Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The team had a top 3 line in the league last season and they snuck into the playoffs on the final day of the season. Counting on "development" to compensate for likely regression + boost poor secondary scoring is playing with fire. I know 'advanced' stats aren't everything especially considering what the Caps's looked like during the regular season, but the Avs had the fewest shots on goal of any team in the league last year and the eye test supported just how poor the club looked when the top line wasn't on the ice. Aside from the occasional Soda line shift most goals they scored 5 v 5 from the non-MacK group were not based off of sustained and consistent offensive pressure.

Unless you're perfectly OK with the team stepping back next season (which means they'll miss the playoffs if they regress as a group even an inch) then secondary scoring needs to be looked at. And as for the 'trade Barrie' plan I think I saw someone just toss out...trading a guy who paced for 68 points and ran the powerplay is NOT how you solve scoring issues. It's how you compound them.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm all for addressing it at the draft by moving Barrie but if it takes until the deadline and it helps long-term , which is the plan then why not
Barrie can't be moved yet. As much as I don't see him in the team's long term future, he is still a top 4 D on a team with a bunch of question marks behind him. Maybe next draft we'll have a better idea of what Meloche, Makar, and Timmins could potentially do in the middle pair RD spot, and then we could find a way to move him if his opening offer in contract negotiations is bonkers. But for now, we can't open up a hole in the top 4 when we actually have four top 4 D on the team at once for the first time in forever.

Reactions: New Scotlander

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Trading Barrie wouldn't be playing with fire. It would be starting a fire in your living room , then dumping gas around the house, and expecting it to not burn down. He is one of two proven top 4D on the team (Z could be argued, but I need to see more consistency in his game personally... Girard shows promise but isn't there yet) and the other can't stay healthy...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Trading Barrie wouldn't be playing with fire. It would be starting a fire in your living room , then dumping gas around the house, and expecting it to not burn down. He is one of two proven top 4D on the team (Z could be argued, but I need to see more consistency in his game personally... Girard shows promise but isn't there yet) and the other can't stay healthy...

Plus he’s our superstars best friend to add on top of all that.

Reactions: Ivan13

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don’t believe he’s advocating moving Barrie for the sake of a trade. His possible contract, expansion and rise of Girard allows options to make a move.
Thank you, this helps.

The rise of Girard on left defense will certainly help the crater-sized hole on RD we’ll have.

Reactions: Ivan13

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Barrie can't be moved yet. As much as I don't see him in the team's long term future, he is still a top 4 D on a team with a bunch of question marks behind him. Maybe next draft we'll have a better idea of what Meloche, Makar, and Timmins could potentially do in the middle pair RD spot, and then we could find a way to move him if his opening offer in contract negotiations is bonkers. But for now, we can't open up a hole in the top 4 when we actually have four top 4 D on the team at once for the first time in forever.
I agree , let's go with what we have

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
According to the BSN guys he's the most well liked player in the locker room, everyone likes him.
If we're paying a guy to be well liked in the locker room why don't we just keep Yakupov? I don't get this argument for giving him a blank check at all. Players know this is a business and it doesn't matter whether you like a guy or not. Trades happen.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If we're paying a guy to be well liked in the locker room why don't we just keep Yakupov? I don't get this argument for giving him a blank check at all. Players know this is a business and it doesn't matter whether you like a guy or not. Trades happen.

Where was giving him a blank check implied there?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
We're on page 666...

:thumbu:
giphy.gif

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

It should never be the primary determinant in whether or not to sign a guy, and no one here is saying that it should be. But it plays a role, you want good players who are good guys in the locker room, obviously. No one is saying the Avs should just give Tyson Barrie a blank check either. It's a tough decision. I'm still not sure if he'd be worth the long-term investment or would bring more value in a trade, but as a fan of the guy I'd like for him to stick around as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->