Confirmed with Link: Goodbye Kamenev

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nieto and Wilson are the low hanging fruit there. Calvert is an organization favorite (ex CBJ), Compher is Compher on a new deal, Bellemare and Donskoi the acquisitions. I think Wilson can be edged out most easily of the 6.
Nah man. Jared loves Wilson. If anything Nieto would be the guy who sees pine. Seems like Nieto is a healthy scratch atleast once a year and usually early in the season.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
What would you offer for Ristolainen?

I suggested this on the main trade boards, but it's probably a bit underestimated in terms of what they'd want for him.
I think he would take a lot more then we are willing to give to get him imo. It would probably take something like a high end prospect such as Timmons plus a couple mid round picks. I could be way off but that seems fair but I wouldn't pay that because I think Timmons will be a much better 3 zone Dman as early as next year and the thought of a D linup with Makar, Byram, Girard, and Timmons makes me all hot and bothered :towel::yo::wave:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I personally wouldn't pay anything. I don't think The Other Rasmus is that good.
He's been playing a #1 D role for years as a young defenseman, on one of the worst teams in the league. Perhaps playing for a good team in a more sheltered role on the 2nd or 3rd pair would bring a lot more out of him.

Girard ----- Makar
Zadorov --- Johnson
Cole ------- Ristolainen

Give Zadorov/Johnson all the heavy defensive minutes, and let Cole be the defensive guy on a pair with Ristolainen. Or pair Ristolainen with Zadorov and have Cole/Johnson as the shutdown pair. Either way you're putting Ristolainen in a much better position to succeed compared to the responsibility he has in Buffalo.

This would of course be dependent on neither Meloche or Timmins being NHL ready this season. Acquiring Risto may block Timmins a year down the line, but waiting on Timmins is a bit of a gamble due to his health. Even if Timmins does make it and you get a logjam at RHD that's a great problem to have, one which is easily solved by moving someone to LHD (for example Makar who actually prefers playing on the left anyways).

That all said, his $5.4m AAV and Buffalo's likely demands probably don't make it worthwhile.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Cap friendly is showing $750k. Not sure if accurate, but seems reasonable.

Also, for Risto, I would do Greer/Neito plus Barbs/Rosen/Graves plus our 4th. Maybe a bit higher pick, but not a first. Also not inclined to include any of our top 10 propsects (Greer being 11th on the list). But that wold likely be laughed at by BUF, so eh.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's been playing a #1 D role for years as a young defenseman, on one of the worst teams in the league. Perhaps playing for a good team in a more sheltered role on the 2nd or 3rd pair would bring a lot more out of him.

Girard ----- Makar
Zadorov --- Johnson
Cole ------- Ristolainen

Give Zadorov/Johnson all the heavy defensive minutes, and let Cole be the defensive guy on a pair with Ristolainen. Or pair Ristolainen with Zadorov and have Cole/Johnson as the shutdown pair. Either way you're putting Ristolainen in a much better position to succeed compared to the responsibility he has in Buffalo.

This would of course be dependent on neither Meloche or Timmins being NHL ready this season. Acquiring Risto may block Timmins a year down the line, but waiting on Timmins is a bit of a gamble due to his health. Even if Timmins does make it and you get a logjam at RHD that's a great problem to have, one which is easily solved by moving someone to LHD (for example Makar who actually prefers playing on the left anyways).

That all said, his $5.4m AAV and Buffalo's likely demands probably don't make it worthwhile.

Yeah, I know, that's been the argument for a while, and y'know, it may be right. There can be no argument that he's been horribly overplayed on a very lousy team, but I still just don't like what I've seen. And there's just no justifying that horrid contract. He is, at best, a #4 IMO, but more than likely he's just a flashy bottom-pairing guy with too many holes in his game. Not worth trading for IMO. If Botterill can somehow get decent value for him and not eat salary, he will have partially redeemed himself from the O'Reilly debacle.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, I know, that's been the argument for a while, and y'know, it may be right. There can be no argument that he's been horribly overplayed on a very lousy team, but I still just don't like what I've seen. And there's just no justifying that horrid contract. He is, at best, a #4 IMO, but more than likely he's just a flashy bottom-pairing guy with too many holes in his game. Not worth trading for IMO. If Botterill can somehow get decent value for him and not eat salary, he will have partially redeemed himself from the O'Reilly debacle.
I tend to agree. He's also consistently put up 40+ points, but 50% of those are on the PP, and needless to say he wouldn't be getting much PP time with us with Makar/Girard/Byram running things. Take away those PP points and as a 20-25 point D-man being paid $5.4m he suddenly isn't so attractive anymore.

That said, I agree with Pierce that it would be great if we could have a solid 3rd pairing RHD this season, and if Risto isn't too expensive it might be good use of the extra capspace we have. I think there are other teams (eg. Detroit) who would be able to beat any offer we make though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can't help but wonder whether the universe would implode if those two hit each other in practice...
AccomplishedImpartialIraniangroundjay-small.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque and cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wonder how many times a year Kam wakes up terrified in the middle of the night, coated in a cold sweat; as that gif plays over-and-over in his mind?

I mean he didn't betray William Wallace or anything. Sheesh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->