Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You should switch your addiction to something that happens a little more often

Just keep him away from mobile games haha, those things will ruin your life.

It is a tough one though as trades pretty only happen on 3-4 dates along the year.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
That Jeff Skinner trade was an absolute steal for Buffalo. Mind you they'll have to pay up after this season, but man he's been good. Wish the Avs would've been in on that.

The Avs were in on him at the draft but at that point in time the reported price was much higher than what they eventually settled for from Buf. I think Car tried to have a staring contest and lost. We've seen a few circumstances like that with E Kane being moved for very little as well.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't care how many points we have if it is a long term solution for the #2C position.

Sure but when you have 2 1sts in a draft that is stacked with high end centers is trading for someone really a solution when you already have the assets that will possibly/likely end up filling that void?

Reactions: milehigh11

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
You should switch your addiction to something that happens a little more often

That is what NHL 19 and fantasy hockey is for....

I am fine with a trade that would net a pending UFA that would sign ie Hayes or ideally Stone. The 2c spot should hopefully be solved with Ottawas pick, but everyone knows I want Stone and now....

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At some point Sakic may have to choose from three options:

1) Let this season ride and see what happens, while addressing needs through the draft, and UFA.

2) Make a trade and give up assets he doesn't want to for a top 6 C/W. Assuming this is why he hasn't done so, because he doesn't like the asking prices.

3) Fire the coach.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I see #1 being the most likely.

That's what I thought a week or so ago, but even if Bednar isn't the problem, there also comes a point where you have to wonder how many losses in a row can he get away with? Avs might have to win one soon to save his job. We're at six in a row now.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I see #1 being the most likely.

I agree with this. No sense paying for Hayes to have to overpay him UFA dollars based on his career year, especially if you get lucky and end up drafting a C in the 1, 3, 4 spot in June.

Bednar may very well end up being the scape goat but he has had a decent run in terms of tenure.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That's what I thought a week or so ago, but even if Bednar isn't the problem, there also comes a point where you have to wonder how many losses in a row can he get away with? Avs might have to win one soon to save his job. We're at six in a row now.

Honestly, I don't think Bednar's job is on the line at all right now. Not even a little bit.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Honestly, I don't think Bednar's job is on the line at all right now. Not even a little bit.

What if they lose two more and make it 8 in a row? I feel like that might be the max he can get away with, but who knows. Sakic has been very loyal to him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pierre Lacroix in the olden days would swing a big trade if he felt things were trending downward with the team, it usually did the trick. The Avs turned it completely around in the wake of the Bourque deal (Ray, not Gabriel if you were, y'know, wondering), and the trade for Konowalchuk more or less saved that season. Of course that was when the core of the team was still generationally elite with Sakic and Forsberg still in the mix. It's obviously not as easy

There's also the fact that some teams that should be selling *coughrangerscough* are staring down the rest of the league before they even think about parting with valuable assets, or even expiring ones they have no intention of bringing back.

I think we will see a couple deals as the deadline approaches, but nothing earth-shattering in Colorado.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I HIGHLY doubt they move any of them, unless it provides a long term solution. I think the most entertaining circumstance with the team from an outsiders perspective would be what they choose to do with Barrie and Varlamov. Barrie for trade reasons and Varly as he has been a top 5 goalie when healthy over the past 3 years (based off of statistics I think he's been 4th, which likely would surprise some people). I also don't expect them to do too much this season.

It would be pretty shocking if the avs end using all 5 of the top 100 picks that we currently own in this draft. We'd basically need the lotto gods to grant us Hughes with the OTT pick...and a handshake with Stone or Panarin about coming to Denver in FA wouldn't hurt. Maybe it would be enough to have heard through back-channels from their agents, that we'll be able to land both Hayes & Silfverberg in FA as long as we give up that extra year & overpay each one by ~1m a year.

...but getting two top 6 FAs to come to Colorado seems like a stretch when Ryan Smyth was the last top 6er to sign with the Avs in FA...
[snip]

Snow always loved Barrie, maybe he still has influence and Isles trade for him!

Despite the camp on this board that has a fetish for getting rid of him, it's highly unlikely that Barrie isn't with this team through most (if not all) of his next deal.

He & MacK are BFFs; he's our 3rd or 4th best offensive driver on the team; he's learned how to run the PP well & has great chemistry with the big line; with EJ's age starting to become a concern we need all of the highend blueliners that we can hold onto; and we're close to being able to keep one of Barrie, Girard or Makar on the ice at all times.

So unless Barrie decides to try to strongarm the team into giving him Karlsson money this summer, when he'll be eligible to sign an extension...or we could flip him & secondary futures for a young star Center like Draisaitl, Trocheck, PLD, etc. who would lock down our 2nd line throughout our window AND Sakic felt good about his chances of signing Karlsson to replace Tboobs...it's really unlikely that he isn't an Av for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

1) Let this season ride and see what happens, while addressing needs through the draft, and UFA.

2) Make a trade and give up assets he doesn't want to for a top 6 C/W. Assuming this is why he hasn't done so, because he doesn't like the asking prices.

3) Fire the coach.

We always knew this was going to be a wait and see year. With so many young talented players on the way, the draft having a huge impact on our future and decisions on certain roster players having to be made the Avs are kinda stuck until the off season. What ever happens happens this year, if the team is in the playoff hunt I could see him getting a rental for moderate to cheap price and if they miss then where the teams holes will be will only be that much more apparent.

The Avs are in no rush at all and are in a great spot.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

No coach has ever been in trouble over 6 games. That's just fans freaking out because that is what fans do. Pretty much every single team other than TBL has been on a losing streak like this, its normal.

Its also pretty silly to blame the coach for a 6 game losing streak but not give him credit for 2 10 game winning streaks ya know.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes, but our GM is Joe Sakic.. We won't see a trade for two years, but when we do it will be huge!

Trade MacKinnon before he turns into a 4-year-rental & we're forced to sell him for scraps?
It usually isn't a good idea to make a trade to stem a losing streak tide.

True...but making a trade that presents a longterm resolution to the causes of a losing streak, often is ;-)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wonder if Sakic just does an Andrighetto swap for someone. I don't think that will shake up the team very much though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure but when you have 2 1sts in a draft that is stacked with high end centers is trading for someone really a solution when you already have the assets that will possibly/likely end up filling that void?

When only 1 of those "highend centers" is likely to make an impact in the NHL before MacKinnon is in the final 2 seasons of his contract? F*** yeah it is. Unfortunately in real life you can't just wave a wand & have everyone on your roster at the peak of their abilities with the most team-friendly contractual status of their careers, all at the same time.

That's why lining up your timelines takes a s***ton of luck...or some proactivity...

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sick of the current whipping boys? Bring back the old ones!

It'll never happen, but swapping Marty back for Ghetto to bring in a physical presence might actually help a tad. That's only because Ghetto's not doing much of anything right now though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

3) Fire the coach.

Why should we assume that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad