Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic's going to wait until July, thinking Duchene will be willing to sign an extension with his new team.
Absolutely.

if
A) offers weren't good enough with 2.5 years left on contract at the last deadline
and
B) offers weren't good enough last summer with 2 years left while GM's were building their teams for the season
then
C) there's virtually no chance that the offers will be good enough this season

So Sakic's banking on the next (and last) logical step: Duchene being able to negociate an extension with new team. It's Joe's last card. If that one fails, we're getting rental value.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah. Just confirms that Sakic is an utter moron...

Not surprised that he isn't smart enough to take advantage of Duchenes hot start to cash in..

Odds are that he won't keep up the near PPG pace and we are also needlessly risking him getting injured..

Also we are close to the playoffs now in the standings so of course that takes precedent to everything else in Avsland....

There is just no way this ends well...

That extension bs will backfire hard and it also means no extra 1sts in 2018....

Great...

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That extension bs will backfire hard and it also means no extra 1sts in 2018....

All Duchene has to say is that he wants to become UFA and we're screwed. Like the Blues last year with Shatty. He wouldn't renegotiate an extension with a new team so they got rental value.

I can easily imagine Duchene wanting to become UFA instead of signing a long extension with a team like Carolina.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
All Duchene has to say is that he wants to become UFA and we're screwed. Like the Blues last year with Shatty. He wouldn't renegotiate an extension with a new team so they got rental value.

I can easily imagine Duchene wanting to become UFA instead of signing a long extension with a team like Carolina.

Not even that.

He just has to not sign an extension with the one team we are asking him to sign one (Sakic is not all of a sudden gonna find multiple offers he is willing to trade Duchene for in 10 months after not finding a dance partner in almost 1.5 years...) and we would be screwed.

Word would get out like it did with Shatty and Tampa and we are looking at a Shattenkirk like return.

Its just dumb.
Even Dater in his recent column has acknowledged that Duchene has to go before the deadline if we want to get anywhere near the value Sakic wants...

To me it looks like Sakic would rather let him go for rental value when everyone knows he is forced to because of Duchenes contract status instead of taking an ounce of risk earlier on when he has no excuse for getting the wrong return...

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not going to lie seeing Sergachev playing like that is pissing me right off. I'm 100% convinced that he would be an AV if Sakic didn't ask for the moon on top of him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not going to lie seeing Sergachev playing like that is pissing me right off. I'm 100% convinced that he would be an AV if Sakic didn't ask for the moon on top of him.
I agree. I think Sergachev was 100% on the table in a Duchene trade. I was crucified on here for suggesting doing it straight up back in February though.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Imagine sergachev and drouin were both on the Avs?

Dater said leafs had a scout at the game last night. I know Babcock likes Duchene but does not really make sense. Maybe they want Barrie? Brown and Lili anyone?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Imagine sergachev and drouin were both on the Avs?

Dater said leafs had a scout at the game last night. I know Babcock likes Duchene but does not really make sense. Maybe they want Barrie? Brown and Lili anyone?
Barrie's better, but EJ is the "type" of defenseman the Leafs need. They need a big, right handed shooting workhorse who can play top pairing minutes against other teams top lines.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Barrie's better, but EJ is the "type" of defenseman the Leafs need. They need a big, right handed shooting workhorse who can play top pairing minutes against other teams top lines.

100% agree. I just don't see them trading the assets for EJ (I know my idea of Marner was insane).

I would start with Brown, Lili, 1st+ but that does not really make the Avs better short or long term.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
To me it looks like Sakic would rather let him go for rental value when everyone knows he is forced to because of Duchenes contract status instead of taking an ounce of risk earlier on when he has no excuse for getting the wrong return...

Exactly!

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic can't trade Duchene to save his own life and people believe he'd trade EJ?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Was an early season trade ever really plausible? Either Duchene, and the team, are better than expected, and Sakic doesn’t want to destroy a hot streak. Or they’re worse and the value tanks. The only way a trade would’ve made sense is if Duchene was playing great but the team was awful. That was a slim chance.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Was an early season trade ever really plausible? Either Duchene, and the team, are better than expected, and Sakic doesn’t want to destroy a hot streak. Or they’re worse and the value tanks. The only way a trade would’ve made sense is if Duchene was playing great but the team was awful. That was a slim chance.

Yes, and I still expect it to happen within the next few weeks.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Duchene isn't getting traded until the 2018 draft at the very earliest so sit tight because it's going to be a while.

That would be so monumentally stupid. Even Adrian Dater of all people has understood that Duchene has to be moved by the deadline at the latest if we want to get anywhere close to good value.
And if Dater posts an article like that, I have not lost all hope that Sakic knows that as well...

Toronto scouting is curious.
Only way I could see a deal there is if it turns into a gigantic blockbuster (which is very unlikely considering who is in charge on the Avs).

EJ+ Duchene for Marner + picks and prospects with Marner getting swapped for Hanifin in a three way type of deal...

Not going to happen but anything else does not make much sense.

Sakic is never going to trade EJ just for picks and prospects or forwards...

Leafs can't afford to trade Rielly (and wouldn't for EJ).

Leafs should probably go all in over the next two years before Matthews 12M+ contract makes things tough capwise and they could pull it off financially if they send one or two of JVR/Bozak/Komarov our or Carolinas way.

Leafs guys love Duchene IIRC...

So yeah. Wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs would ask for something big. Lou, Babcock and friends certainly would have the balls to pull off something big and given the Marleau contract, they know their time is now.
But there is no way Sakic pulls something like that off..

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That would be so monumentally stupid. Even Adrian Dater of all people has understood that Duchene has to be moved by the deadline at the latest if we want to get anywhere close to good value.
And if Dater posts an article like that, I have not lost all hope that Sakic knows that as well...
Not saying I agree with it; Duchene should have been traded by the 2017 draft but I don't think Sakic will move him in-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->