Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-sign Cale Makar to 6-Year Deal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is the Matthews contract for D.

Rightfully more than any recent RFA comp (Heskainen or Chabot). And in line with the most recent marquee UFA contract (Jones and Pietrangelo). And it takes Makar right to UFA.

Difference is the best F can command 11m while the best D are coming in around 9m.

Aves fans need to think twice now before laughing at the Matthews contract.
Yep. This isn't a bad contract but this isn't a bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

Jeff Marek called it "unprecedented" in the 31 thoughts podcast.

A lot of people don't fully understand the "buying just one UFA year" thing and why it's good for the player and bad for the team.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yep. This isn't a bad contract but this isn't a bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

A lot of people don't fully understand the "buying just one UFA year" thing and why it's good for the player and bad for the team.
9x7 is where I would've been happy. 9x6 is understandable but still a bit disappointing. A compromise from both sides for sure.

Reactions: Foppa2118

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Unless the team has a rift with the player, the 1 year of UFA won't even factor it. If you value the player highly and reach an extension before they get to FA then it won't be a big deal.
The problem comes in when teams know the player has leverage and still tries to pinch pennies.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Great deal IMO I would have bet alot of money on the cap hit being 10 mill. Makar could have went after a massive payday. It's funny you think of someone like Miro as a comparable but when you look at there numbers/accomplishments you realize how big the gap is. I would imagine every agent is hanging up the phone if you even try and go there.

The cap hit on a 8 year deal would probably be too big for Sakic after the Jones/Miro deals. A bridge deal potentially walks you into a situation where both MacKinnon and Makar are making 12+ mill in a couple years. If Makar continues his pace do you really want to re-sign him in 3 years?

Even if it's only 6 years getting Makar under 10 mill feels like a big win. Really no comparisons out there outside of maybe someone like Matthews.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
I think Sakic made a big error in waiting so long to sign Makar. I'd bet if he signed before Heiskanen/Jones that he coulda got an extra year or slightly lower AAV. As soon as that Heiskanen contract was signed things changed for Makar's camp in a big way.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is the Matthews contract for D.

Rightfully more than any recent RFA comp (Heskainen or Chabot). And in line with the most recent marquee UFA contract (Jones and Pietrangelo). And it takes Makar right to UFA.

Difference is the best F can command 11m while the best D are coming in around 9m.

Aves fans need to think twice now before laughing at the Matthews contract.
Nah, I'll still laugh at it. I don't see the comparison to Matthews at all.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
9x6 is an amazing contract for Makar, of course 7/8 would be better but you got to give to get.
8 years and were looking at the karlsson contract aka a real comparable for the matthews contract (the only comparable would be the threat of offersheet, everysingle team in the league would offersheet this man at 4X11 or 5 x10 or 7 x 12).
In 6 years we will have cups and goodwill to sign our franchise players or we will have no cups and be wanting to get rid of them anyways. This is such a win for the avalanche

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Matthews has 24 points in 32 playoff games and Makar has 31 points in 35 games. Makar's numbers really are absurd when you try and find a comparable for him. He's been PPG the past two playoffs with a pretty decent sample size.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I think Sakic made a big error in waiting so long to sign Makar. I'd bet if he signed before Heiskanen/Jones that he coulda got an extra year or slightly lower AAV. As soon as that Heiskanen contract was signed things changed for Makar's camp in a big way.
Show me that Sakic waited…

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

You're making a ton of assumptions here. We've no idea what really happened behind closed doors.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sakic is lucky Makars agent didn't wait out most of the offseason.

Reactions: Foppa2118

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Matthews has 24 points in 32 playoff games and Makar has 31 points in 35 games. Makar's numbers really are absurd when you try and find a comparable for him. He's been PPG the past two playoffs with a pretty decent sample size.
As a defenseman. That's key in this. Hes putting up those numbers in the hardest time as a dman. Truly remarkable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad