Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Hunter Miska to 2-year deal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They must really believe in Miska to give him two years. I don't like him or Werner as the #3 just yet, but it looks like that's our tandem on the Eagles.

The two year term makes it awkward to bring over Annunen next year though. One of Miska or Werner will have to go somewhere else to make room for him in the AHL.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
They must really believe in Miska to give him two years. I don't like him or Werner as the #3 just yet, but it looks like that's our tandem on the Eagles.

The two year term makes it awkward to bring over Annunen next year though. One of Miska or Werner will have to go somewhere else to make room for him in the AHL.

That somewhere else could be the ECHL, if such a thing exists.

I agree this shows a lot of faith in Miska after one good year, although it was an excellent year statistically.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Low risk signing, only $100K+ if he never reaches the NHL. Could be a steal if he continues to develop. Don't believe it'll block Annuen, might stay in Europe with all the problems with Covid.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Low risk signing, only $100K+ if he never reaches the NHL. Could be a steal if he continues to develop. Don't believe it'll block Annuen, might stay in Europe with all the problems with Covid.

In the hypothetical scenario that we protect Francouz and use the "UFA loophole" with Grubauer by leaving him unprotected and then resigning him in UFA, would Miska count as our exposed goaltender?

The text in the rules only mentions that each team has to protect "One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list."

Based on that statement Miska would qualify since he's signed for 2021/22. That statement doesn't mention anything about games played or about the contract being a one-way contract either. So unless there's some sort of requirement here that excludes Miska from counting as our exposed goaltender it's possible that Sakic signed him specifically to a 2 year deal in order to allow for some flexibility if we want to use that UFA loophole with Grubauer.

Reactions: MarkT and Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the hypothetical scenario that we protect Francouz and use the "UFA loophole" with Grubauer by leaving him unprotected and then resigning him in UFA, would Miska count as our exposed goaltender?

The text in the rules only mentions that each team has to protect "One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list."

Based on that statement Miska would qualify since he's signed for 2021/22. That statement doesn't mention anything about games played or about the contract being a one-way contract either. So unless there's some sort of requirement here that excludes Miska from counting as our exposed goaltender it's possible that Sakic signed him specifically to a 2 year deal in order to allow for some flexibility if we want to use that UFA loophole with Grubauer.

I'm sure it is a loophole for Grubs, but the two year part is there so they certainly have their goalie to expose. If Grubs falters, they can protect Frank and move on from Grubs.

Reactions: Richard88

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I believe it does, since it only states "contract" which should include Minors. Bowers contract was pushed until after July 01st. College season was already over, he could have played for the remainder of the AHL season and playoff. Instead, his contact was effective July 01st and only allowed a PTO, which likely means he would be exposed to the draft.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Don't the unprotected players have to have so many NHL minutes of experience? Pretty sure you can't just call up several AHLers and leave them exposed and have the excuse be that you have too many UFAs.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Don't the unprotected players have to have so many NHL minutes of experience? Pretty sure you can't just call up several AHLers and leave them exposed and have the excuse be that you have too many UFAs.
At least two forwards and 1 defenseman have to have played at least 40 games in 2020/21. But there doesn't seem to be any such requirement for goalies.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
200.gif

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The more I think about it, the more I’m baffled by this 2-year contract.

Wouldn’t the plan be to transition Annunen into this spot next season? The Avs must absolutely love this guy.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The more I think about it, the more I’m baffled by this 2-year contract.

Wouldn’t the plan be to transition Annunen into this spot next season? The Avs must absolutely love this guy.
Having Miska signed through 2021/22 gives us the option of still having a goalie exposed (Miska) in the Expansion Draft if we want to let Grubauer walk in UFA next year (or use the UFA loophole with him to effectively protect both our goalies).

It's also not as if we can't trade him if we need to make room for Annunen. Trading him in 2021 for something with 1 year remaining would be better than letting him walk for nothing.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah the two year contract gives a ton of options to Sakic comes next summer for the XD making sure that they do have one goalie eligible.

I don't see the 2nd year of this contract blocking Annunen as well. Again it gives Sakic some options. For example prior to the XD they could protect Gru, trade Frankie and if Werner showed enough this season he could become Gru's backup next season leaving them with a Miska-Annunen tandem.

I like the contract and Miska.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Two year deal also gives them some security if they include Werner in a deadline deal for a vet #3.

Reactions: MarkT

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
How does he look in net? .924 save percentage last season is pretty solid.

Like he does enough cocaine to kill a horse and just goes crazy in the crease. Could work for a short period of time in the NHL until the shooters slow the game down and just wire shots over his shoulders with regularity.

Reactions: Chiarelli

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I doubt he has any real NHL potential, but if you want to give your prospects experience winning games, you need decent AHL goaltending too. He's a guy who is probably just happy to have a contract, and isn't going to get upset if he doesn't get a shot at the NHL. He's also not European, so he's less likely to just leave North America if he doesn't get enough opportunities. Possibly the ideal guy to have around because he could be the AHL starter, AHL backup, or ECHL starter depending on what we need from him. Heck, maybe he can even fill in effectively for a few games with the Avs like Gigantor is implying.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno, I don't really have a problem with this signing. It allows the Avs flexibility going into the expansion draft and he pretty much saved the organization's bacon when they went a little too light on goaltending and Bibeau spontaneously combusted. I really don't think this is really going to impede any plans the Avs have for Justus League, if he ends up coming over, it shouldn't be that hard to demote or trade Miska somewhere else.

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad