Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign JT Compher 4 Years 3.5M AAV

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I love how there seems to be a 4 year term cap for any non superstar player.

Joe's leaving as much money available as possible for when Mack needs his (substantial) raise.

Good contract imo.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
We’ll see if the Avs have 6 better expansion eligible players than JTC when the time comes

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Its fine. I don't think he's that great, particularly defensively, so he needs to improve there. If you look at a heat map of the Avs PK with and without him on the ice, they’re ridiculously better without him. It’s the same 5 on 5 but not to as big of an extent. To me he’s the most overrated forward on the team. He disappears for stretches and that seems to go unnoticed.

Reactions: MaKarter

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Its fine. I don't think he's that great, particularly defensively, so he needs to improve there. If you look at a heat map of the Avs PK with and without him on the ice, they’re ridiculously better without him. It’s the same 5 on 5 but not to as big of an extent. To me he’s the most overrated forward on the team. He disappears for stretches and that seems to go unnoticed.

I don't know if he's overrated, but he is pretty inconsistent, and I'm not sure that's going to go away. Kind of feels like that's who he is at 24. Especially considering he wasn't able to find a way to be more consistent in his contract year last season.

I'd like to see him get better on the PK as well, though that is often a role that forwards grow into in their mid 20's. So he still has time to get better. He looked to improve his defensive game a fair bit in the second half of last season as well. He needs to keep making improvements on both to round out a good two way role.

Especially if they're gonna play him at center, which I'm not sure is a great fit. He seems like a much bitter fit as a tweener middle six RW to me, but Donskoi complicates that a bit because that's basically his role too. I think part of why they brought in Donskoi is so they'd still have either him or Compher in that role after expansion.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I love how there seems to be a 4 year term cap for any non superstar player.

Joe's leaving as much money available as possible for when Mack needs his (substantial) raise.

Good contract imo.

IMO non-stars should be limited to 4 years or less. 4th liners and third pairing D should NEVER get more than 2. And really, unless it's an elite superstar around 23-25, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything more than five years.

Reactions: cgf

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't know if he's overrated, but he is pretty inconsistent, and I'm not sure that's going to go away. Kind of feels like that's who he is at 24. Especially considering he wasn't able to find a way to be more consistent in his contract year last season.

I'd like to see him get better on the PK as well, though that is often a role that forwards grow into in their mid 20's. So he still has time to get better. He looked to improve his defensive game a fair bit in the second half of last season as well. He needs to keep making improvements on both to round out a good two way role.

Especially if they're gonna play him at center, which I'm not sure is a great fit. He seems like a much bitter fit as a tweener middle six RW to me, but Donskoi complicates that a bit because that's basically his role too. I think part of why they brought in Donskoi is so they'd still have either him or Compher in that role after expansion.

I feel like this statement could apply to another 24-year old on the roster :huh::sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel like this statement could apply to another 24-year old on the roster :huh::sarcasm:

I'm assuming you're referring to the defenseman, and we all know there's a difference in development time for defenseman and forwards. Especially with regard to consistency.

It's much easier to be consistent as a forward than it is for a defenseman. Defenseman are the last line of attack before the goalie. Forwards have the defenseman to back them up if they make mistakes.

EJ was inconsistent until he was 25/26 in 2013-14.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think with Z its acknowledged universally. Compher seems to have this aura around him that he’s a good, consistent all around player when in reality, the Avs aren’t very good defensively when he’s out there and he disappears for long stretches. I guess I just thought he’d be more impactful, even with his offense being around what I expected.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Who were his most common line mates last season?

Tough to establish consistency with a rotating cast and playing multiple positions

Hopefully we sort out the second and third lines this season

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who were his most common line mates last season?

Tough to establish consistency with a rotating cast and playing multiple positions

Hopefully we sort out the second and third lines this season

Top row:

comphj.95

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
This feels a slightly higher than expected with that term, but I'm happy with it.

For the sake of discussion, here's what I posted 11 days ago regarding what I expected Compher to get:

Since the post above we've seen the following signings which are in the same ballpark as Compher's AAV. I've ordered them by AAV and separated them in what looks like tiers.
  • Johansson: 13 + 17 (58 games) - $4.5m / 2 years (RFA + NMC)
  • Ferland: 17 + 23 (71 games) - $3.5m / 4 years (UFA)
  • Dzingel: 26 + 30 (78 games) - $3.375 / 2 years (UFA)
  • Vrana: 24 + 23 (82 games) - $3.35 / 2 years (RFA)
  • Burakovsky: 12 + 13 (76 games) - $3.25m / 1 year (RFA QO)
  • Heinen: 11 + 23 (77 games) - $2.8m / 2 years (RFA)
  • Armia: 13 + 10 (57 games) - $2.6m / 2 years (RFA)
  • Iafallo: 15 + 18 (82 games) - $2.425m / 2 years (RFA)
  • Lekhonen: 11 + 20 (82 games) - $2.4m / 2 years (RFA)
  • Labanc: 17 + 39 (82 games) - $1m / 1 year (RFA)
The most notable comparable here is Ferland who got the exact same contract. Ferland had 0.65 points-per-game compared to Compher at 0.48ppg. Given that Ferland has injury issues though it feels unfair to say that Compher's deal is an overpayment in comparison to Ferland's, as I think it's more a case of Ferland getting underpaid due to his health risks.

Dzingel (0.72 ppg) and Vrana (0.57 ppg) put up more points than Compher, but got only 2 year deals. Those comparables make Compher's $3.5m/4 years look like a slight overpayment.

That said, Johansson is also roughly a 0.5 ppg player and got $1m more, so in that light Compher's contract seems good.

Looking back at the list in the quoted post above, Compher also got the exact same contract as Kerfoot and Connelly, which seems reasonable given their respective production. He also got slightly higher AAV than Johnsson and Kapanen at the same term, but the difference is small.

The most relevant of all the players from above are listed below for reference.
  • Compher: 16 + 16 (66 games) - $3.5m / 4 years (RFA)
  • Kerfoot: 15 + 27 (78 games) - $3.5m / 4 years (RFA)
  • Connelly: 22 + 24 (81 games) - $3.5m / 4 years (UFA)
  • Johnsson: 20 +23 (73 games) - $3.4m / 4 years (RFA)
  • Vrana: 24 + 23 (82 games) - $3.35 / 2 years (RFA)
  • Kapanen: 20 + 24 (78 games) - $3.2m / 3 years (RFA)
Looking at that list I think Compher's contract was at the higher end of what he should have gotten, but still within the range that is acceptable. Anything between $3.0m and $3.5m was what I predicted above (depending on the term), and it looks like Kapanen's $3.2m basically set the floor, and Connolly/Kerfoot set the ceiling, of what Compher could get. He got the ceiling at $3.5m, but still within the acceptable range.

With that in mind I'd say it's a fair deal, even though he got slightly overpaid compared to Kapanen/Vrana/Johnsson.

Another thing to note is that Compher's contract takes him to UFA at age 28. It also expires in 2023 which makes it a good length to maximise flexibility with Mackinnon's 2023 renewal in mind.

All-in-all it's a really solid deal.
I like the breakdown. To me, and someone else on here posted, if he could shore up his defensive game a bit more, we could see a Yelle 2.0, but with a higher offensive ceiling. Dude was such a solid utility player back in the day.....feels like this team is coming back around full circle via 1995. As a senior Avs fan (33 years old lol), it really feels like something specials-a-brewin.

Reactions: Richard88

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I like the breakdown. To me, and someone else on here posted, if he could shore up his defensive game a bit more, we could see a Yelle 2.0, but with a higher offensive ceiling. Dude was such a solid utility player back in the day.....feels like this team is coming back around full circle via 1995. As a senior Avs fan (33 years old lol), it really feels like something specials-a-brewin.

So, Cary Price to Colorado for a song in early December? :sarcasm: (Not that I want that cap hit from a goalie, nor does it take elite ‘tending to win a Cup/Cups)

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
He can be a difference maker when he feels like it (like the regular season games against Arizona and Chicago, or Game 6 vs San Jose), so the talent is there, it's just a matter of finding consistency.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Off topic but those of you who'd prefer to see Zads gone before the expansion draft - are you totally oblivious to the impact he has on our roster?

If we lose him we lose him, but we'd f***ing better not trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad