Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why in the hell do we want Brooks Orpik

GratefulParallelGalah-small.gif

Reactions: lonelybadger

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Bura is far from a Bednar's type of player. I would be very very surprised if Sakic gets him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just checked what the Avs will be like in five years. ;)

giphy.gif

Glad you’ve finally seen the light & realized we can’t sit on our hands ad infinitum or MacK might leave!
Almost every team in the league has a hole in the lineup somewhere though. They have five years to do their best to fix them all. After this summer I think they'll be in as good a position as most teams going forward.

At most, they have 3 more years...and if it hasn’t happened by then, MacK could easily ask for a trade before those 3 years have passed.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The recent skid has put people in chicken little mode and the visible frustration last night doesn't help but everyone knows the upcoming summer is going to be important. MacKinnon obviously wants to take a step forward this season but he also knows the approach they're taking with this young team and is on board with it. Like he said though, he won't be patient for too much longer:

I'm not going to worry about MacKinnon's future anytime soon but they need to be aggressive this offseason. Even if the best case scenario happens with the Sens pick, Sakic still needs to make a splash on top of that.

Nah, the losing streak just forced some of y’all to get your heads out of your asses & realize what some of us have been telling you for most of the past year :rolleyes:

Reactions: klozge

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Look at their drafts as to why their bottom 9 is better. No failed 1st since forever plus some very useful players picked in the other rounds.

WPG draft history

Compare that to our pathetic drafts. Minus our idiot proof top 4 picks and Rantanen what have we produced?

Col draft history

You realize that this is an argument against just sitting on our hands & banking on the draft to fix all of our problems...right?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We're on a losing streak, people always go crazy :) No-one was saying these things a few months ago.

Bullshit. If you didn’t have me, Henchy, Cobra, etc. on your ignore list you’d have seen it.

Though I realize that listening to anyone who doesn’t just reinforce your preconceived notions, is not popular with some folks :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Of players on that list by LeBrun, the only interesting one to me is Toffoli. I think he can bounce back. And if the Avs really think getting Quick might be a good idea I'd definitely try to get Toffoli with him. However for that to happen, we would need to move out both Grubauer and Varlamov and that's about as unrealistic as it gets.

Reactions: shadow1

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Bull****. If you didn’t have me, Henchy, Cobra, etc. on your ignore list you’d have seen it.

Though I realize that listening to anyone who doesn’t just reinforce your preconceived notions, is not popular with some folks :rolleyes:

Guess I missed all the MacKinnon is leaving posts back then haha

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nah, the losing streak just forced some of y’all to get your heads out of your asses & realize what some of us have been telling you for most of the past year :rolleyes:

Bull****. If you didn’t have me, Henchy, Cobra, etc. on your ignore list you’d have seen it.

What are you even talking about?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Avs wouldn't use Jost in that sort of trade... Ghetto, Barbario, and Wilson are the only possible names I could see. Now that I type that out... Wilson could make some sense if he ever gets healthy. Avs would have retain, but no biggie there.

Kerf? Or does the team still “believe” in him?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What are you even talking about?

Don’t mind me, I’m just tilting at windmills
Guess I missed all the MacKinnon is leaving posts back then haha

Henchy mentioned MacK not re-signing if we failed to build a contender around him when Tavares bailed, and has repeated that concern on multiple occasions since then...as have I & Cobra throughout the fall.

But many preferred to yell about “fear mongering” rather than discuss that possibility *shrug*
Dude, learn how to use the multi-quote button...

My b, my phone f***s multi-quotes up for some reason. Only way I can make it work is if I edit later responses into my first post. But if I do that, then the poster I’m quoting doesn’t get a notification, and I feel like folks deserve the right of reply when I’m talking shit.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Glad you’ve finally seen the light & realized we can’t sit on our hands ad infinitum or MacK might leave!

At most, they have 3 more years...and if it hasn’t happened by then, MacK could easily ask for a trade before those 3 years have passed.

They definitely can't sit on their hands forever, but we should all expect Sakic to do something this summer, and not just add a depth player or two. It's obvious there's going to be some kind of big or semi big moves, in addition to adding a really good player in the draft.

All the problems don't have to be fixed in three years either. They could add good players through the draft/UFA/trade this summer, and then slowly address the final touches as they go.

Also, I think a lot of this is based on the premise that Nate will insist on playing for a team with no holes on it. That's not a realistic expectation for a UFA. Most teams have holes on them, even the ones that win the Cup.

They just have to make sure the Avs are competitive during his contract, and that's something that is certainly attainable for this team. He's playing on the best line in hockey, and it will likely be one of the best for a long time. That's not something a player easily walks away from.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Where is Hayes? None of these players are what we need. Certainly not LeBrun's best piece.

The Avs are most likely going to stand still so there likely aren't a lot of names to put down so you just kinda spit ball at some possibilities that could happen. Some teams have some pretty clear targets and plans for change, Avs is pretty much just to stand pat and get better with the up and coming kids.

They are pretty handcuffed until the draft anyways and that will greatly shift their long term needs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They definitely can't sit on their hands forever, but we should all expect Sakic to do something this summer, and not just add a depth player or two. It's obvious there's going to be some kind of big or semi big moves, in addition to adding a really good player in the draft.

All the problems don't have to be fixed in three years either. They could add good players through the draft/UFA/trade this summer, and then slowly address the final touches as they go.

Also, I think a lot of this is based on the premise that Nate will insist on playing for a team with no holes on it. That's not a realistic expectation for a UFA. Most teams have holes on them, even the ones that win the Cup.

They just have to make sure the Avs are competitive during his contract, and that's something that is certainly attainable for this team. He's playing on the best line in hockey, and it will likely be one of the best for a long time. That's not something a player easily walks away from.

Should we & is it? I’m far from convinced that Joe wouldn’t be content picking 5th, signing a lower level 2nd line winger in FA, and letting Frank n Groo fight it out for the goalie gig; while banking on Makar / Meloche / Timmins to bolster our blueline & Kaut / Bowers / Shvyryov / Lewis the forward core. That sounds much more like his MO than making an aggressive move that solved a hole for the longterm, so what makes it obvious that Sakic will suddenly act out of character this summer?

That sounds like little more than wishful thinking given the rate at which Sakic makes trades come together...as does your analysis of MacK’s psychological makeup. I don’t see what about him or what he has said would lead any of us to believe that he would be content to re-sign with a team that failed to put a contender around him when he was giving them a 50% discount. Given which, 3 years from now Sakic had better already be working on a MacK trade for the following summer if we’re still “slowly address(ing) the finishing touches” with nothing to show for it then...lest we enter his final season under contract, without a commitment from him or the trade boon that he could still return at that point.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Should we & is it? I’m far from convinced that Joe wouldn’t be content picking 5th, signing a lower level 2nd line winger in FA, and letting Frank n Groo fight it out for the goalie gig; while banking on Makar / Meloche / Timmins to bolster our blueline & Kaut / Bowers / Shvyryov / Lewis the forward core. That sounds much more like his MO than making an aggressive move that solved a hole for the longterm, so what makes it obvious that Sakic will suddenly act out of character this summer?

It would be naive of Sakic to be banking on the likes of Meloche, Lewis, Shvyryov to bolster anything at the NHL level, but you are right, Sakic will need to find his balls to make some big trades starting next season.

Now, why aren't you using your new avatar?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It would be naive of Sakic to be banking on the likes of Meloche, Lewis, Shvyryov to bolster anything at the NHL level, but you are right, Sakic will need to find his balls to make some big trades starting next season.

Is that really so much more naive than banking on Kerfoot, Jost, Ghetto, Nemeth, etc. to fix things this year was?

Have I been sent my new avatar?
Edit:
I’ll wear it since a bet’s a bet and that’s on me for not even considering the possibility of an extended holdout to get Nylander under the 7M I predicted...but I don’t think losing that bet contradicts my assessment of what it would have taken to lock Nylander up over the summer, which was the argument which spawned the bet.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Random question but what all do you think the Avs REALLY need. Like lets say that the Ott pick becomes a C, we'll use Cozens as an example. (Don't worry about line combos, use these as depth charts)(Also note this doesn't include any picks or prospects past Otts 1st).

Gabe/Nate/Mikko
Kerf/Cozens/Kaut
Jost/Soda/Compher
Calvert/Bowers/Kam
Nieto/Sven

Ej/G
Zads/Makar
Cole/Timmins
Barrie/Barbs
Graves/Meloche

Varly/Grubbi/Franc

So for me some needs I see is maybe a 2LW, an eventual need to find a Soderberg replacement (whether internally or externally), some longer term but high upside d prospects and a major solution in long term goaltending.

The Barrie trade seems pretty obvious.

Maybe a middle 6 depth signing for extra depth.

A long term goalie solution will become a bigger and bigger need throughout every avenue they can

Overall picks and prospects.

I don't see a lot of moves that need to be made. Especially until Makar, Girard, Z, Compher, Likely the Ott 1st player, Kaut will all command decent money.

What are this threads thoughts. I'd say to also keep in mind the long term goal over the short term one. We want to make a roster that can compete for the next 8 years, not just the next 3 with some overpriced 30 year olds, which I'm not saying don't consider but be careful of term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->