Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIII|Why You Guys Post So Much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Butcher is also older, more experienced and fills a much more limited role than what you are asking of Makar to deliver as a rookie. As Butcher still isn't close to being a solid top 4 blueliner. I would certainly agree that Cale should be able to make the jump smoothly in a role similar to Butcher's...on the third pairing with ol Ian Cole...but that's not what your stated expectation for him is.
Makar should start on the 3rd pairing. I just don't expect him to finish the season as a 3rd pairing guy, unless the Avs want to spread the talent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Makar should start on the 3rd pairing. I just don't expect him to finish the season as a 3rd pairing guy, unless the Avs want to spread the talent.

That's what I'm hoping happens, but a top 4 gig in the NHL is a huge jump from where he was just two years ago...and he needed that freshman year just to acclimate to the jump up to the NCAA level. So I kinda expect him to do well for a rookie & produce in a limited role, but for the light not to really come on until after the offseason; when he'll have had time to digest this new level.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Id sign Varly 3 years and Frank 2 years. Draft Knight. Trade or wave Gru. If in 2 years the boys arnt doin great we can aquire a starter and varly can back up for a year. Trade or buy out EJ before expansion. Our defense is gonna be pretty low cost so we could probably afford a high priced goalie tandem one year.

If we're going to have a high priced goalie tandem for one year, shouldn't one them be good?

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
IMO Grubauer should be traded for draft picks, any/all of which should be used to draft goalies. Sign Varly for a couple years, re-sign Francz for another 1-2 years, roll with them 1-2. I have more faith in Varly’s groin / hip than I do in Grubauer.

I fully believe Francouz was promised starting as many AHL games as he wanted, but told that would be his primary role year 1. After, he would have either played himself into a role with the big club, or worst case, showcased himself to other AHL / NHL teams.

Edit - I also hope Martin is gone, and a prospect that has NHL potential, or even a remote chance of becoming an NHL goaler, can take his spot

As for Makar, whether NHL or AHL, or a mix of both, I’m just looking forward to seeing him play at the next level, and am very glad he has continued to progress at UMass.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
So who would be interested in Barrie?

Preferably someone who has something Florida wants (Does Edmonton?). Nice three way trade that brings Trocheck (unlikely), or Huberdeau (less unlikely) to Colorado. :DD

9f2.gif

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
What about grubs and cole for a used car?

In all seriousness, ive seen both morris and knight mentioned. If we had to pick 1 which would you prefer?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
You are likely talking about a 4-5 year time line for a drafted goalie to become a starter, this is probably optimistic. Goalies have long development timelines.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
What about grubs and cole for a used car?

In all seriousness, ive seen both morris and knight mentioned. If we had to pick 1 which would you prefer?

Knight.

I’d rather a higher probability at a real solution further down the line than a decent probability at a lower-ceiling solution a couple years sooner.

I fell in love with the Avs when goaltending was the least of our worries. I miss those days dearly. We’ve suffered long enough!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think his point is why give up significant assets when they have blue chip offensive D prospects coming next season? Better off using the assets they would hypothetically use for Barrie for another need.
And that's not even considering the fact that Edmonton have no cap room for Barrie. The time to trade Barrie to Edmonton or Vancouver has passed.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I thought Bouchard played 9 games?

Sorry, my bad. That is true.

My point still stands. He's trying to suggest two completely inexperienced prospects are reasons why those teams wouldn't have interest in Barrie. In reality that's not how it works. Lots of teams would have interest in Barrie right now because a lot of teams simply dont have a player capable of creating offense from the back end like Barrie does. And even the high end prospects some teams have are very unlikely to ever reach the kind of offensive upside Barrie provides.

Edmonton, Vancouver, Detroit, Montreal, New Jersey, Rangers, Vegas.... Just off the top of my head there's almost 1/3 of the league that doesn't have anybody on the level of Barrie when it comes to offense from the back end. I'm sure there's probably more and quite frankly even teams that have just 1 good offensive Dman are probably in the market for a 2nd one. Look around the league right now and you'd quickly see the true cup contending teams right now have 2-3 Defenders capable of putting up 40+ points.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think his point is why give up significant assets when they have blue chip offensive D prospects coming next season? Better off using the assets they would hypothetically use for Barrie for another need.

Oh I'm well aware of his point. It's just incredibly stupid. We all talk consistently here about how we cant trade Barrie on the hope/expectation that Makar or Girard can step in to replace his offense. The same applies to other teams. They're not going to just expect or hope a couple kids who have next to zero NHL experience are going to come in and be elite offensive Dmen right away. Quite frankly it's quite likely neither Hughes or Bouchard ever become as good offensively as what Barrie is.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Edmonton, Vancouver, Detroit, Montreal, New Jersey, Rangers, Vegas.... Just off the top of my head there's almost 1/3 of the league that doesn't have anybody on the level of Barrie when it comes to offense from the back end. I'm sure there's probably more and quite frankly even teams that have just 1 good offensive Dman are probably in the market for a 2nd one. Look around the league right now and you'd quickly see the true cup contending teams right now have 2-3 Defenders capable of putting up 40+ points.

Edmonton and Vancouver will at least wait to see what they got before investing in Tyson Barrie. There's no way Detroit is buying anytime soon. Montreal don't need a RHD to play behind Weber and Petry. Don't see NJ making a move for him. Rags..who knows but it seems like they are selling. Vegas have no cap room.

Edit: Rags have Shattenkirk and bigger needs so you might as well cross them off that list too.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Edmonton and Vancouver will at least wait to see what they got before investing in Tyson Barrie. There's no way Detroit is buying anytime soon. Montreal don't need a RHD to play behind Weber and Petry. Don't see NJ making a move for him. Rags..who knows but it seems like they are selling. Vegas have no cap room.

Edmonton is not going to wait, they want to be a good team as soon as possible and Barrie fills a major need for them right now, if Bouchard ends up being a good offensive Dman later on then that's great for them but that wouldn't stop them from going after Barrie right now. Vancouver may wait for Hughes because yeah Hughes does seem to have that elite upside like Makar, but even still it's probably 3-4 more years before he's as good as what Barrie is now and Vancouver doesn't have another offensive Dman in the system or on the roster besides Hughes. If they want to start pushing for playoffs soon like they were pushing for this year, it makes sense to target Barrie to fill a big need of there's right now.

As for the rest, the only one with any real significance to suggest they may not go after Barrie is Montreal. The rest are just terrible reaches. As is the case with anybody, if you have the opportunity to acquire a player that's high end like Barrie, you do it and solve the cap situations later on. You just "not seeing" NJ making a move for Barrie is all fine and dandy, doesn't mean he doesn't fill a need for them and is a solid fit for what they would be looking for.

It's all nonsense conversation anyway because nothing at all suggests Barrie is available right now. Those rumors have essentially dried up completely and the Avs rightfully seem committed to Barrie going forward. He's an elite Offensive Defender and hopefully a huge part of this team going forward. It will set the franchise back another couple years if we cant get a deal done with him this summer and have to trade him.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Oh I'm well aware of his point. It's just incredibly stupid. We all talk consistently here about how we cant trade Barrie on the hope/expectation that Makar or Girard can step in to replace his offense. The same applies to other teams. They're not going to just expect or hope a couple kids who have next to zero NHL experience are going to come in and be elite offensive Dmen right away. Quite frankly it's quite likely neither Hughes or Bouchard ever become as good offensively as what Barrie is.

Who knows, take a look at Chabot. All I know is if I'm an Edmonton or Vancouver fan I'd much rather see what I have in Bouchard/Hughes than trade for Barrie.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Who knows, take a look at Chabot. All I know is if I'm an Edmonton or Vancouver fan I'd much rather see what I have in Bouchard/Hughes than trade for Barrie.
When Chia drafted Bouchard last year, the first thing he said to the media was (paraphrasing) "you always wanted your right shot offensive defenseman, now you have it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->