think we really need to look seriously at Landy playing center.

If Sgarbossa is suspended in AHL can he play in NHL or does he have to sit in Cleveland to remind him he's been a naughty boy?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I can't believe Stastny actually played 24 minutes and 40 seconds... I'm getting so sick of him never turning up. Made some good defensive plays but come on..

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Varly was our best player tonight followed by....Tyson Barrie. Im liking Barrie more and more with each game. Also thought SOB played well he shouldnt be sitting while **** head O'Byrne is a regular

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Varly was exhausted and literally yawning before the shootout.

Barrie was great today. Also Mcleod, Kobasew, Hejda, O'brien were also good.

SOB needs to stay in for one of our other pylons once EJ comes back.

Mcginn is so incredibly frustrating to watch - every game seems to have a prime scoring opportunity but doesn't seem to have the instincts to finish.

Anyways Varly is the only thing keeping us from being in Columbus/Buffalo territory. I watched the Panthers/Pens game earlier today and they're icing a better a team right now aside from Theo/Clemmensen.

Panthers looked horrendous before this game. They're really streaky, basically the Avs of the East. Look like a bubble team one game, AHL team the next.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varlamov played well and we got two hard working goals to tie it, it was hardly a fluke. We also missed some open nets and made some good plays.

We were far from dominated.

They did get a couple hard working goals, but the shots were 41 to 27, and like McNab mentioned in the post game, the Avs lead the league in shots blocked, so that shot total could be a lot higher.

Varly stole another point for the Avs.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Varly is straight up filthy. Anyone who thinks it wasn't worth it to trade him for a 1st and 2nd clearly are just haters. I think he has become our best player surpassing Landy and Duchene. Varly consistently gets hung out to dry by probably the worst defense ever iced in NHL history but yet still finds ways on most nights to keep us in games.

SJ should have won this game 4 or 5 to 2 but we get to a shootout and get a point because Varly makes 41 saves.

This team is a mess, but Varly is a keeper. Once/if we ever put a credible team in front of him watch out, he could easily become a Vezina candidate ever year and be a top 5 goalie capable of carry teams deep into the playoffs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I can't believe Stastny actually played 24 minutes and 40 seconds... I'm getting so sick of him never turning up. Made some good defensive plays but come on..

Shawn Horcoff makes good defensive plays all the time. Casper is done here. His body language just says get me the hell out of Denver daddy. He played with better linemates and produced zero zilch nadda. Also im getting a little pissed that Lando is passing alot more. This guy lead our team in shots last yr and now he thinks hes Foppa dishing off passes? hammer it kid.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I'm a Stastny defender so take this FWIW...but I thought he looked good save for OT when he looked gassed. His line got better as the game went along.

Varly was just spectacular. Too bad they could not get him that 2nd point.

Shoulda used Jones instead of Mitchell in the SO.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't like how Landeskog is changning his game from last season. Might have something to do with how he played in Sweden. He came in, was hitting everybody, shooting from every angle. Dominating. Then he was trying to convert to some playmaker and that seems to be the case here too. He is keeping the puck too long trying to be smart, finding those perfect passes. Should go back to what he knows best and turn viking mode back on.

He wont get as many goals as long as they refuse to play him in front of the goal on the PP, but he would still be alot more effective than he is right now.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Shawn Horcoff makes good defensive plays all the time. Casper is done here. His body language just says get me the hell out of Denver daddy. He played with better linemates and produced zero zilch nadda. Also im getting a little pissed that Lando is passing alot more. This guy lead our team in shots last yr and now he thinks hes Foppa dishing off passes? hammer it kid.

Lol, just wrote that.. He converted to some playmaker during the lockout and wasn't even effective in that role in the second tier league in Sweden. He needs to drop that style asap.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm still trying to figure out why Mitchell deked on his SO attempt? All his goals seem to have come off his wicked wrister, and I bet SJ and Niemi still don't know him that well.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm a Stastny defender so take this FWIW...but I thought he looked good save for OT when he looked gassed. His line got better as the game went along.

Stastny was thoroughly mediocre and outplayed by the likes of John Mitchell, Cody Mcleod, and Chuck Kobasew.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs made sure to finish every check on Stuart today, but did it in a clean manner. Good way of reminding him that Avs remember.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I honestly don't see where you are getting this. Take off the ROR colored glasses. I'm sure if he wanted out of here he would just go to management and ask out.

Yah just like I was talkin non sense about Duchene being injured. Watch Stastny the guy just couldnt care less out there and his stat line shows it. Yah he was good defensively but hes getting paid to put the puck in the net or atleast I dont know make a pass that connects with one of his teammates.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Lol, just wrote that.. He converted to some playmaker during the lockout and wasn't even effective in that role in the second tier league in Sweden. He needs to drop that style asap.

I want 6-8 shots from Lando per game. Ima be keeping an eye on that stat the next few games. Kid has an awesome shot. Needs to hammer it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad