Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Probably ones that aren't available; Pietrangelo (of course), Dunn (absolutely yes to him), Edmundson, Parayko (would cost too much than what I would want to give up), Schmaltz, Barbashev, Schwartz, Sundqvist, Bokk, and Tarasenko. Also I would take Schenn, but not because he's amazing, but because I am desperate, lol. There are quite a bit of pieces I like from the Blues, they on paper don't look bad at all. Only three players I can't see them trading are O'Reilly, Thomas, and Kyrou.

It's funny because I just can't get excited by Schenn myself. I guess that is true for some people with Hayes too. Schenn is just a weird vanilla player for me.

I don't think STL is going to do anything to big personally. They could use this high pick, and turn things right around fairly quick by getting some goal-tending.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
I think the key right now is Francouz. If he ends up failing miserably the Avs are in very serious trouble. And even THEN I don't think he's a long-term guy. But if they can put something together that allows them to be a contender as the expected window of contention opens, we should be happy with the results.

We have our own big boy goalie brewing in Sweden. Adam Werner will turn just 22 on May and he has posted quite respectable numbers so far in his career.

Reactions: Pokecheque

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Ride it out. Get through these growing pains. This is a talented team but our entire core is full of 22 and 23 year olds. Who is our veteran leader? EJ? Calvert? Soderberg?

These are all learning experiences for these young guys.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
I really think we should trade Barrie, for an offensive d-man he has look pretty bad during this horrible stretch of a slump. Get something decent for him while we can and shake up the team a bit ; hopefully bring some life back to this team. Barrie game isn’t going to age well anyway.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I really think we should trade Barrie, for an offensive d-man he has look pretty bad during this horrible stretch of a slump. Get something decent for him while we can and shake up the team a bit ; hopefully bring some life back to this team. Barrie game isn’t going to age well anyway.

We trade Barrie when we know what we have in Makar.

Offensive puck moving Dmen aren't easy to find and fetch a premium.

Thankfully we have 3 of them

Reactions: klozge

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Leafs just had to do an emergency recall of Hutchinson as Andersen got placed on IR and Sparks may have a concussion. Varlamov would be the perfect add if Andersen is out long term (and varlamov is in fact not that injured).

I am fine with sitting out this season and not doing anything too crazy, this team is not as good as they were the first 30 games but are not as bad as they have been the last 10. If they can get a medium term 2 C solution, or a big fish that will sign long term (IE Stone) I am all for it, otherwise I would hope they sell off a tweener forward and a tweener D at the deadline.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
We have our own big boy goalie brewing in Sweden. Adam Werner will turn just 22 on May and he has posted quite respectable numbers so far in his career.

Hey, Werner, Chief Justus, Kvaca, I hope to hell one of these recent picks pans out, because virtually everyone before them has been a major disappointment with the exception of Picks...and, well, I don’t need to go any further than that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leafs just had to do an emergency recall of Hutchinson as Andersen got placed on IR and Sparks may have a concussion. Varlamov would be the perfect add if Andersen is out long term (and varlamov is in fact not that injured).

I am fine with sitting out this season and not doing anything too crazy, this team is not as good as they were the first 30 games but are not as bad as they have been the last 10. If they can get a medium term 2 C solution, or a big fish that will sign long term (IE Stone) I am all for it, otherwise I would hope they sell off a tweener forward and a tweener D at the deadline.

AVs lost 8 OT games. WPG & NSH lost 2. The difference is the OT losses separates being 1st to 4th in the division.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Just read an article from Mirtle that the leafs only have 1 million of cap space at the moment (because they do not want to use LTIR due to the pending Marner/Matthews bonuses).

The only true cap dump on their team is Zaitsev (who I would not touch) but a guy like Brown or Hyman might be useful in exchange for a cheaper lesser skilled forward like Nieto (I know it is not much savings but at this point every little bit helps). The guy I would really want is Kapanen but I cannot see them trading him until the offseason.

Sorry Patagonia I have no idea how to add a quote into this already posted post. I just don't see how the Avs can fix the OT issue. I do not see Bednar being fired, and I can't see a surefire OT winning player on the market.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The question is if Sakic is thinking about making trades to save this season as the Avs are falling behind, should he wait until trade deadline or do it now, because by the trade deadline this team might very well be too far back already to catch up the way they are playing right now.

