Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Chris Wagner to 1-year deal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The two way deal likely means he’s the call up more than a regular player.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
JMFJ has been fine this season as the 6D. For that cap hit and familiarity with the system, you'll be hard pressed to find better value.

Agreed. JMFJ still moves surprisingly well for a guy his age. If he wants to stick around for dirt cheap, I’m good with that.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I imagine this is where the Avs are going to try saving money next season at 4C.

Wagner at 775K, JMFJ if he wants to play another season at 775K, Kiviranta as the extra forward for 775K. Malinski on his cheap deal as 3RD.

Going to be a lot of sub-1M players next season on the roster.
Falling into a pattern aren't we? Go all in and win a cup but lose all your depth due to the cap. Suck a year. Go all in again this year but will lose all the new guys due to the cap. We're going to suck again next year. But then should be able to go all in and win again in 2025-26.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Falling into a pattern aren't we? Go all in and win a cup but lose all your depth due to the cap. Suck a year. Go all in again this year but will lose all the new guys due to the cap. We're going to suck again next year. But then should be able to go all in and win again in 2025-26.
If the Avs can win 3 cups in 5 seasons, they can suck for the next 20 years and I'll be content.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Interesting. That's actually a worse deal than he signed last summer, where he got the same $775k in the NHL, with $375k in AHL, but a $425k guarantee.

He and his agent must have been a little worried about getting left out in the cold and possibly getting a worse deal in UFA. Or maybe they got some assurances that he may stay in the NHL longer next year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I imagine this is where the Avs are going to try saving money next season at 4C.

Wagner at 775K, JMFJ if he wants to play another season at 775K, Kiviranta as the extra forward for 775K. Malinski on his cheap deal as 3RD.

Going to be a lot of sub-1M players next season on the roster.
But but but I thought it was impossible to fill that many roles with league minimum contracts :sarcasm:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Interesting. That's actually a worse deal than he signed last summer, where he got the same $775k in the NHL, with $375k in AHL, but a $425k guarantee.

He and his agent must have been a little worried about getting left out in the cold and possibly getting a worse deal in UFA. Or maybe they got some assurances that he may stay in the NHL longer next year.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts the year at 4C just due to the cap crunch and then he gets upgraded on at the TDL. We should have no issue getting the the bulk of the season with him at 4C and he’d be fine as the 13F going into the playoffs imo.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
JMFJ has been fine this season as the 6D. For that cap hit and familiarity with the system, you'll be hard pressed to find better value.
I thought he was really good all things considered until he got hurt. He's been really bad ever since and Bednar has been going out of his way to shelter him/limit his minutes.

I'm not going to pitch a fit if he returns next year but, like EJ, I hope he hangs them up this summer.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts the year at 4C just due to the cap crunch and then he gets upgraded on at the TDL. We should have no issue getting the the bulk of the season with him at 4C and he’d be fine as the 13F going into the playoffs imo.

Yeah, I agree. I've been saying for a while now that they'll probably need to lose at least one of Manson/Lehky and still need to go with a lot of league min guys next year. They need every penny they can get if Landy comes back.

I was thinking both Wags and Kiviranta could come back. Kiviranta's play has dipped, but Bednar has spoken highly of both him and Wagner. Said Kivi was an NHLer earlier in the year and he obviously likes Wagner more than Oloffsson because it didn't take many games for him to swap them.

If they move a couple big salaries in the off season his two way deal will give them some wiggle room to bring in a bigger salary, but if they only move one, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wags in the opening lineup.

Not sure if Cogs comes back, but he's got history with Wags too. I could see them go with a Cogs - Wags - Kivi 4th line with Kovalenko at 3rd line RW if LOC isn't ready to start the year.

Perhaps even more than this year, next year they'll just need to get by on some budget deals until the deadline, and then add better bottom sixers if they need to on prorated deals.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad