Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Drouin 2016-17 Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If EJ didn't have a long term contract already, I'm sure the Avs would have got more for him at the deadline than Shattenkirk. Look how Dreger said GMs view Shattenkirk, and look at how he is being used in Washington.

EJ on the other hand would have been a giant top pairing defenceman ready to step into a lot of teams' top-4 and devour minutes.

I'd trade EJ for Drouin though. Age wise it makes sense. And potentially bolstering MacKinnon's play as well.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
If EJ didn't have a long term contract already, I'm sure the Avs would have got more for him at the deadline than Shattenkirk. Look how Dreger said GMs view Shattenkirk, and look at how he is being used in Washington.

EJ on the other hand would have been a giant top pairing defenceman ready to step into a lot of teams' top-4 and devour minutes.

I'd trade EJ for Drouin though. Age wise it makes sense. And potentially bolstering MacKinnon's play as well.

Tampa would probably laugh and hang up on that deal. Have to imagine talks would start with Barrie.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Of course Barrie is going to be super easy to replace. Just look at how many top 4 defensemen this club has had over the last few years and how easily Sakic has been able to acquire them with a simple phone call.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Sweet. EJ has to stay IMO, replacing EJ will be damn near impossible in the near future I'd say.

Surrounding MacKinnon with skilled players his age is more important IMO. EJ has to go if Duchene goes. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Why does EJ have to go if Duchene is going? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Well I suppose it doesn't if Duchene returns an equal player of the same age. Otherwise it looks like the Avs are starting another rebuild.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well I suppose it doesn't if Duchene returns an equal player of the same age. Otherwise it looks like the Avs are starting another rebuild.

EJ needs to be there to shelter the young D. You can't just throw a young D into #1 minutes and expect them to grow there. EJ will be the mentor for the next few years for the new D core, and the price the team will pay for those years he helps with developing the next generation will be the last two years of his then-unmovable contract.

There is no reasonable alternative to fill that role that we could acquire (unless you want another Beauchemin/Tyutin out of free agency). The contract will be painful for those last two years as he slides off the top pairing, but it's the price we had to pay to get him to re-sign with us. This team with EJ is still much better than it is without him both present and future.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's very difficult to complete even one deal, I'm not comfortable assuming they pull multiple deals off.

Being a GM is difficult. Completing two medium to big sized deals in one off season is something many GM's have been able to do when reseting/rebuilding a roster. It's part of the job.

Now, whether Joe Sakic can pull off making two deals is another matter. That I share your pessimism in.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Surrounding MacKinnon with skilled players his age is more important IMO. EJ has to go if Duchene goes. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Ok and who replaces the ~25 minutes a night and faces all the tough competition that EJ does? Zadorov while improving sure isn't the answer for that, Bigras isn't, Barrie isn't. I mean it makes sense in theory to put the core all around the same age but leaving Zadorov, Barrie, or Beauch or someone else to do the heavy lifting on the D is just asking for trouble. And there's no way we could replace EJ anytime soon if we get rid of him, it'd just be dumb to trade him unless we get another defenseman who's younger and can do what he does.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
And getting a younger, healthier version of EJ who can step in and IMMEDIATELY fill that role next year is tantamount to finding an elf riding a unicorn. Those are not available for trade, and on the rare occasion that they do come up, they cost things like "MacKinnon+". Seriously, nobody should still think the solution to that problem is "just trade for one" after seeing how hard it has been for this org to get them over the last decade.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Being a GM is difficult. Completing two medium to big sized deals in one off season is something many GM's have been able to do when reseting/rebuilding a roster. It's part of the job.

Now, whether Joe Sakic can pull off making two deals is another matter. That I share your pessimism in.

I don't think it's fair to expect a GM in todays market to pull off two high quality top four defenders in one off-season unless the circumstances perfectly align. Clubs are hoarding these guys. Unless you want to insanely overpay in free agency and cripple the club, I suppose.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
EJ needs to be moved while he still has some value.

He is an injury prone player, and will not be reliable enough to shelter the youth. Plus, I'm really sick of his Jekyll and Hyde play. We gave him the big contract and he turned into a meh player.

Find another veteran, preferably a cheaper one, to shelter the youth.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Of course Barrie is going to be super easy to replace. Just look at how many top 4 defensemen this club has had over the last few years and how easily Sakic has been able to acquire them with a simple phone call.
Your condescending posts are really great...

People have different opinions on how to build the team and what to do. No reason to be a smart ass. It sure as hell won't be easy to find top 4 defenseman, but a guy like Drouin isn't exactly easy to find either.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Your condescending posts are really great...

People have different opinions on how to build the team and what to do. No reason to be a smart ass. It sure as hell won't be easy to find top 4 defenseman, but a guy like Drouin isn't exactly easy to find either.

It just really blows my mind that everybody is mad at Sakic because our defense still sucks, acting like they could do better, then when the opportunity to get a good top six winger comes along, people start to argue about which defenseman they would move to acquire him. The lack of self-awareness is astounding to me.

Drouin is a top six winger, and not a game changer. I would argue that those are much, much easier to find than top four defensemen in the modern NHL.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
A pretty big overpayment. I personally don't wanna see him moved at all. You do realize that's our biggest need you ain't gonna wanna hear it

I really doubt he signs a long term contract now. He could get more ice time as soon as next year and establishes himself as a real top 4. Now, what's his value on a short term 1-2 years?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really doubt he signs a long term contract now. He could get more ice time as soon as next year and establishes himself as a real top 4. Now, what's his value on a short term 1-2 years?

Just to be clear, you are talking AAV, right? Not trade?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
So if by some miracle Sakic could pull off an EJ for Drouin swap, then a Duchene for Hanifin swap, would people be upset?

Hanifin - Barrie
Zadorov - Barbario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad