Avs score with the goalie pulled in 4 of the last 6 games

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Amazing really.

Will be more amazing if they make the playoffs.

Right now the avs have 15 ROW.

22-18-11 with 55 points. That is 22-29 and only 4pts out of the last playoff spot.

The only clubs with less ROW are Buffalo, Carolina(14), and Edmonton.

No joke.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Amazing really.

Will be more amazing if they make the playoffs.

Right now the avs have 15 ROW.

22-18-11 with 55 points. That is 22-29 and only 4pts out of the last playoff spot.

The only clubs with less ROW are Buffalo, Carolina(14), and Edmonton.

No joke.

I see it as a sort of karma for all of my fellow avs fans that spent so much of last season *****ing about other teams getting loser points so that our awesome ROW number wasn't as influential in the standings. I enjoy the irony that this year we are banking on that very same system that so many of us spent so much time railing against.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Do they have a consistent 6-5 set up?

Well desperation at the end of the game forces them to put their best players on the ice. There is some thought involved though as Dennis Everberg and his large frame has been out in this situation the last few games with the big guns despite being a 3rd liner on the team.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
I don't know why teams don't do this more often, like during a power play or just whenever to catch the other team by surprise.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So Avs fans, is this luck or skill?

A little of column A, little of column B.

The team is good when pulling the goalie, Roy is also very aggressive and clever about doing it so as to give the team a lot of time to make it happen and a good match up, and in most of these games the Avs have been turning it up and improving their play leading up to pulling the goalie...but 4 times in 6 games doesn't happen without a good portion of luck being involved, even if the team is making it's own luck to some extent.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They had something ridiculous like 5 goals for and 6 goals against with the goalie pulled last season. The team just manages to find a way with the goalie pulled and Roy gives them enough time to do something by pulling the goalie early.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
is Roy still pulling the goalie way early? always blows my mind how well that works out for him/the avs.

They did this against the Devils last year, they scored with the extra attacker with 1:47 left: http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400485083

We tipped our cap to Roy on that one since he saw an opportune matchup as DeBoer put out his overused 4th line (Gionta-Bernier in particular) late in the game.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The Avs are a bad passing team, but with so many options on the ice in the form of 6 players and 5 other players that the puck corals off of, the puck seems to get to the Avs players' sticks more often than not. 5 on 4 you have to make tape to tape passes, something very few players on the Avs can do.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's ridiculous. Most teams don't get that many in a year. I don't think the Leafs have done that once this season. I certainly can't remember. We're usually up or down 2 goals by then (more down than up).

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Flames fan coming in to say that's cute. :sarcasm:

Seriously though. It's a weird love of mine when teams find a way to score with the net empty. Outside of overtime goals, I think extra attacker goals are some of the most exciting. Props to the Avs for finding a way.
Aren't the flames the best comeback team in the nhl?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Calgary has scored 7 and allowed 6 this season with the goalie pulled. That includes having two goals for with their net empty on two occasions, and allowing two ENs in the same game once. Some teams just find a way.

Last edited:

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Dennis Everberg and his large frame has been out in this situation the last few games with the big guns despite being a 3rd liner on the team.

So he's net front low (screen guy) with a soft hands guy in the low slot in front of him?

And weak side forward snugs up to the crease when the puck is at the opposite point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->