Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXV| “We still need a 2nd Line, Joe!” Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
This offseason so far makes 0 sense. Get rid of the only player that had any sort of resemblance as an NHL 2C for a bottom pairing left D when you have Girard, Cole, Barbs, Zadorov, Graves, Byram already.

Even if one of Coles hips was actually Sam Girard still makes 0 sense.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Colorado is the furthest thing from a prime offer sheet candidate. Even if offer sheets happened, which they don't, there is plenty of teams that it makes more sense for to do it.
I know most of those posters are joking, but it doesn’t really fit Joe’s MO either.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
As of right now, there is no indication of significant moves.

Simply resigning our RFAs will cover the cap floor.
Which would also play into what I said yesterday, which is Kroenke is cheap. If they just re-sign their guys and call it good and operate near the cap floor, it is what it is, and is a good indicator that this franchise is going nowhere fast.

We'll see how much ownership values winning by what they do over the next week or so. They either have some moves lined up to make a run, or they are content to keep the bottom line low and make more money.

Reactions: EdAVSfan

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Soderberg trade actually made me more confident we might actually land Panarin, why else would you shred salary like that unless you're landing a big UFA?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Which would also play into what I said yesterday, which is Kroenke is cheap. If they just re-sign their guys and call it good and operate near the cap floor, it is what it is, and is a good indicator that this franchise is going nowhere fast.

We'll see how much ownership values winning by what they do over the next week or so. They either have some moves lined up to make a run, or they are content to keep the bottom line low and make more money.
We were a cap team just a couple years ago with Roy. Wouldn't making a playoff run generate more profit than saving a few million on players?

Reactions: 5280

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
We were a cap team just a couple years ago with Roy. Wouldn't making a playoff run generate more profit than saving a few million on players?
Yes, but spending money and not making the playoffs is also a double negative to the owner.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You'd think, but for some reason we seem very content to just keep cost down instead.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You'd think, but for some reason we seem very content to just keep cost down instead.
Hopefully just saving the cap space to re-sign our guys and chase a big UFA. Sakic is not Dorion, I don't think he'd be the GM of the team if ownership isn't committed to winning, he's not exactly hurting for money.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Compher is going to flourish with this team you guys are building, got every team in the league watching how you guys are trending. Tampa of the West is going to be a nightmare. Panarin is going to be the key, bet he signs here.

Reactions: Foxtail

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So is Soderberg being traded the start of the sky falling around here or something?
It's not the trade itself that is frustrating. It's what Sakic said after that is making fans around here panic. Seems like we will be heading into next season with basically the same roster, but now worse because we just traded out a guy who scored 50ish points and got nothing in return.

So unless something changes over the next week, it's very concerning.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Hopefully just saving the cap space to re-sign our guys and chase a big UFA. Sakic is not Dorion, I don't think he'd be the GM of the team if ownership isn't committed to winning, he's not exactly hurting for money.
I hope the same thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

Our philosophy seems to be squarely hope the young guys get better every year, and hope MacK continues to carry us.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It's not the trade itself that is frustrating. It's what Sakic said after that is making fans around here panic. Seems like we will be heading into next season with basically the same roster, but now worse because we just traded out a guy who scored 50ish points and got nothing in return.

He already said they'll be more active in the offseason. The two things are mutually exclusive: the depth players might be expected to play a more prominent role (even on the PK) while still signing 1,2,3 FAs. And Sakic had to hedge his bets/not show his hand/etc...

Reactions: 5280 and pockets

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I'm waiting for another week before I even entertain flipping out. It's obvious moves are being made. I more interested in how the moves tell us what kind of team Sakic is interested in building both to contend now and down the road, manage the cap, deal with the upcoming entry draft, set the D and hopefully make judicious acquisition and use of vets if at all to fill in spots.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He already said they'll be more active in the offseason. The two things are mutually exclusive: the depth players might be expected to play a more prominent role (even on the PK) while still signing 1,2,3 FAs. And Sakic had to hedge his bets/not show his hand/etc...
We'll see. I'll believe it when it see it.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Whether people like it or not, the plan was always going to bet on Jost and/or Compher stepping up, even if with assistance

People here act like the team has already given up on them

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Whether people like it or not, the plan was always going to bet on Jost and/or Compher stepping up, even if with assistance

People here act like the team has already given up on them
Why would they give up on perfectly good young third liners? Still need a second line.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm waiting for another week before I even entertain flipping out. It's obvious moves are being made. I more interested in how the moves tell us what kind of team Sakic is interested in building both to contend now and down the road, manage the cap, deal with the upcoming entry draft, set the D and hopefully make judicious acquisition and use of vets if at all to fill in spots.
The move doesn't bother me. I'm not worried, it's their call on what they want to do to make the team better.

I'm hoping for some change, some nice adds but if we go into next year with the same basic team I can't change anything so no sense in getting worked up about it.

Reactions: mapletreemarty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad