Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Nah. Maybe for someone that doesn't suck.
Really? Eberle doesn't suck at all, his rep got ruined in Edmonton on that last year, he's ben a great Islander it's just that we have to commit to Lee and Nelson so with Bellows and Wahlstrom coming up and Ho-Sang buying in it doesn't make sense to commit to Eberle for 6 years.
Ah, okay. C is definitely where they're hurting (unless they just bite the bullet and put Soderberg up there but they'd rather crash and burn than do that). Honestly I think he'd be a good add, but I'm guessing the Avs have more serious needs and probably won't be a team looking to deal for him. Specifically, beyond the obvious need for a 2C, they need a guy who can get the job done in front of the net. Their net-front presence has improved in recent years, especially this year, but they just don't have a guy who can get to rebounds consistently and score the dirty goals. It could be a big guy like Anders Lee or a little guy like the late Marek Svatos, I don't care either way but they're ultimately limited on what they can do there until they get that type of player.
I would think if a team was looking to deal for Eberle it'd be a team like Carolina who need scoring talent like no one's business.

That's what I was guessing, hence the Q. Hockeydb told me down the middle you guys were alright stat wise but stats don't tell the full story. Boston would love Eberle but like Car we can't trade there because of the playoff positioning.

Reactions: Pokecheque

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I very much doubt the Blues blow it all up, Buffalo has their 1st this year or the next. Armstrong is already sweating in his chair and handing the Sabres a very high 1st will get him fired.

Correct, given the age of the core group in STL it's highly unlikely they blow it up completely. Would have way too many guys to move for it to be realistic and the owner wants to win now or at least soon.

Their best approach is to hope they retain the 1st this year, get a new coaching staff in here for next year and find a way to get either out from under Allen completely, or bring in another reasonably priced starter and just run an expensive duo in net till they can get out from under Allen (4.35 AAV x 3 seasons I believe). Not really a good answer here right now but it's hard to analyze with the current coaching and starter.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Was just going through the thread a bit, any interest in a RW?

They already have Mikko locked down as 1 RW and have Kaut likely making the team next year as another. So a short term 2 RW could be something the Avs look into.

Ultimately though a large amount of the Avs needs will depend on what they do with their 2 1sts this year. Its not unrealistic to see the Avs in a position to select a player like Kappo in the draft. So if they get a winger then 2c is instantly their biggest need. However if they get one of the high end centers like Cozens (sp) then they would likely just be looking for cost efficient short term depth at all positions while their kids develop while not committing any long term cap on anything that wasn't a core player.

Really with the Avs position I don't see much activity until the draft as so much depends on the result of that. Afterwards however I could see them ramp up finalizing where they want their roster to be at.

Also on a side note that is the dead horse of the thread, at some point it is likely Barrie will be traded before or during next year which will greatly shift the look of the Avs roster as well.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I very much doubt the Blues blow it all up, Buffalo has their 1st this year or the next. Armstrong is already sweating in his chair and handing the Sabres a very high 1st will get him fired.

Same here, like a few other teams they aren't willing to throw in the towel and accept a rebuild. They are more just a team that is completely out of ideas on what to do. STL has done everything they can over the years to try and make a winner and after going big in UFA on slower older players they have run out of options. I think that's really why you hear Tara rumors because that front office is in way over their heads, or at least haven't yet accepted the reality of the situation.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Avs were linked to Eberle back when he was in Edmonton. But I hope we stay away. Simply not the type of player we need.

Avs need 2nd liner scoring help in the worst way, if in UFA you can get him on a 3.4x3 kinda deal or a 4x2 you may consider it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Really? Eberle doesn't suck at all, his rep got ruined in Edmonton on that last year, he's ben a great Islander it's just that we have to commit to Lee and Nelson so with Bellows and Wahlstrom coming up and Ho-Sang buying in it doesn't make sense to commit to Eberle for 6 years.

That's what I was guessing, hence the Q. Hockeydb told me down the middle you guys were alright stat wise but stats don't tell the full story. Boston would love Eberle but like Car we can't trade there because of the playoff positioning.
Maybe not suck, but not a guy that's worth trading for. We already have similar options here.

Reactions: Waingro and Meeqs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They can't, IMO , let this season get away from them, but a panic trade obviously won't fix things. And even then, there are quite a few things they can try before even considering looking outside the organization for help.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
They already have Mikko locked down as 1 RW and have Kaut likely making the team next year as another. So a short term 2 RW could be something the Avs look into.

Ultimately though a large amount of the Avs needs will depend on what they do with their 2 1sts this year. Its not unrealistic to see the Avs in a position to select a player like Kappo in the draft. So if they get a winger then 2c is instantly their biggest need. However if they get one of the high end centers like Cozens (sp) then they would likely just be looking for cost efficient short term depth at all positions while their kids develop while not committing any long term cap on anything that wasn't a core player.

Really with the Avs position I don't see much activity until the draft as so much depends on the result of that. Afterwards however I could see them ramp up finalizing where they want their roster to be at.

Also on a side note that is the dead horse of the thread, at some point it is likely Barrie will be traded before or during next year which will greatly shift the look of the Avs roster as well.
The multiple picks makes the Avs interesting to watch from an outsiders perspective!
Maybe not suck, but not a guy that's worth trading for. We already have similar options here.
Got it.

Reactions: cgf and Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eberle doesn't suck. The only criticism I have regarding him isn't even his fault--the inept Oilers management (kind of a redundant term these days) at the time went with a huge long-term deal after one very promising rookie season, and he sorta leveled off. Still a very good player, but not quite the superstar they were hoping for. Snow still completely hoodwinked Chiarelli (1 of 2 times he did so) in the deal.

I mean, he addresses a big need, let's not kid ourselves, but he only addresses 1-2 needs (secondary scoring, power play guy) whereas I think they want someone who addresses multiple needs (2C, defense/checking ability, secondary scoring, size, etc.) and good as he is, JE isn't that guy. He'd be a better fit elsewhere.

My Okposo crack is made all that much funnier by the fact that he's been gone from Long Island for years now. :laugh:

Reactions: McMetal

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The multiple picks makes the Avs interesting to watch from an outsiders perspective!

Got it.

I HIGHLY doubt they move any of them, unless it provides a long term solution. I think the most entertaining circumstance with the team from an outsiders perspective would be what they choose to do with Barrie and Varlamov. Barrie for trade reasons and Varly as he has been a top 5 goalie when healthy over the past 3 years (based off of statistics I think he's been 4th, which likely would surprise some people). I also don't expect them to do too much this season.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Ah, gotcha. I bet if Lou picked up the phone and called John Chayka they'd take him! That guy loooooves to trade.

If y'all got a depth center who doesn't suck who's really good at faceoffs, that might be a better trade chip with the Avs...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
At this point Ghetto doesn’t have any actual value. He’s the type of player that a GM might like but will sneak his name in at the end of the conversation to close a deal. Imagine a trade that’s fair for both sides but then the other GM makes a pitch that if you “throw in Andrighetto and we have a deal”. Of course Joe does it because he has no use for Ghetto anyway and the other GM feels like he milked out a free asset that he liked even though he probably would have done the trade without him.

Reactions: cgf

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I do think the Avs will eventually move some expiring assets like Wilson and Andrighetto. It'd be nice if Ghetto could ghett it the hell going though...obviously he didn't have a chance to do so last night.

I think guys like Varly, Wilson, Sven, Nemeth, etc will all depend on where the Avs are in the standings. If they are in the middle of the playoffs then I don't think anyone goes as MGMT will want as much depth as possible. However if they are out of it then I could see them seeing what they could get but tbh with how deep the TDL will be this year in rentals I don't expect much interest. There are 20+ incredible rentals out there and the Avs aren't a team with one of them.

I think Nemeth is moved at the TDL and that's about it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Elite scorers generally don't fall off the cliff. Everyone in St. Louis is underperforming.

He would be a great buy low player. Pair him with Rantanen and look out.

Jost - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kerfoot - Tarasenko
Calvert - Soderberg - Compher
Nieto/Dries/Bourque/O'Conner

*almost everyone

There's a certain son of a cult leader who plays center for them who is on pace for a career year in goals & points by a hefty margin...and if they wanted to throw him in with Tara, I'd be absolutely delighted to pay the two of them 15M a year to anchor a 2nd legit scoring line :naughty:

And if we're getting into fantasy lines, I'd be more intrigued with seeing:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Mikko
Jost* - FA/Trade/Hughes* - Tara
Calvert/longbeach - Soda - Kaut*
AJ Greer - Kamenev - Jimmothy*

*depending on how exactly the roster played out

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Bednar's to blame for this losing streak, but he hasn't been able to fix these poor starts either.

Six game losing streak, playoff spot starting to slip away, embarrassing loss on NBC while the commentators talk endlessly about teams having the blueprint to beat the Avs, Quenneville available. His seat has to be getting hot at this point.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Eberle doesn't suck. The only criticism I have regarding him isn't even his fault--the inept Oilers management (kind of a redundant term these days) at the time went with a huge long-term deal after one very promising rookie season, and he sorta leveled off. Still a very good player, but not quite the superstar they were hoping for. Snow still completely hoodwinked Chiarelli (1 of 2 times he did so) in the deal.

I mean, he addresses a big need, let's not kid ourselves, but he only addresses 1-2 needs (secondary scoring, power play guy) whereas I think they want someone who addresses multiple needs (2C, defense/checking ability, secondary scoring, size, etc.) and good as he is, JE isn't that guy. He'd be a better fit elsewhere.

My Okposo crack is made all that much funnier by the fact that he's been gone from Long Island for years now. :laugh:
It's something we talked about too, he's probably going to get another deal for roughly the same deal (5.75-6.25 for 5-7 years) which is weird because usually this is the cash in deal. The Okposo one made me lol too, love that dude too but looks like we dodged one there.
I HIGHLY doubt they move any of them, unless it provides a long term solution. I think the most entertaining circumstance with the team from an outsiders perspective would be what they choose to do with Barrie and Varlamov. Barrie for trade reasons and Varly as he has been a top 5 goalie when healthy over the past 3 years (based off of statistics I think he's been 4th, which likely would surprise some people). I also don't expect them to do too much this season.
Isles had the 11 and 12 pick, was super tempting to move but it looks like it was the better move not too even if Whalstrom is struggling out the gate.

Snow always loved Barrie, maybe he still has influence and Isles trade for him!

Ah, gotcha. I bet if Lou picked up the phone and called John Chayka they'd take him! That guy loooooves to trade.

If y'all got a depth center who doesn't suck who's really good at faceoffs, that might be a better trade chip with the Avs...
That ain't us, Cizikas is our guy and heart of the team.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It's something we talked about too, he's probably going to get another deal for roughly the same deal (5.75-6.25 for 5-7 years) which is weird because usually this is the cash in deal. The Okposo one made me lol too, love that dude too but looks like we dodged one there.

Isles had the 11 and 12 pick, was super tempting to move but it looks like it was the better move not too even if Whalstrom is struggling out the gate.

Snow always loved Barrie, maybe he still has influence and Isles trade for him!

Thanks for the responses guys!

Well the Ott pick is never being moved, and I don't see many situations that make sense for the Avs to move theirs, especially with the team really not knowing where they will finish the year which will have a great effect on that. I think its likely they use both as the 1st round this year is tailored to their needs really well unlike last year. Barrie is and has been a top 5 offensive Dman for a long time and come the draft or if the Avs completely implode then it will be an interesting discussion, however its too early for that atm most likely but he will be very expensive and there will likely be no shortage of suitors, especially once teams lose out on the EK sweepstakes. For now though we should stay focused on more clear things like UFAs.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad