Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Ryan Graves 3-year deal - $3.16M AAV

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Would have liked a few extra years to go with that AAV. I think he and Nuke had a similar season. Breakout season and then not so good playoffs. Nuke only got 2.5M.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
True. I think there’s an argument to be made he was our 3rd best defenceman last year. Now there’s a big drop off from number 2 to 3, but still he had a solid year.

I thought arbitration would be 3.6 X 3, so it was a touch lower than I thought.
He was 4th best, distant from the top-3.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Ya it's a solid contract. Maybe ~200k more then I expected, but that's negligible at this point.

Honestly, I expect he winds up being our Expansion Draft casualty. Avs are likely going to go with the 3D/7F approach as of right now, meaning...

EJ
Cale
Girard

Mack
Mikko
Gabe
Bura
Naz
Nuke
JTC

Which leaves Donskoi/Graves/Jost as the 3 candidates to get selected and of that group, Graves will easily be the most attractive.

If he doesn't get selected, he likely ends up being shifted down into the 3 LD spot for the 2nd or 3rd year of his deal as Byram should jump over him by that time.

I thought Landy doesn't need to be protected because his contract ends. Then you could go 4/4 and protect MacK/Rants/Bura/Kadri from the forwards and add Graves from D.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The contract isn’t so crazy that they can’t put him on the 3rd pair either, when he’s surpassed by Byram.

The cap should allow a slight overpayment on the bottom pair in the 2nd, or 3rd year of this deal, while MacKinnon remains on his cheap contract. But, as others have alluded to, he may be Seattle bound in the expansion draft.

We’ll see. It will likely be between him and Compher on who they want to protect.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Contract is approx. $500K too high, but might be the extra year. Slight overpay, but not crazy to reward a player that worked hard to improve through the system.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I expected ~5.25 for Burkie, ~2.75 for Nuke and ~2.5 for Graves for 10.5. This comes out to 10.56. Jost at $2.125m next. :naughty:

tenor.gif

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Not a fan. I think there is no chance Graves repeats his Cinderella +/- year again, take that away and he was just meh all around.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's on the high end of what he's worth for sure. I was hoping a 3 year term would bring the AAV down a touch, but I guess Sakic felt he had a stronger arbitration case than Burakovsky and Nuke.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
I feel like giving him term is a bad idea. He is a one year wonder right now and I don't see him as more than a bottom pairing guy on a good team. He could prove us all wrong but I don't think he has another gear

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Don't love the AAV but his numbers (goals, +/- leader, etc) would have looked pretty strong in arbitration. He could have been awarded as high as 3.5-4 million IMO. This seems like a fair deal.

Reactions: McMetal

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Given the structure of the contract... I'd have preferred a 2 year, 2.75M deal and just take that 3rd UFA year out.

But it's still a solid deal. Time for the Gravy train to build on a great rookie year and establish himself as a legit Top 4D now.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Yeah, as others have said, I'd have preferred they go with just two years and between 2.5-2.75 million for Graves. Every penny counts, and hopefully Byram, in ~2 years, has taken over the top four left side with Girard. Obviously they like Graves -- Bednar certainly seemed to trust him.

With a 21 man roster the Avs are now at 4.2 million in cap space. Man, is having Cole and EJ at a combined 10.25 million ever an eyesore.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So we sign a Dman actually taller than 6 foot and you still complain?

:laugh: Of course
I mean you're not wrong. I'm am being pretty hypocritical. I just can't forgive this guy for his play in the playoffs. I rooted for this man to be more than the 8 minute a night player that Bednar wouldn't give chances to. Then he starts to finally succeed and he completely let me and this team down. I'm probably just being salty. Hopefully he proves me wrong next year, but right now I want nothing to do with him.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad