Nemeth?-Barrie
Seimens?-Girard
Lindholm

Warsofsky (27)-Alt (26)
Graves? (22)-Meloche (20)
Anderson (19)-Timmins (19)
Graham? (23)
Geertsen? (23)

So including the unsigned RFAs, we have 15 D. Five of those are yet to be signed (the ?s). Of the ones I have in Loveland (which I know is debatable), Alt is the second oldest at 26, with Warsofsky being the old man at 27. All the others are 23 or younger. So yes, there are a grip of prospects. And that is a very young defense. And could be younger is Warsofsky and Lindholm swap.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We can’t go into next season with Dunk expected to play a regular shift in the NHL. If Barbie isn’t brought back it has to be because we’re signing someone better.

Reactions: MarkT

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
We can’t go into next season with Dunk expected to play a regular shift in the NHL. If Barbie isn’t brought back it has to be because we’re signing someone better.
Not gonna disagree on that. IMO, he should be the #7, with Barbs or a UFA paired with Girard. Would prefer a RD, but not sure there are any worth paying UFA money to that we have a realistic shot at.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
As long as he's targeted as our #8 or lower this is fine.
If he forces them to make him more than a #8 due to his play then it is gravy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow, lol, how did I miss this? As long as he's not playing with the big club I am fine. I wonder if this means they're moving on from Siemens?

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is pretty much a perfect guy to have as the #7 (which I guess is fitting given the number on his back). He's young and can play a depth role capably enough, but isn't good enough to warrant a permanent roster spot. Better than leaving a prospect to rot in the press box or have a guy so terrible in that spot you dread ever having him on the ice.

I keep forgetting Lindholm is still on the active roster. Is he still waiver exempt?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This is pretty much a perfect guy to have as the #7 (which I guess is fitting given the number on his back). He's young and can play a depth role capably enough, but isn't good enough to warrant a permanent roster spot. Better than leaving a prospect to rot in the press box or have a guy so terrible in that spot you dread ever having him on the ice.

I keep forgetting Lindholm is still on the active roster. Is he still waiver exempt?

Yep, for now. As I understand it he has 10 more games before he loses his exemption though.
So I'd expect Lindholm to spend most of his time in the AHL unless he plays really really well and locks down a roster position with the Avs.

Toninato is in a similar situation too. He only has 23 more waiver exempt games.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Doesn’t seem like the kinda guy you give term to, but it doesn’t affect the cap and it isn’t my money. Solid option for an AHL/pressbox guy.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Doesn’t seem like the kinda guy you give term to, but it doesn’t affect the cap and it isn’t my money. Solid option for an AHL/pressbox guy.

I think @Pokecheque got it right. The second year is to decrease the odds of him being claimed when he has to go through waivers.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The worst part about this thread is that I found out Dwarfsofty still has another year left on his contract.

I don't mind Alt as the #7/8 guy chilling in the press box. And since our D are constantly getting injured at both levels, we should sign as many as possible to keep the depth as strong as possible. The important D will get playing time. The unimportant ones can sit until a spot opens up.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I kind of wonder if we can trade Warsoftsky somewhere for an AHL bottom sixer. I really, really want him far away from Bednar and this team in general. By far my least favorite player on the Avs this year.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We have so many defensemen under contract, with Timmins and Big Josh also coming in.

Logjam city, Jake.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not worried about the log-jam at all. Let them all fight it out and earn spots. It's good for character. The problem's only occur when someone is obviously ready but not given a shot. We're not talking about a Boychuck who looked good in pre-season games getting sent back down over aging vets. All of these guys are fairly young and should be extremely hungry. Our D will be fairly young no matter how this shakes out.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I guess they preferred him over other alternate options and this is a very life altering contract for him. Altogether, don't think it's a bad deal. I'll leave before I get in an altercation.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We have so many defensemen under contract, with Timmins and Big Josh also coming in.

Logjam city, Jake.

Only 11 defensemen under contract (including Boikov, and who knows with those rumors). Graves and Nemeth likely get deals to bring it 13. That doesn’t even fill the AHL and NHL teams... 15-17 are usually needed in a full organization.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Only 11 defensemen under contract (including Boikov, and who knows with those rumors). Graves and Nemeth likely get deals to bring it 13. That doesn’t even fill the AHL and NHL teams... 15-17 are usually needed in a full organization.
Cdh 4m×5y
Ian Cole 4m ×3 y (time for Meloche,Timmins AND Makar To be ready
Staz 3y -6m
And another winger

Girard-EJ
Z-Barrie
Cdh-Cole
Nemeth-Lindholm or Siemens

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Cdh 4m×5y
Ian Cole 4m ×3 y (time for Meloche,Timmins AND Makar To be ready
Staz 3y -6m
And another winger

Girard-EJ
Z-Barrie
Cdh-Cole
Nemeth-Lindholm or Siemens

Don’t really wanna spend 8mil for 3 years on two bottom pair projected D. I’d be okay with picking up a RD at ~4mil for 2-3 years, but I’d also be okay with keeping the current path and focusing on bringing in an impact goalie or top6 forward.

I fully believe that d pairings of:

Zadorov-Barrie
Girard-Johnson
Nemeth-Barberio
Alt

Is a fully function d-core that is reasonably cheap and allows for internal competition.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Don’t really wanna spend 8mil for 3 years on two bottom pair projected D. I’d be okay with picking up a RD at ~4mil for 2-3 years, but I’d also be okay with keeping the current path and focusing on bringing in an impact goalie or top6 forward.

I fully believe that d pairings of:

Zadorov-Barrie
Girard-Johnson
Nemeth-Barberio
Alt

Is a fully function d-core that is reasonably cheap and allows for internal competition.

And I look at that and think we are one dman away from a competent defense. I'd prefer:

Zadorov-EJ
Nemeth-Barrie
Girard-Get someone that can help shelter him

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

I don’t want the young ones being the 18/19/20/etc guys on the depth chart. That’s all I meant. I just read some of my posts from last night and they are mostly nonsense, this one wasn’t conveyed properly either. Cheers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t want the young ones being the 18/19/20/etc guys on the depth chart. That’s all I meant. I just read some of my posts from last night and they are mostly nonsense, this one wasn’t conveyed properly either. Cheers.

Unless the Avs go crazy and sign a bunch of guys, I can't see that happening. I think they will enter next season with 16 defensemen on the roster... 8 in the NHL, 6/7 in the AHL and 1/2 in the ECHL.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
They've called up literal garbage and actual pylons in the past and had marginal #8 defenders playing in the top 4.

Alt can play 8 mins in the NHL in spot duty and not give up 35 shots against. Its a step in the right direction. Stability in the AHL so the youngsters can develop properly is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->