Reactions: lonelybadger

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Just read an article from Mirtle that the leafs only have 1 million of cap space at the moment (because they do not want to use LTIR due to the pending Marner/Matthews bonuses).

The only true cap dump on their team is Zaitsev (who I would not touch) but a guy like Brown or Hyman might be useful in exchange for a cheaper lesser skilled forward like Nieto (I know it is not much savings but at this point every little bit helps). The guy I would really want is Kapanen but I cannot see them trading him until the offseason.

Sorry Patagonia I have no idea how to add a quote into this already posted post. I just don't see how the Avs can fix the OT issue. I do not see Bednar being fired, and I can't see a surefire OT winning player on the market.

I think part of the problem is the big line plays nearly half the game every night. Approx. double everyone else. They’re gassed at the end and considering it’s a long season, more prone to injuries.

OT with fewer players on the ice is a faster pace. Bednar can’t try to outscore the opposition every night with only the big line and expect them to keep the same pace in OT. He needs to improve secondary scoring or Sakic adds help. This will keep the players less tired and stronger when the playoffs arrive.

Reactions: klozge

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
The question is if Sakic is thinking about making trades to save this season as the Avs are falling behind, should he wait until trade deadline or do it now, because by the trade deadline this team might very well be too far back already to catch up the way they are playing right now.

This wouldn't be the worst year to miss the playoffs with us having two 1st round picks, it wouldn't be the worst thing if Rantanen cooled off a bit, with it being his contract year.

I wouldn't mind if Sakic made a minor trade or two, but no way i would trade for any of the big name rentals.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
This wouldn't be the worst year to miss the playoffs with us having two 1st round picks, it wouldn't be the worst thing if Rantanen cooled off a bit, with it being his contract year.

I wouldn't mind if Sakic made a minor trade or two, but no way i would trade for any of the big name rentals.
Can you keep Bednar then, though? I'm not the biggest fan of him right now but I realize good coaches don't exactly grow on trees.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Can you keep Bednar then, though? I'm not the biggest fan of him right now but I realize good coaches don't exactly grow on trees.

Bednar isn't responsible for the bottom 9 we have, he also isn't responsible for having basically no top pairing defenseman. Those are the 2 reasons why we are losing.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Bednar isn't responsible for the bottom 9 we have, he also isn't responsible for having basically no top pairing defenseman. Those are the 2 reasons why we are losing.
I don't think that matters. I don't always believe the players listen to him now, how well will they listen next season if they fail to make the playoffs this year?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Our roster has just been exposed, i can't blame this slump on Bednar even though he has made some questionable decisions lately. But for now i think he deserves another year.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Our roster has just been exposed, i can't blame this slump on Bednar even though he has made some questionable decisions lately. But for now i think he deserves another year.
I'm concerned the players will practically shut him out if they fail to make the playoffs after such a hot start.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the NHL all coaches have lifespans, and they tend to be short. Bednar is tied for the 10th most tenured coach right now going by seasons. All but 3 of those ahead of him have only been tenured for a season longer. I don't think what is going on here is totally on him, but he will be reaching the end of a typical tenure here soon. That said, the main issue with this team is the lack of a good second line. The expectation was that the youth would take over... and they haven't. As Elway once said, there is no plan B.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just checked out Tarasenko and man.. I didn't realize how bad he's been this year. only 22 points so far. Not even on pace for 50.
Fans on the Blues board think he might be done. Kind of like us with EJ. That's scary.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just checked out Tarasenko and man.. I didn't realize how bad he's been this year. only 22 points so far. Not even on pace for 50.

True, but this would be his first season with less than 30 goals since his 64-game sophomore year. I dunno if he’s got something bothering him off the ice, or he’s just burned out on STL, but I’m not buying that he just fell off a cliff at 26.

I think a change of scenery wouldn’t just revitalize him, but he would really thrive if he joined us to bolster the second line with the attention they get and the opportunity to play on the 1st PP unit with the big line & Barrie.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->