Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVII|Crosby+MacK = Tim's Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Dumb question, where does Shane Bowers fit into the line up and how soon, if ever, could we expect him in the line up? Kamenev would be the 4C, right?

Hopefully not too much this year...if he’s doing really well in the latter half of the season then maybe a brief callup for a cup of coffee as an injury replacement sort of thing. I hope the plan is AHL to develop, and ease him into the #3 centre role in 20/21 as Soderberg’s natural replacement.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wennberg mostly put up points on the PP to get that contract. Not that kind of opportunity available on Avs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't see the excuse for Wennberg. He had ample opportunity, but got outplayed by a 19/20 year old for the #1C spot. Even then, he gets bumped down and still gets to play with great players.

He could bounce back, but we aren't in the position to just ignore his cap hit if he turns out to be useless and I don't see how we give him a better opportunity, unless it's a simple change of scenery/system.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Since Roy left, Sakic has emphasized youth, skill and speed on the top end and grit and scoring ability on the lower end. He looks for value in lower tier FAs like Wilson, Calvert and Soderberg as well as cap management. Sakic is willing to trade the marquee players if he can't sign them for what he views as a reasonable deal for the market at the time (that means not overestimating how high the cap will be) and ensuring he gets value even if he has to wait forever. I think he values loyalty to the organization as well as having a very close knit team. He is willing to draft for need but does not expect the player to step in immediately. So with that said, I think he's going to look to upgrade by drafting someone like Turcotte or Cozens. If he can also draft a high end G then I think he will because it's a bigger organizational need over the long term. I'd love to get Panarin but if that happened then I'd be very surprised. Seems like something Bowman would do and not Sakic.
Take the high end goalie next year with our 1st , the Russian to go with Podkolzin this year

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I really don’t understand you’re constant complaints on Sakic. You criticize me on trade Barrie and draft Podkolzin. Irrespective of my reasoning which you ignore, you have little to any evidence on Sakic.

Don’t you ever consider the huge returns on O’Reilly and Duchene might be a deterrent to not deal with the AVs? What about destinations which is not the most favourable? Tavares, JVR and Skinner had no interest. Panarin or Bobrovsky are staying or heading to warmer climates. Hanifin or Hamonic we’re not interested.

Sometimes doing nothing might be the best strategy.

Sakic became GM on 2013, let’s look at his efforts and ignore the players drafted with the AVs pick:

Trades:
Zadorov
Compher
Greer
Girard
Kamenev
Bowers
Sens 2019-1st + 3rd
Annunen
Zhuravlyov
Ghetto
Barberio
Graves
Grub
Brassard

UFA or Waivers
Soda
Nieto
Bourque
Kerfoot
Cole
Calvert
Dries
Toninato
Dickinson
Lewis
O’Connor
Nemeth
Francouz
Alt

So nearly the entire lineup has been changed in only 6 years. The carryovers or drafted:

Mackinnon
Rants
Landy
Barrie
EJ
Varly
Kaut
Jost

Explain that Sakic did nothing?
Damn them top two lists are depressing.

Reactions: UncleRisto

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Hard no on Wennberg. Even with 50% salary retention I'd want Columbus to pay us to take him.
I'll take Boone Jenner off their hands though :naughty:

Reactions: Foppberg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Wennberg will do better when he gets away from Torts and they just clash... but Wennberg simply isn't an aggressive enough player. He will thrive when get gets back to Europe after he is bought out.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Askarov looks like a top 5 pick. If we are in a position to draft him, something has gone horribly wrong.
I’d love to have him but there’s no way in hell we’ll be in the spot to take him next year. Knight this year with our 2nd pick is the better bet.

Reactions: Tommy G

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think Wennberg will do better when he gets away from Torts and they just clash... but Wennberg simply isn't an aggressive enough player. He will thrive when get gets back to Europe after he is bought out.
I don't know if his situation is that bad yet. The league is full of scrubs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if his situation is that bad yet. The league is full of scrubs.

It might take another year or so, but I can't see Columbus holding on to that contract for the whole term and can't see it being tradable either... so they will want to take advantage of the 1/3 buyout this or next summer. Worst part is that they are going to stick with Torts and Wennberg won't have the chance to rebound because of that. I think there is some talent there worth taking a shot on for some teams... but his mentality will keep many from going after him, and he'd likely be a really poor fit here.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
It might take another year or so, but I can't see Columbus holding on to that contract for the whole term and can't see it being tradable either... so they will want to take advantage of the 1/3 buyout this or next summer. Worst part is that they are going to stick with Torts and Wennberg won't have the chance to rebound because of that. I think there is some talent there worth taking a shot on for some teams... but his mentality will keep many from going after him, and he'd likely be a really poor fit here.
They need to reach the cap floor though

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I meant after he gets bought out (assuming he does - probably). Here though, yeah no, pass.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They need to reach the cap floor though

Columbus won't have that issue at all. Werenski needs a new contract, Duchene very well could re-sign, and they will dive into UFA... the stories of their demise are way overblown.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Columbus won't have that issue at all. Werenski needs a new contract, Duchene very well could re-sign, and they will dive into UFA... the stories of their demise are way overblown.
If they can get Duchene to re-sign. And grab a decent UFA or two they'll be fine for a bit.

I assuming both Bob and Panarin aren't coming back, in the above mentioned scenario. If by some stroke of luck they do come back and they resign Duchene. They will be a top tier Eastern conference team.

All that being said they should be able to manage being relevant for the next 3-5 seasons. But eventually the lack of draft picks will kill them. In this day and age you need a handful of solid contributors that are on first or second contracts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If they can get Duchene to re-sign. And grab a decent UFA or two they'll be fine for a bit.

I assuming both Bob and Panarin aren't coming back, in the above mentioned scenario. If by some stroke of luck they do come back and they resign Duchene. They will be a top tier Eastern conference team.

All that being said they should be able to manage being relevant for the next 3-5 seasons. But eventually the lack of draft picks will kill them. In this day and age you need a handful of solid contributors that are on first or second contracts.

Bob won't really hurt them going away. They have the best goalie not in the NHL right in line for the starting job next year (and two other good goalie prospects behind him). Losing Bread is definitely going to hurt and they are not going to replace him individually, but their ability to find talent will outweigh their lack of picks this and next year. They have Peeke and Gavrikov on defense that are close and will allow them to move Murray for picks/forward talent. Texier is going to be a damn good NHL top 6 player and Bemstrom looks great from that 2017 draft as well. They traded a bunch away, but they have a collection of good talent to support that. What they lack is a gamebreaker... not sure how they replace that, but they will still be a very good team for a number of years to come. They have as solid of young base of centers, defense, and goalies as there is in the league.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Damn them top two lists are depressing.

Sakic is so bad they can reach the 2nd round of the playoffs, available substantial cap space, amng the youngest/fastest teams in the league and be ranked in the Top 10 best prospect systems without considering the Sens picks?

Sure...it's terrible then...:laugh:

Reactions: MarkT and BigMack29

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sakic is so bad they can reach the 2nd round of the playoffs, available substantial cap space, amng the youngest/fastest teams in the league and be ranked in the Top 10 best prospect systems without considering the Sens picks?

Sure...it's terrible then...:laugh:
I mean, those two lists very clearly aren't so great. No big deal though, I don't know how much better other teams would have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->