Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign JT Compher 4 Years 3.5M AAV

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I like the breakdown. To me, and someone else on here posted, if he could shore up his defensive game a bit more, we could see a Yelle 2.0, but with a higher offensive ceiling. Dude was such a solid utility player back in the day.....feels like this team is coming back around full circle via 1995. As a senior Avs fan (33 years old lol), it really feels like something specials-a-brewin.

Compher and Yelle are nothing alike.

Reactions: MaKarter

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I hope he can stay healthy more. One of my favorite moments from this season was his two SH goal game in Arizona, which was his first game back from a lengthy injury layoff.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't know if he's overrated, but he is pretty inconsistent, and I'm not sure that's going to go away. Kind of feels like that's who he is at 24. Especially considering he wasn't able to find a way to be more consistent in his contract year last season.

But... he did get more consistent. He went from just 23 points in 69 games in his rookie season, up to 32 points in 66 games for his 2nd season, and then 6 in 12 games in the playoffs including 4 goals.

And while +/- is definitely a flawed stat... He was -29 on a playoff team in his rookie year which is pretty awful. He greatly improved that number last season as well.

He definitely got more consistent. If he can be a regular 20-20 guy over 82 games for us that's exactly the kind of utility player most of us were hoping he would develop into and I think the Avs see him clearly turning into that with us as evidenced by this deal.

Reactions: Foppa2118

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm assuming you're referring to the defenseman, and we all know there's a difference in development time for defenseman and forwards. Especially with regard to consistency.

It's much easier to be consistent as a forward than it is for a defenseman. Defenseman are the last line of attack before the goalie. Forwards have the defenseman to back them up if they make mistakes.

EJ was inconsistent until he was 25/26 in 2013-14.

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree with the consistency issues. He flat out disappears. I also agree with @The Mars Volchenkov that he straight up isn’t that good defensively.

What separates JTC from the other tweeners for me is that his peaks are straight up better than the rest. At his peak JTC performs like a legit top 6 forward. There are nights where he’s the best player on the ice. This can’t be said for guys like Jost, Ghetto, Kerfoot, Kamenev etc. Another thing is that when Compher disappears he still doesn’t really cause harm. He kinda just goes through the motions which sucks but he’s not like Kerfoot who runs into his own players or constantly gives the puck away. Or like Jost who goes deep in the zone, works the boards and simply gets outmuscled by anyone who breathes on him causing a turnover. Compher certainly goes invisible but it’s not as detrimental as when Kerfoot or Jost are on the ice essentially playing for the other team.

This is a fair contract for what JTC brings currently. If he finds his consistency this contract becomes a great one.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But... he did get more consistent. He went from just 23 points in 69 games in his rookie season, up to 32 points in 66 games for his 2nd season, and then 6 in 12 games in the playoffs including 4 goals.

And while +/- is definitely a flawed stat... He was -29 on a playoff team in his rookie year which is pretty awful. He greatly improved that number last season as well.

He definitely got more consistent. If he can be a regular 20-20 guy over 82 games for us that's exactly the kind of utility player most of us were hoping he would develop into and I think the Avs see him clearly turning into that with us as evidenced by this deal.

I agree, he got a little more consistent. He had a rough patch offensively towards the end of the season, but overall his season was less inconsistent.

More importantly though, I thought he got noticeably better defensively 5 on 5 in the second half of the season. His defense was pretty average before IMO, but I started noticing him making some nice reads defensively, and breaking up plays more often than he used to.

Hopefully he can build on that next year, because that's gonna be a big part of his role in the NHL.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
Compher and Yelle are nothing alike.
Fair enough. What type of player do you see JT as? I'm not trying to be abrasive, it's actually refreshing talking hockey in here as opposed to some of the Facebook fans. I go there for the comments when I feel down about myself lol....good pick-me-up.

Reactions: Iceberg

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
I agree with the consistency issues. He flat out disappears. I also agree with @The Mars Volchenkov that he straight up isn’t that good defensively.

What separates JTC from the other tweeners for me is that his peaks are straight up better than the rest. At his peak JTC performs like a legit top 6 forward. There are nights where he’s the best player on the ice. This can’t be said for guys like Jost, Ghetto, Kerfoot, Kamenev etc. Another thing is that when Compher disappears he still doesn’t really cause harm. He kinda just goes through the motions which sucks but he’s not like Kerfoot who runs into his own players or constantly gives the puck away. Or like Jost who goes deep in the zone, works the boards and simply gets outmuscled by anyone who breathes on him causing a turnover. Compher certainly goes invisible but it’s not as detrimental as when Kerfoot or Jost are on the ice essentially playing for the other team.

This is a fair contract for what JTC brings currently. If he finds his consistency this contract becomes a great one.
Agree. Disappearing for stretches can be misconstrued for playing bad. It's frustrating when he does disappear because we know what he's capable of, but as you alluded to earlier, he's not a liability either. Even when he's not at his ceiling, he generally doesn't look out of place either.

Reactions: obZen

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fair enough. What type of player do you see JT as? I'm not trying to be abrasive, it's actually refreshing talking hockey in here as opposed to some of the Facebook fans. I go there for the comments when I feel down about myself lol....good pick-me-up.

Since you didn’t ask me, I feel he’s similar in style if not ability to Jamie McGinn. Has speed and can forecheck like mad, put shots on net and score, capable of hot and cold streaks. Really not adept defensively but also not talented enough to be a scoring line mainstay. A good utility forward.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I hope he can stay healthy more. One of my favorite moments from this season was his two SH goal game in Arizona, which was his first game back from a lengthy injury layoff.
Game 2 GTG against Calgary was my fave JTC moment but those two shorties are easily second. JTC was also a beast in Game 6 against the Sharks

Reactions: avsfan09

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Yelle was a great defensive center with very limited offensive skills, never scored more than 30 points in a season.

JTC is much more skilled than Yelle ever was, but doesn't have near the defensive awareness, and while he can still improve in that area, i don't think he will ever reach that level defensively.

Reactions: MacBradley

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
Yelle was a great defensive center with very limited offensive skills, never scored more than 30 points in a season.

JTC is much more skilled than Yelle ever was, but doesn't have near the defensive awareness, and while he can still improve in that area, i don't think he will ever reach that level defensively.
Okay. I appreciate the rebuttal and not just some cookie cutter answer. I agree, I don't think he'll ever be what Yelle was in our end, but JT had improved a lot. Quite honestly, we don't need him to be great on d if he reaches his offensive ceiling. Maybe I really am getting too old or too many concussions, but was our d core really anything special back then sans Roy?

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Okay. I appreciate the rebuttal and not just some cookie cutter answer. I agree, I don't think he'll ever be what Yelle was in our end, but JT had improved a lot. Quite honestly, we don't need him to be great on d if he reaches his offensive ceiling. Maybe I really am getting too old or too many concussions, but was our d core really anything special back then sans Roy?
Foote Blake Bourque Ozolish AVS had some stud D for quite a few season (those 4 never played together but we're there at some point)

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Foote Blake Bourque Ozolish AVS had some stud D for quite a few season (those 4 never played together but we're there at some point)

IMO, it was only above average before Bourque and Blake arrived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad