Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Drouin 2016-17 Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The expansion draft is like two days before the entry draft. It's not like you'd have to wait long.

I know.

Looked at the main boards hanifin thread and people are saying Duchene and his only 2 years remaining hurts his value so much the avs need a plus.

To me the poor season + contract of Duchene makes his value equal to hanifin and his current skill level vs potential.

Just do a 1+1 trade and get it over with. Only other trade I would do would be hanifin + 12 for Duchene + bigras. If Miro is there at 4 take him, if not take valiardi and grab liljegren or makar at 12.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really hope this Duchene business is over with before the expansion draft. But I won't be surprised when I am watching the draft and nothing happens.

Nothing can be done before the ED. It's highly unlikely that we will see any major trades before that because any traded assets would need to be protected by the acquiring team. Protecting Duchene would just mean the team has to expose a better asset.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Where Dallas is really bad is that they have 3 players on the current roster that they can build around for 3-4+ years. Seguin, Benn, and Klingberg. The rest are not core piece types, or too old. The Avs have at least 5, up to 7. The Avs pool is better too.

I think Dallas and Colorado have a number of similarities: they both currently stink, have lottery draft picks in 2017, have lousy defensive rosters, poor forward depth, questionable goaltending, lots of missed high draft picks over the past 6-8 years, a few proven high end players, and one recent anomaly season that made them look much better than they really are/were. Lots of similarities there.

I suppose Stars fans and Avs fans could argue back and forth about who has the better prospect pool, but I suspect that would just be an exercise in who overrates their prospects more. :laugh: To me, the two major differences between the two organizations that could quite likely override the current state of the two prospect pools are : Nill/Hitchcock vs. Sakic/Bednar in general, and trade deadline/asset management philosophy.

Both teams were out of the running this past season. Avs did nothing to address their future, while Dallas made 4 trades netting 4 assets under 25 years of age. (IIRC, the Anaheim 2nd round pick they got in return for Eaves, turns into a 1st round pick if Anaheim wins game 7 against Edmonton.)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think it really comes down to admitting there was a problem this year, if Bednar goes then other questions get asked. It's also not the Avs way to get rid of someone after a year and the Avs way must always be upheld.

LOL, no kidding. Pretty amazing how the echo chamber is the one contant.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Dallas and Colorado have a number of similarities: they both currently stink, have lottery draft picks in 2017, have lousy defensive rosters, poor forward depth, questionable goaltending, lots of missed high draft picks over the past 6-8 years, a few proven high end players, and one recent anomaly season that made them look much better than they really are/were. Lots of similarities there.

I suppose Stars fans and Avs fans could argue back and forth about who has the better prospect pool, but I suspect that would just be an exercise in who overrates their prospects more. :laugh: To me, the two major differences between the two organizations that could quite likely override the current state of the two prospect pools are : Nill/Hitchcock vs. Sakic/Bednar in general, and trade deadline/asset management philosophy.

Both teams were out of the running this past season. Avs did nothing to address their future, while Dallas made 4 trades netting 4 assets under 25 years of age. (IIRC, the Anaheim 2nd round pick they got in return for Eaves, turns into a 1st round pick if Anaheim wins game 7 against Edmonton.)

Well I hate Hitch, but his system can work. Nill is a pretty bad GM IMO.

I think the Avs have a much better young core and that isn't a place where the Stars can easily catch up. The picks this year will be a similar quality to the core, so they won't even get a leg up this year. It would take a couple years of great drafting to get that core up, a place where they don't seem to shine.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
(IIRC, the Anaheim 2nd round pick they got in return for Eaves, turns into a 1st round pick if Anaheim wins game 7 against Edmonton.)

I believe there's a minimum requirement of games played from Eaves before that pick turns into a 1st (and he's been injured in these playoffs).

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
To be fair, you can't say the Avs did nothing. They got Andrighetto, who is 24 years old, and put up 15 points in 19 games, in the NHL. Yes, they could have claimed him on waivers earlier in the season, but you could go back on a lot of players and say the team could have got them at this point or that point.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
To be fair, you can't say the Avs did nothing. They got Andrighetto, who is 24 years old, and put up 15 points in 19 games, in the NHL. Yes, they could have claimed him on waivers earlier in the season, but you could go back on a lot of players and say the team could have got them at this point or that point.

So basically a trade that fell into Sakic's lap is exactly what that was. Bergevin wanted some bigger guys on the bottom line, and Sakic got what he could. Obviously he didn't know he'd play as well as he did.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Almost all players I wanted to get rid of were so bad this season, it's fully understandable Sakic couldn't trade them.

Getting rid of Martinsen and Iginla was decent.

I suspect Sakic might be a bit passive and wait for other GMs to call him instead of trying to actively sell the players he wants to trade, but it's impossible to know.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I really hope this Duchene business is over with before the expansion draft. But I won't be surprised when I am watching the draft and nothing happens.

I'm guessing it happens after. Good chance teams are waiting to see if they lose someone to expansion that they might otherwise need to add to the deal due to cap reasons. Montreal for example is probably hoping Vegas takes Emelin for whatever reason. If not then they have to get rid of him somehow. Coincidently, we are in a position to take on a cap dump and get a little more value from the deal.

Though if we were to deal with, say Anaheim, then they would really want to make a trade before expansion so that they can protect 7-3.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Rags have a legit #1D in McDonagh. That covers a lot of holes. Skjei is a damn good young D with a very bright future, when he gets experience, he is going to be really good. Girardi, Holden, Smith, and Staal are not nearly as bad as HF makes them out to be. None of them are top 3D types, but #4-5 types and given their depth the bottom 4 can be used better situationally.

The Rags in general are a team that is built with a #1D, #1C, and #1G with a crapload of depth. They can roll all lines and pairings based upon who is playing better that night. It is a hell of a luxury to have and kind of goes against the grain of what the NHL has been lately with the top teams. I think they are an incredibly interesting team in how they have built.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
So basically a trade that fell into Sakic's lap is exactly what that was. Bergevin wanted some bigger guys on the bottom line, and Sakic got what he could. Obviously he didn't know he'd play as well as he did.

And obviously he didn't know Colborne and Soderberg would play as poorly as they did this season. So we can't blame Sakic for those signings, right?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Rags have a legit #1D in McDonagh. That covers a lot of holes. Skjei is a damn good young D with a very bright future, when he gets experience, he is going to be really good. Girardi, Holden, Smith, and Staal are not nearly as bad as HF makes them out to be. None of them are top 3D types, but #4-5 types and given their depth the bottom 4 can be used better situationally.

The Rags in general are a team that is built with a #1D, #1C, and #1G with a crapload of depth. They can roll all lines and pairings based upon who is playing better that night. It is a hell of a luxury to have and kind of goes against the grain of what the NHL has been lately with the top teams. I think they are an incredibly interesting team in how they have built.

They are, as they don't have a very good 1C IMO, but passable one with very good center depth overall. They're an underrated team.

When I watch Girardi I don't think he is super bad, just a bottom pairing D. To my eye Staal is worse.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
And obviously he didn't know Colborne and Soderberg would play as poorly as they did this season. So we can't blame Sakic for those signings, right?

No, but Sakic is the GM, and he just watched his team go through a historically bad season and did absolutely nothing about it. So yes, I do blame Sakic to an extent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They are, as they don't have a very good 1C IMO, but passable one with very good center depth overall. They're an underrated team.

When I watch Girardi I don't think he is super bad, just a bottom pairing D. To my eye Staal is worse.

I'm a big Stepan fan. I really think he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL. He doesn't put up big offensive numbers, but he is a legit #1C to me especially with how he plays in all situations and eats up ice time.

IMO it is splitting hairs between the evaluation on Girardi (agree Staal is the worst). Out of that group Smith is probably the best, but I could see arguments for Holden. Each player has their strengths and can be deployed appropriately (helps that AV is a good coach).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I also believe Staal is worse than Girardi. I actually think Staal is their worst defensemen.

At the year end presser Blues said upgrading center is hard.

Would they want Duchene? Is Joel Edmundsun any good?

Surely you don't want to trade Duchene for Joel Edmundson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->