Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
CB Joe you need to either re-watch the Avs games when Staz was here or ask someone on this forum that has watched Staz play for us. He is a good player but not a game changer. He has not scored over 20 goals for the Blues and demoted to a 3rd and 4th line. He is a player that was getting paid 6 - 7.5M. He is good with passing the puck and playing good on a defensive side of the game but he is not a core player.
I've watched the avs since they were Nordiques. Do I qualify as having watched enough of him? People can have differing opinions of players while still having watched the same things.

Game changer, core player, all subjective terms. Each person has their own definitions of these things.

Paul Stastny, IMO, was by far, one of, if not the smartest passer the avs have had in over a decade. His specialty, was getting production out of everyone around him. That poor guy, was literally strapped, to David Jones for 2 or 3 straight seasons. Shockingly, the were most productive seasons in Jones's career. He was a career 30point player that Stastny was able to get 20+ goals from. He wasn't released from Jones' shackles until they trade him for Tanguay. Chris Stewart had his best numbers while playing with Stastny. Mackinnon had his best offensive season as stastny's winger.

So while not a game changer in the sense that we would deke two dmen and score a highlight reel goal, Stastny was a glue player. He elevated the play of everyone around him. He was such an efficient playmaker on this team, its sad to me that so many people ragged on him while he was here.

If he were still here, I have no doubt Mackinnon would be exploding offensively. Because that's just what Stastny did. He knew when to hit you with a pass, and where it would be most effective.

All because he got paid a little more than he should have when he signed his first big contract with Colorado, he was forever coined as Casper. Knowing that ROR was going to leave, I would've gladly signed Stastny.

Not to mention, it probably would've stopped us from signing Iginla AND Soderberg.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm usually the I don't want to hear about FA and signing guys person. But seriously, if any halfway decent FA would come here it's Stastny. He's talked about how much he loves Denver that when he retires he's going to live here. I think he still has a house and summers here. Now, how does he feel about the org idk. But I think that's a very doable scenario especially if Duchene is finally traded. I'd we willing to go with a fair offer too. If he thinks he's going to go crazy on UFA now then no. But getting assets for Duchene and Stastny back is as Sea Eagles as I'm going to go :)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Stastny would probably sign here for the exact same contract we gave to Soda ( 5 X 4.75M). Not sure if I'd like it or not.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
4 years would be good I think.

I didn't even realised that his contract is already up next summer. Getting old. I would really like to see Rantanen with Stastny. Could be really great. Even though I would not be sold on stripping Rants away from Mac.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
CB Joe you need to either re-watch the Avs games when Staz was here or ask someone on this forum that has watched Staz play for us. He is a good player but not a game changer. He has not scored over 20 goals for the Blues and demoted to a 3rd and 4th line. He is a player that was getting paid 6 - 7.5M. He is good with passing the puck and playing good on a defensive side of the game but he is not a core player.

Don't need to. I've seen them all. Never said he was a game changer he's just one of the best forwards that played on this team the last decade. I'm not sure why you think Stastny was a goal scorer he's a playmaker. As the game gets faster he'll be less and less relevant for the Avs but he'd still make a nice addition to this team.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
It would be sweet if Pauly Walnuts would come back on a 4 year not outrageous contract. But you would need to get rid of Soda first, even if you play Mack at wing, Soda would likely be the 3C with Jost/Compher/Stastny as 1-2.

Niemi on waivers, I would be surprised if Vegas does not claim him. They need someone to play

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Fehr is also on waivers and we need a guy for the PK + 4C especially with the injuries. He'd be an upgrade over Comeau even when the team's healthier anyways, I'm sure he can play on the wing at that point.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Fehr is also on waivers and we need a guy for the PK + 4C especially with the injuries. He'd be an upgrade over Comeau even when the team's healthier anyways, I'm sure he can play on the wing at that point.
Yeah there's absolutely no need to take on that contract. I don't even think he's better than Comeau anyway.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
JJ saying Bernier may have tweaked something at practice. Avs are going to claim Niemi, book it.

3873636.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the Avs claim Niemi everyone down to the concession stand staff need to be fired. I don't know if the numbers reflect it but I'm fairly confident in saying he's the WORST goalie in the NHL this year, and it's not even close. I'm saying that knowing full well Steve Mason is also still in the league.

If nothing else they should just trade back for Picks.

I'm obviously heavily biased but yes, if Stazz wanted to come back I'd welcome him with open arms.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
People forget just how big of a different maker Stastny really was too easily. He was the center of our offense for a long time, pulling deadweights like Yip, Galiardi, Wolski, Porter and Stewart along with him. His playmaking really was something to remark at. Adding him back and letting him lead the youth would be a solid signing as long as it meant the end of Soderberg in Colorado.

But then again, I did write up one of my longest posts every defending him back in the day. So I may be a bit biased. It was really bittersweet seeing him work so well with Landy/MacK before bolting for St. Louis.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If the Avs claim Niemi everyone down to the concession stand staff need to be fired. I don't know if the numbers reflect it but I'm fairly confident in saying he's the WORST goalie in the NHL this year, and it's not even close. I'm saying that knowing full well Steve Mason is also still in the league.

You leave Frank the hell alone, sir!

Reactions: Pokecheque

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I still really like Stastny. He may not be an offensive dynamo, but he is a good center, usually pretty reliable, and is good at slowing down the play. I would welcome him back

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
People forget just how big of a different maker Stastny really was too easily. He was the center of our offense for a long time, pulling deadweights like Yip, Galiardi, Wolski, Porter and Stewart along with him. His playmaking really was something to remark at. Adding him back and letting him lead the youth would be a solid signing as long as it meant the end of Soderberg in Colorado.

But then again, I did write up one of my longest posts every defending him back in the day. So I may be a bit biased. It was really bittersweet seeing him work so well with Landy/MacK before bolting for St. Louis.

There was no way in hell he was worth keeping at 7M/yr.. He was making 6.6M and talking about taking home town discounts right before he walked. They offered him something in the 6M range as well. So it's not like they didn't try to keep him, even at a over priced rate. Hes also had a lot of injuries in his career, and STL was no different. I'm not giving him a contract of any sort over 4m for 3yrs at 32. He'd have to be on a veteran third line center contract at a very fair rate.

I was also one of his defenders throughout his time with the Avs, but I've got zero nostalgia left due to the way he strung the organization along making them think he was staying, and he wouldn't be a good bet at this point in his career.

Reactions: StayAtHomeAv

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Stastny will follow the money. If there's a team out there willing to overpay for his services like the Blues did, that's exactly where he'll go.

Also, **** that in regards to a potential Juolevi deal. Don't want any part of that at all. I'm about as low on that kid as can possibly be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad