Confirmed with Link: 2019 Off-Season: re-sign F Colin Wilson ($2.6m AAV x 1y)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Meh. Can live with it, could have lived without it. Injury fill in on the top 6.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Considering some of the prices that other depth players were getting and others like Dzingel and Ferland will get, I am actually stoked to have Wilson back. Hopefully he doesn't have an injury filled year and hopefully the other moves make him slide down the line up, if both of those occur then this is a great deal. Of course he doesn't have the skills, but on the bottom two lines we just need compete and he brings it.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
noixxl5.png

Reactions: avsfan09 and Avsboy

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I love it. More veteran depth. A proven playoff performer with us. A guy who can fill in on the top 6 in a pinch, but won't hurt us if he's playing on the 4th line either. Makes the young guys really earn a spot too because they'll have to outplay him to earn minutes.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm just not a big fan of his game, and looking now there will be few guys that will had for similar money that would fit better, IMO.

Nice guy and all, so i'm not mad or anything, but we could have done better.

Not sure they could have in terms of filling out that third line.

The key this time around is that he doesn't get slotted too high in the lineup again, he's a good third liner, but has had to play a 2nd line role his first two years in Denver, and that's really when the warts in his game show. Sure as hell hope Burakovsky and Jost bring it on opening night!!!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm just not a big fan of his game, and looking now there will be few guys that will had for similar money that would fit better, IMO.

Nice guy and all, so i'm not mad or anything, but we could have done better.
Better the devil you know than the one you don't. I see that bein the case here with Wilson. One year is fine by me I just hope hes not gonna be given 1st unit PP time.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Better the devil you know than the one you don't. I see that bein the case here with Wilson. One year is fine by me I just hope hes not gonna be given 1st unit PP time.
Wilson playing the spare-man role on PP1 might be worth it as it means Kadri could run PP2 (with Jost, Burakovsky, Girard, and one of Byram/Rosen/Compher/Donskoi)

Reactions: McMetal

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wilson playing the spare-man role on PP1 might be worth it as it means Kadri could run PP2 (with Jost, Burakovsky, Girard, and one of Byram/Rosen/Compher/Donskoi)
I didn't like him on the 1st unit apart from a few games last season and I don't want him being the spare man on that unit either. Spare-man im assuming Wilson is the open forward who will likely get the last touch? Yah I don't want that. The last touch should be everyone else on that unit and not Wilson. Jared needs to devise a PP where Mackinnon is the trigger.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I didn't like him on the 1st unit apart from a few games last season and I don't want him being the spare man on that unit either. Spare-man im assuming Wilson is the open forward who will likely get the last touch? Yah I don't want that. The last touch should be everyone else on that unit and not Wilson. Jared needs to devise a PP where Mackinnon is the trigger.
By "spare man" I meant the guy screening the goaltender, who tends to not be involved in the skilled passing plays as much but just needs to be big enough to hold the space between the D's and smash in some rebounds.

I'm not saying that I think it's the right solution to play Wilson on PP1, and Landeskog can certainly play that role too, but spreading the wealth around to make a strong PP2 unit to play against tired PK's would be valuable as well.6

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
By "spare man" I meant the guy screening the goaltender, who tends to not be involved in the skilled passing plays as much but just needs to be big enough to hold the space between the D's and smash in some rebounds.

I'm not saying that I think it's the right solution to play Wilson on PP1, and Landeskog can certainly play that role too, but spreading the wealth around to make a strong PP2 unit to play against tired PK's would be valuable as well.6
Im all for loading up that top unit lol

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wilson did fine as the net front guy on the PP, you don't want to add too many big guns to your top unit, as there will always be somebody who is the fifth wheel and doesn't get utilized to their fullest extent. If you run PP1 with MacK, Makar, Landy, Rants, AND Kadri, that's just too many people who need the puck.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wilson did fine as the net front guy on the PP, you don't want to add too many big guns to your top unit, as there will always be somebody who is the fifth wheel and doesn't get utilized to their fullest extent. If you run PP1 with MacK, Makar, Landy, Rants, AND Kadri, that's just too many people who need the puck.
Just pass it to Nathan.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
PP1:

------------------- Wilson --------------------
Mackinnon ---- Landeskog ----- Rantanen
-------------------Makar ----------------------

PP2:

------------------- Compher ------------------
Kadri --------------- Jost ------- Burakovsky
-------------------- Girard --------------------

PP2 above feels like it needs a RHS on the left wall, and there are too many LHS who all want to be on the right. You could replace Burakovsky with Donskoi and it balances it up, but it sounds like Burakovski has been promised more ice time and thus time on the PP. Thus, loading up might actually be better balanced after all:

PP1:

------------------- Landeskog ------------------
Mackinnon ------- Kadri ---------- Rantanen
-------------------- Makar ----------------------

PP2:6

--------------------- Wilson ------------------
Donskoi ---------- Jost ------- Burakovsky
-------------------- Girard --------------------

That also keeps Compher off the powerplay and thus fresher for PK duty with Bellemare/Nieto/Calvert.

EDIT: Writing that out shows pretty clearly how logically this roster has been put together. The special team roles and RHS/LHS distribution is absolutely perfect.6

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This was not a successful signing which is a shame because I liked Wilson. Hopefully he'll be able to find another job in the NHL if he's healthy.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Considering some of the prices that other depth players were getting and others like Dzingel and Ferland will get, I am actually stoked to have Wilson back. Hopefully he doesn't have an injury filled year and hopefully the other moves make him slide down the line up, if both of those occur then this is a great deal. Of course he doesn't have the skills, but on the bottom two lines we just need compete and he brings it.
Kiss of death right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad