Avs score with the goalie pulled in 4 of the last 6 games

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It might be 4 in 5. I didn't check for sure, just saw TV point it out in our GDT thread and I was still laughing at Talbot's SO winner, so I made this thread.

Has this happened before for a team?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Even last year I noticed that the Avs seemed pretty good at tying games late. I don't know how or why but it's a great quality to have

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Thing is, the Avs did this a ton last season as well. Roy started pulling the goalie with 3-5 minutes left and it worked more often than it didn't. Roy will take a lot of flak this year but he doesn't get enough credit for gutsy calls like this, it's frankly one of the only things keeping our season afloat right now.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't know how it's possible for a team to be so bad 5 on 4 but so good 6 on 5. If the PP was half as good as they are with the goalie pulled, the Avs are in a playoff spot.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Flames fan coming in to say that's cute. :sarcasm:

Seriously though. It's a weird love of mine when teams find a way to score with the net empty. Outside of overtime goals, I think extra attacker goals are some of the most exciting. Props to the Avs for finding a way.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't know how it's possible for a team to be so bad 5 on 4 but so good 6 on 5. If the PP was half as good as they are with the goalie pulled, the Avs are in a playoff spot.

There's a level of desperation and confidence that they have during 6 on 5. When they have any other advantage they seem to just start standing still and stop trying as hard.

I can't be the only one to remember that 6 on 3 earlier in the year they could barely even generate any opportunities.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thing is, the Avs did this a ton last season as well. Roy started pulling the goalie with 3-5 minutes left and it worked more often than it didn't. Roy will take a lot of flak this year but he doesn't get enough credit for gutsy calls like this, it's frankly one of the only things keeping our season afloat right now.

Last year we scored 4 times out of the ~12 times we did it over the entire season. That's different than pulling it off 4 times in 6 games. I love Patty's aggressiveness and creativity, but this little run has just been absurd, even when you add in how much we practice 6-on-5 and how aggressive Roy is about pulling the goalie.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do they have a consistent 6-5 set up?

Somewhat. It changes depending on who's healthy, who's playing well on a given day, and who's on the ice when we establish some offensive zone possession for Roy to make the move. But it is something the team practices a lot and you can tell when they do it that they have a plan on how to take advantage of the extra man.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
They're starting to look like they did last year, fun to watch again unlike the first month or so which was dreadful, especially those games vs. Minny.

To be fair though they were dominating most of the 3rd period anyways, and the amount of pressure they brought on the 6 on 5 in the last minute was pretty absurd.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Luckiest team in the league when it comes to this. They always seem to tie it late.

They did it last year quite successfully, and based off of the fact that they're doing it again this year, I'm going to conclude there's a bit more than luck involved. It's something they clearly practice / are good at.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
is Roy still pulling the goalie way early? always blows my mind how well that works out for him/the avs.

Generally he'll start looking for a good match up and some offensive zone possession in the last 3 minutes if we're playing well. If he can catch a team on a long shift in their own zone he'll sometimes pull the goalie and then let his team change while they maintain possession to keep the other team pinned in and unable to make a change themselves.

The team works on it a lot, and other teams clearly don't work on it as much, so the avs go out ther 6 on 5 with a plan while the opposition is generally just scrambling around and trying to just cram all of the shooting lanes. I'm sure it wouldn't work as well for them if they didn't prioritize it like they do and the opposition did so that they defended in a more organized manner like they do shorthanded, but the avs also have a lot of good talent to take advantage of the 6 on 5 as long as the right defensive pairing is out there to man the points. Dutchy/MacK/Tanguay/ROR are great at maintaining possession 6-on-5, Iggy's got that rocket and throws himself into puck battles so we can use our numbers to regain the puck/keep it from leaving the zone, Landy's been poor this year (likely playing through an injury) but he helps win battles as well, and Everberg has been tremendous at screening goalies and helping us win scrambles in front of the net when he's out there with the extra man.

Last edited:

A Shiny Zubat

Lurker
Jan 3, 2011
Darmstadt
They have the Tebow thing going on. Poor play for 90% of the game and then finally put some effort into it in the dying minutes, and notch the game tying goal with the goalie pulled.

If only they were capable of that effort and sense of urgency in the other 55 minutes of the game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To be fair though they were dominating most of the 3rd period anyways, and the amount of pressure they brought on the 6 on 5 in the last minute was pretty absurd.

I don't think they dominated the Stars at any point besides OT, the Stars killed themselves in the game. They won like 90% of the draws then you put Seguin out there and he loses probably the most important draw in the game to O'Reilly leading him to score.

Don't forget Avs were able to tie the game late in Games 1 and 5 against the Wild. Even though Game 5 was offsides, it is still pretty remarkable. Patrick Roy has brought that "clutch" aspect from his goaltending days to his coaching, no way has this been coincidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad