Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Damn, anyone else feel like Sakic should have taken the deal with Islanders? Hamonic, 1st round pick and +. Then trade Hamonic to Calgary for 1st and 2x 2nds.

I don't think he would ever get better offer.

I know It's just picks, but I would have been more than happy..

It never would have happened. First of all, it involves not only the trade but hypothetical subsequent moves with other teams to complete the deal, which is extremely rare and those types of deals would be tremendously complex deals to complete.

Secondly, it involves no current assets in terms of players, prospects, etc. that you can sell to fans. You would only have draft picks for a draft over a year away for a player signed for two more years, so the return would be historically rare (I can think of no other comparable example).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
2 firsts and 2 seconds for Duchene would be pretty handy.

Give me 2 firsts and 2 seconds.. Sounds good to me. Duchene gets what he wants, we get some futures. That's fine. If nothing else it adds organizational depth, which sucks at the moment anyway.

Sakic is probably looking for young top-4 defenseman in a swap for Duchene.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It never would have happened. First of all, it involves not only the trade but hypothetical subsequent moves with other teams to complete the deal, which is extremely rare and would be tremendously complex deals to complete.

Secondly, it involves no current assets in the sense players, prospects, etc. that you can sell to fans. You would only have draft picks for a draft over a year away for a player signed for two more years, so the return would be historically rare (I can think of no other comparable example).

Average fans are dummies, though. Look at Facebook and you realize how little people actually know about their team. :laugh: Most of them are clueless.

What we need back for Duchene then? I assume Sakic is looking for young top-4 defenseman, but nobody is trading those, unless you have perfect match, like Jones and Johansen.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Average fans are dummies, though. Look at Facebook and you realize how little people actually know about their team. :laugh: Most of them are clueless.

What we need back for Duchene then? I assume Sakic is looking for young top-4 defenseman, but nobody is trading those, unless you have perfect match, like Jones and Johansen.

I don't disagree with your assessment, but the average fan buys tickets for players like a Duchene as well.

Additionally, the average fan vastly outnumber those fanatics that post on boards like these, myself included.

You can't take magic beans over a year from now that are likely 3-4 years (at least) from contributing to the Avs lineup. I am in favor of a futures oriented deal, but that futures deal has to include at least one bluechip prospect by my estimation.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Damn, anyone else feel like Sakic should have taken the deal with Islanders? Hamonic, 1st round pick and +. Then trade Hamonic to Calgary for 1st and 2x 2nds.

I don't think he would ever get better offer.

I know It's just picks, but I would have been more than happy..

2 firsts and 2 seconds for Duchene would be pretty handy.

If it was possible, I totally would have done that. Four top picks for Duchene, would have been great.

Ensures we will be the worst team in the league this year, not that we needed much cushioning there, and stockpiles us for next summer's draft.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Sakic needs to learn how to lie like Bergevin...all of these rumours came from GMs crying about the asking price (Montreal, Ottawa, New York)...nothing came out of Denver, Raleigh, or Nashville

Had sakic just denied them, the situation would probably be not nearly as bad.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I doubt Calgary would have dealt all those picks to someone within the conference but you never know.

So Brisson has gone to Sakic and made it clear a change of scenery would be best for Duchene. Not a public Request but pretty damn close. Nashville really wants him. All of this from Lebrun. I know we just took a few RHD but I'd still take Fabbro and Fiala as a base.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't disagree with your assessment, but the average fan buys tickets for players like a Duchene as well.

Additionally, the average fan vastly outnumber those fanatics that post on boards like these, myself included.

You can't take magic beans over a year from now that are likely 3-4 years (at least) from contributing to the Avs lineup. I am in favor of a futures oriented deal, but that futures deal has to include at least one bluechip prospect by my estimation.

Very good point. Last thing Sakic needs is fans screaming on Facebook why we traded Duchene for some draft picks. :laugh: Fans want to see we got something back, something valueable, like you said: Bluechip prospect.

100% future package sucks, because we might see the results only in 3-4 years, like you said, but I would be fine with that. I think we have long-time ahead of us, before we can call us good again, so I'm fine with that! There's no quick fix for this anyway. We need to suck and get more organizational depth, through draft and selling older players we don't need or they don't want to be with the organization anymore (Duchene).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I doubt Calgary would have dealt all those picks to someone within the conference but you never know.

So Brisson has gone to Sakic and made it clear a change of scenery would be best for Duchene. Not a public Request but pretty damn close. Nashville really wants him. All of this from Lebrun.

Do you think Calgary sees us as a threat? We are the biggest mess in hockey right now, same level as Edmonton few years ago. :help:

I don't think they would care and we have history of trading with Calgary, Tanguay TRADES, Drury etc.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

So Brisson has gone to Sakic and made it clear a change of scenery would be best for Duchene. Not a public Request but pretty damn close. Nashville really wants him. All of this from Lebrun. I know we just took a few RHD but I'd still take Fabbro and Fiala as a base.

It's in that article too that Brisson is irritated. Of course this comes from the NYI side of it.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Why couldn't it have just been a 3 way? :(

To CGY: Hamonic and COL 4th
To NYI: Duchene
To COL: NYI 1st, CGY 1st, NYI 2nd, CGY 2nd

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Why couldn't it have just been a 3 way? :(

To CGY: Hamonic and COL 4th
To NYI: Duchene
To COL: NYI 1st, CGY 1st, NYI 2nd, CGY 2nd

And a year from now everyone laughs at us for trading a 60+ point center for the 21st and 25th pick in the draft.

No thank you.

I wouldn't have taken that either if I am Sakic...

Needs atleast one quality extra piece for it to make sense.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't see a fit of Nashville getting a 3rd team involved. I mean who could it be? What teams are rebuilding like the Avalanche that would take a package of prospects from Nashville and move a top D to Colorado in a three way?

Doesn't add up. If Sakic wants a ready now top defenseman for Duchene he isn't going to get it. If he wants a decent prospect defenseman and some other pieces Nashville (Fabbro) makes sense. Do something, Joe.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It's in that article too that Brisson is irritated. Of course this comes from the NYI side of it.

As you noted, look where these rumors are originating from. Arthur Staple appears to be acting as the PR Director for the Isles and Garth Snow since the trade deadline over this Duchene issue. If you have read his accounts over the past several months, Garth Snow can do no wrong and Sakic is terrible and unreasonable. He sounds like nothing but a mouthpiece for the Isles' organization. I don't doubt for a second that the Isles are feeding him their perspective and he is serving as their mouthpiece.

The Avs act in secret and they do not respond to every media report, which has been used against them in this situation (thinking about the Dorian/Melnyk bizarre public comments).

The Avs may deal Duchene at some point, but the Isles are miscalculating if they think the public leaks are helping their cause IMO. I think it will be a team other than the Isles.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As you noted, look where these rumors are originating from. Arthur Staple appears to be acting as the PR Director for the Isles and Garth Snow since the trade deadline over this Duchene issue. If you have read his accounts over the past several months, Garth Snow can do no wrong and Sakic is terrible and unreasonable. He sounds like nothing but a mouthpiece for the Isles' organization. I don't doubt for a second that the Isles are feeding him their perspective and he is serving as their mouthpiece.

The Avs act in secret and they do not respond to every media report, which has been used against them in this situation (thinking about the Dorian/Melnyk bizarre public comments).

The Avs may deal Duchene at some point, but the Isles are miscalculating if they think the public leaks are helping their cause IMO. I think it will be a team other than the Isles.

It's probably part of Nashville's plan. Sit tight while Ottawa, Montreal and the Islanders **** Sakic off. Nashville has not said a damn thing but always seems to be right there.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It's probably part of Nashville's plan. Sit tight while Ottawa, Montreal and the Islanders **** Sakic off. Nashville has not said a damn thing but always seems to be right there.

Probably very smart IMO if it is a planned strategy. You know who else has been very quiet in the process, Ron Francis and Carolina.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Probably very smart IMO if it is a planned strategy. You know who else has been very quiet in the process, Ron Francis and Carolina.

Yeah that's very true, but Carolina actually has the correct pieces. All we have to do is hope to god that Sakic isn't requiring major additions to Hanifin.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Yeah that's very true, but Carolina actually has the correct pieces. All we have to do is hope to god that Sakic isn't requiring major additions to Hanifin.

I don't think Hanifin is or was available, as I think Francis wants to keep his top-4 in place and add Duchene in order to make a run for the playoffs.

Carolina does have some stronger defensive prospects however, if that is the direction that Sakic wants to go.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The other GMs have been operating under the assumption than Sakic is less stubborn than he really is. Now that they are learning the truth they will either up their offer to get a player they feel they need or they will look elsewhere.

If they think RNH or JvR are difference makers, I'd disagree. I'm not even sure Duchene is but I'd take him over the likes of those two any day. Supply of good forwards is somewhat limited.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Can anyone give me a quick recap of today's Duchene speculation/rumours/updates? Anything going on?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The other GMs have been operating under the assumption than Sakic is less stubborn than he really is. Now that they are learning the truth they will either up their offer to get a player they feel they need or they will look elsewhere.

If they think RNH or JvR are difference makers, I'd disagree. I'm not even sure Duchene is but I'd take him over the likes of those two any day. Supply of good forwards is somewhat limited.

True. There's no as good player as Duchene available. Duchene is the best. On his good day he is still game breaker and he can create things out of nothing. That's the Duchene we love.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think Hanifin is or was available, as I think Francis wants to keep his top-4 in place and add Duchene in order to make a run for the playoffs.

Carolina does have some stronger defensive prospects however, if that is the direction that Sakic wants to go.

Carolina's pure futures package is not nearly as good as the Islanders, and even Nashville's. Without Hanifin or Faulk I don't think Carolina can compete.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Carolina's pure futures package is not nearly as good as the Islanders, and even Nashville's. Without Hanifin or Faulk I don't think Carolina can compete.

I like their potential defensive prospects (Fleury and/or Bean) as well as some of their forward prospects (Roy and/or Gauthier). I think they have every bit as much in terms of the Islanders (I would argue more) and I think they blow Nashville out of the water. I don't think Nashville's pool is great now that many have graduated. I like Fabbro and Kamenev, but I have questions after that. I also have real questions about Fiala and his injury, although he reportedly has already begun light skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad