Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Roy said last week that he's more interested in a management job than a coaching job these days. If Bergevin gets fired my money is on Julien Brisebois to get the GM job with Stephane Quintal as president. They'll copy the Leafs recipe.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
BriseBois would love to get back to Montreal, and Yzerman wouldn't get in his way. That just isn't how he operates. That said... somebody will give Roy a shot at a GM spot in the NHL, and I think he will do quite well in that role.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I've watched the avs since they were Nordiques. Do I qualify as having watched enough of him? People can have differing opinions of players while still having watched the same things.

Game changer, core player, all subjective terms. Each person has their own definitions of these things.

Paul Stastny, IMO, was by far, one of, if not the smartest passer the avs have had in over a decade. His specialty, was getting production out of everyone around him. That poor guy, was literally strapped, to David Jones for 2 or 3 straight seasons. Shockingly, the were most productive seasons in Jones's career. He was a career 30point player that Stastny was able to get 20+ goals from. He wasn't released from Jones' shackles until they trade him for Tanguay. Chris Stewart had his best numbers while playing with Stastny. Mackinnon had his best offensive season as stastny's winger.

So while not a game changer in the sense that we would deke two dmen and score a highlight reel goal, Stastny was a glue player. He elevated the play of everyone around him. He was such an efficient playmaker on this team, its sad to me that so many people ragged on him while he was here.

If he were still here, I have no doubt Mackinnon would be exploding offensively. Because that's just what Stastny did. He knew when to hit you with a pass, and where it would be most effective.

All because he got paid a little more than he should have when he signed his first big contract with Colorado, he was forever coined as Casper. Knowing that ROR was going to leave, I would've gladly signed Stastny.

Not to mention, it probably would've stopped us from signing Iginla AND Soderberg.

Thank you for your opinion EdAvsfan

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Roy might actually be good as a GM although I get the feeling Roy's personality might scare some owners away. Being as fiercely competitive as he is has some drawbacks.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think Roy might actually be good as a GM although I get the feeling Roy's personality might scare some owners away. Being as fiercely competitive as he is has some drawbacks.

I could def see it being a problem, i think there is a reason why MB is being given such a long leash and why at least from the ownership side there doesnt seem to be a sense of panic in regards to removing him.
Roy , i just dont see him being a fit there at all. I cant see the Habs handing over the kind of control he imo wants.
I do think he'll get a chance somewhere else though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Roy would be at his best in a "not under the spotlights" team, like GM in Carolina or San Jose where journalists would leave him alone and not second-guess him all the time. He's a bad fit for Montreal especially at this point in time where they need some stability.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He'd be the best for a win now team, not a building one.
Roy did some things to win now but make no mistake about it this organization started to improve it's drafting/development the second Roy arrived. He'd be fine for a team that needs to be built, too. Who knows just how good he'd be, but I think he 100% believes in drafting and development being integral to success.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
In hindsight I kind of feel that we would be better off if Sakic had left instead of Roy.

The biggest reason being that he's a very aggressive, demanding type of guy. And with the Kroneke's non caring ownership I think he would push for things that others wouldn't.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He'd be the best for a win now team, not a building one.

He could do either. Very, very keen eye for talent which is the most important thing for a GM (and the balls to pull off big moves). If his plan had come to fruition, this team would look better now and into the future.

Without Roy, I doubt we see MacK, Rants, Greer, Meloche, and Beaudin in this organization.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In hindsight I kind of feel that we would be better off if Sakic had left instead of Roy.

The biggest reason being that he's a very aggressive, demanding type of guy. And with the Kroneke's non caring ownership I think he would push for things that others wouldn't.
We wouldn't have Jared freaking Bednar as our head coach, that alone is enough of a reason to want to keep Roy and wish Sakic left.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He could do either. Very, very keen eye for talent which is the most important thing for a GM (and the balls to pull off big moves). If his plan had come to fruition, this team would look better now and into the future.

Without Roy, I doubt we see MacK, Rants, Greer, Meloche, and Beaudin in this organization.
Pretty sure Sakic was the Mikko lover. Just as he was with Barkov. So yeah we may not have all those guys but (Greer especially) but we'd still have Mikko and would probably have Barkov or Seth Jones instead of Mackinnon.

I love Roy, but he's just too much of a competitor to put the team's future ahead of right now. I think he can make a good NHL GM, but I also believe he would have hurt Colorado based on where exactly they were in the timing of building a team. The situation for Roy would have to be the right one imo. Montreal might be that place. They have no future and quite honestly don't have much of a team right now. If Roy could get in there and somehow work miracles into turning that team back into a win now team that would be a tremendous accomplishment and he's probably one of the ones who could pull it off.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would have loved Roy as the GM instead of Sakic, his passion and "round objects on the table" mentality is better suited for a GM role, most likely as others have said as a team ready to take that next step and contend than a rebuilding team, but he clearly had some pretty good ideas (the rumored ottawa trade, going after drouin).

I wonder if the Knights would look at trading one of their many D for a goalie, I know the Avs do not have one to offer but a few teams do.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If we had kept Roy I'm pretty sure this team would implode. He's too emotional and headstrong to be GM. Sakic has all the signs of being able to be a good GM, but he hasn't surrounded himself with good people yet and that's been his undoing. Which is more problematic for him as VP/President then as GM, he's the one that is making staff decisions and they're failures so far. Overall though his patience, willingness to listen to counsel, methodical approach to conducting business is very good. It means we wouldn't just trade someone for the sake of getting rid of them when their personality clashes with Roy.

Reactions: avsfan09

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I do see your point Lonewolfe about Roy's tendancy to lose it and yes he would probably implode, he also had the francophone QMJHL nepotism which was an issue.

I agree that Sakic's biggest issue is who he surrounds himself with, he should have fired Roy, Army, probably Bednar instead of having everyone hang around. I don't think Sakic will ever become anything than average, I think he is average now, and that is usually decent enough to make a playoff team. The other issue I have with Sakic is his inability to seemingly close. I know it takes two to tango, but Sakic is the one GM that you always see smoke and then there is never any fire.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Sakic has all the signs of being able to be a good GM, but he hasn't surrounded himself with good people yet and that's been his undoing.

I would say the signs show exactly the opposite. Terrible coaching, keeps his staff around for years even if they are terrible, loses many trades, horrible UFA contracts, questionable drafting, changes his "plan" quite often, goes for it if the team is even close to making the playoffs, doesn't rebuild when he should, not good at all in asset management, afraid to make big moves.....

Reactions: StayAtHomeAv

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Duchene update via NHL Radio. Kouleas had Doug Honegger on, I'll try to paraphrase best I can.

- Duchene still wants out and is pretty adamant about it.
- NYR and OTT appear to have been the most aggressive, NSH and CLB also made offers.
- No one apparently knows exactly what Sakic wants (that seems to confirm the reports that he's not making any counteroffers).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pretty sure Sakic was the Mikko lover. Just as he was with Barkov. So yeah we may not have all those guys but (Greer especially) but we'd still have Mikko and would probably have Barkov or Seth Jones instead of Mackinnon.

I love Roy, but he's just too much of a competitor to put the team's future ahead of right now. I think he can make a good NHL GM, but I also believe he would have hurt Colorado based on where exactly they were in the timing of building a team. The situation for Roy would have to be the right one imo. Montreal might be that place. They have no future and quite honestly don't have much of a team right now. If Roy could get in there and somehow work miracles into turning that team back into a win now team that would be a tremendous accomplishment and he's probably one of the ones who could pull it off.

I have it on pretty solid authority that Mikko was a Roy push, but neither here nor there at this point.

I think that is just a popular misconception. There were plenty of times where Roy tried to uplift the future over the present. He wouldn't be the type to gut a team completely, but he'd make moves that might not be the best in the interim to improve the long-term.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
If new york would offer Skjei I would take that, even if it is just 1 for 1. I would throw out some feelers to the leafs for Erik Johnson, he is exactly what they need, they can afford his cap hit, it decimates the avs defense this year, but hey Cale Makar and a shot at Dahlin....

If they could swing Marner for Johnson just imagine how much better he could make Mackinnon.

And then if the avs could somehow win the lottery you could go with

rants-mack-marner
lando-jost-compher

Dahlin-Makar
Zads - Barrie

Anyway I will show myself out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad