Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Drouin 2016-17 Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The only reason I can think the Avs are willing to keep Bednar is Sakic has realistic expectations that next year is another rebuilding year and rebuilding with Bednar is just as good as rebuilding with another coach. If Sakic expected the team to compete next year then he'd be forced to bring in another coach, which he may very well do early into the season when the Avs struggle again.

The entry draft is going to be critical for determining what kind of season management is looking for. The worst thing Sakic can do is nothing.

Babcock would disagree.

Results would be similar, but getting rid of the loser's stink in the locker room would go a long way.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Babcock would disagree.

Results would be similar, but getting rid of the loser's stink in the locker room would go a long way.

To be fair, you took that sentence to mean I agree. But I think that's what Sakic thinks. I'm indifferent to whether it is valuable or not, think it's very specific to the coach in question and don't know enough about Bednar to make a decision. I tuned out most of this season, for all I know his locker room presence is actually a good thing and he's just an awful tactician and assessor of talent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
hD1aemO.jpg

About 500x better than Sakic.

The only reason I can think the Avs are willing to keep Bednar is Sakic has realistic expectations that next year is another rebuilding year and rebuilding with Bednar is just as good as rebuilding with another coach. If Sakic expected the team to compete next year then he'd be forced to bring in another coach, which he may very well do early into the season when the Avs struggle again.

The entry draft is going to be critical for determining what kind of season management is looking for. The worst thing Sakic can do is nothing.

Fundamentally disagree. Bednar will stifle the creativity of the best players on this team, won't allow them to grow or develop in that area, and won't play to their strengths (not that Sutter would be better... he wouldn't be my choice). He will end up ruining Barrie's value completely, and if Duchene somehow makes it through the summer... it will be absolutely killed for him too. Landy might fall in that group as well. I hope to be wrong since Bednar is sticking around, but I expect the Avs' core really struggle if Bednar is around all season next year.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If the organization is putting in literal throw away years, thinking players develop with time , then I need to move on and not put another ounce of energy into them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I think it really comes down to admitting there was a problem this year, if Bednar goes then other questions get asked. It's also not the Avs way to get rid of someone after a year and the Avs way must always be upheld. They don't have expectations of rebuilding because there's no plan of rebuilding. They might slow down on ****** UFAs and burning assets and playing more young kids but that's not an expectation of being bottom 5, they always expect their core players are enough to carry them.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I think it's safe to say he'll be gone at 3. Assuming he's high on their board I could see Dallas leveraging that against us as we blow a couple late picks to swap with them...maybe not likely given the circumstances, but I could see it.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
According to Bob's poll, which is usually pretty accurate, Vilardi is the consensus #3

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think it really comes down to admitting there was a problem this year, if Bednar goes then other questions get asked. It's also not the Avs way to get rid of someone after a year and the Avs way must always be upheld. They don't have expectations of rebuilding because there's no plan of rebuilding. They might slow down on ****** UFAs and burning assets and playing more young kids but that's not an expectation of being bottom 5, they always expect their core players are enough to carry them.

I don't believe the Avs have a way. Weren't the Avs caught interviewing new coaches before they fired their current one a few years ago.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Any idea who that poll is based from? NHL team scouts? Fans?

Here are the varying polls, majority has Vilardi going either 3-5 OA. Heiskanen 4-11.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286867

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=250075

I still believe Vilardi might be the better player, but it will depend on the needs of Dallas.

Dallas need young forwards, but they have no D in the system. Given the aging players, they're on a win-now mode and might not wait 2-3 years for Heiskanen or any other D to be ready.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is there an NHL team in worse shape than the Dallas Stars? For example Montreal's future looks horrid but they do have Weber who's still decent for the next few years. They have the best goaltender in the NHL. So at least they're still a playoff team so fans can enjoy the "Now". As for Dallas though, they aren't a good hockey team. They don't have a goaltender. Their prospect cupboard is empty.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Is there an NHL team in worse shape than the Dallas Stars? For example Montreal's future looks horrid but they do have Weber who's still decent for the next few years. They have the best goaltender in the NHL. So at least they're still a playoff team so fans can enjoy the "Now". As for Dallas though, they aren't a good hockey team. They don't have a goaltender. Their prospect cupboard is empty.

They have Jim Nill, he's a genius, so they'll be fine.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't believe the Avs have a way. Weren't the Avs caught interviewing new coaches before they fired their current one a few years ago.

Oh they certainly have a way. It's an extremely pervasive culture and process how they go about things. Doesn't mean it's good or right but to them they think it does.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Wasn't someone saying they are a contender the other day? That's still the perception. I don't think they are in that bad shape, not any worse than us. They have a few decent prospects, just like we do. Some great offensive players, superstar Klingberg. I think the Rangers are hitching a meh roster and truly zero futures to however long Hank can drag them somewhere and Detroit has a bunch of crap contracts to deal with and a GM who might love vets more than Sakic who might also not understand the concept of a rebuild. Those are the two futures I wouldn't want to sit through.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

Have Guryanov/Honka/Lindell graduated from prospect status already? Jack Campbell was a bad pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Where Dallas is really bad is that they have 3 players on the current roster that they can build around for 3-4+ years. Seguin, Benn, and Klingberg. The rest are not core piece types, or too old. The Avs have at least 5, up to 7. The Avs pool is better too.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Weren't we on Shattenkirk's sign and trade list last season?
1. Trade Barrie for Drouin
2. Sign Shattenkirk
3. Profit?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wasn't someone saying they are a contender the other day? That's still the perception. I don't think they are in that bad shape, not any worse than us. They have a few decent prospects, just like we do. Some great offensive players, superstar Klingberg. I think the Rangers are hitching a meh roster and truly zero futures to however long Hank can drag them somewhere and Detroit has a bunch of crap contracts to deal with and a GM who might love vets more than Sakic who might also not understand the concept of a rebuild. Those are the two futures I wouldn't want to sit through.

The Rangers are an absurdly deep hockey team, though. IMO they finished where they did this season in spite of Lundqvist, and he hasn't exactly been great in this 2nd round series vs Ottawa. Though I will agree that they don't really have much in the way of futures.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Rangers are an absurdly deep hockey team, though. IMO they finished where they did this season in spite of Lundqvist, and he hasn't exactly been great in this 2nd round series vs Ottawa. Though I will agree that they don't really have much in the way of futures.

Yep... no real great players, but a lot of good ones. Stepan is probably the most underrated player in the NHL.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I really hope this Duchene business is over with before the expansion draft. But I won't be surprised when I am watching the draft and nothing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad