Pre-Game Talk: Avs - Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not going to be the one to make a GDT but I figured we needed to get a little chatter going. Mods, feel free to delete this once somebody makes an official one.

Avs take on the Pens in the Burgh tonight. How do you guys see the game going? The battle of Cole Harbour is getting lot's of press. The Avs are getting a lot of air time lately here in Canada. My girlfriend serves at a Don Cherry's sports bar where the game will be aired and I even altered my Duchene jersey for her to be able to wear tonight. A lot of my friends have judged me the last few years for being an Avs fan but there's been nothing but compliments this year. Hopefully the boys have another good showing on TSN tonight.

I made a few avs photos for some laughs. Credit to theStranger for the quote used on the downie photo.
null_zpscfdb40d4.jpg

null_zps41c90d20.jpg

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Awesome. Can't wait for this match up. I think the Avs play hard in this one. The win might be tough but I expect a good game. It's getting a fair amount of hype too. NHL.com has four stories up about MacKinnon (and Crosby obviously). I'm glad the team's performance justifies the hype and not some preordained storyline.

As far as news, same lineup tonight.

member 116861

I didn't know where to post this so I thought I would post it here.

16. As the Avalanche prepare for what should be a great game in Pittsburgh on Monday, I asked a couple of scouts about the biggest difference between their young players and Edmonton's. The No. 1 answer was "Colorado's check." The other response was, "They really come back to get the puck, so their defencemen don't have to handle it much."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...oughts-playoff-chase-begins-early-in-nhl.html

Isn't this exactly what some Avs fans and Oilers fans were arguing about a couple weeks ago?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I love Mackinnon and he's gonna be great, but him and Roy are really helping get guys like Duchene, O'Reilly, Mcginn and Downie on the map. Keep bringing the press while these guys continue to play the same game they have for a while for us.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Wow those memes are awesome. I could easily see this game being a 5-4 affair. Probably ends up 1-0 though....

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Downie is like that kid that always managed to break his leg jumping off a garage roof.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I love Mackinnon and he's gonna be great, but him and Roy are really helping get guys like Duchene, O'Reilly, Mcginn and Downie on the map. Keep bringing the press while these guys continue to play the same game they have for a while for us.

Yep, if the hype brings some deserved attention to Duchene in particular that would be fantastic. NHL.com gave Duchene the #1 goal for the week, that's some good recognition.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, if the hype brings some deserved attention to Duchene in particular that would be fantastic. NHL.com gave Duchene the #1 goal for the week, that's some good recognition.

It's also good publicity when Don Cherry comes out and says Duchene is the best player right now.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Don't think the Avs win this one. They haven't really faced a team that is two lines deep, let alone with two of the best players in the world. Hejda-EJ are going to have their hands full with Crosby, while Malkin gets to feast on either of the other two pairings. Not only does Crosby get what seems like two points a game regardless of the matchup, but Malkin will pretty much have no defensive unit covering him.

That said, it seems like the type of game the Avs shock the world and win.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Don't think the Avs win this one. They haven't really faced a team that is two lines deep, let alone with two of the best players in the world. Hejda-EJ are going to have their hands full with Crosby, while Malkin gets to feast on either of the other two pairings. Not only does Crosby get what seems like two points a game regardless of the matchup, but Malkin will pretty much have no defensive unit covering him.

You mean basically 2 best centers in the world deep? I think we have superior depth to Penguins. I'm not worried. We can win this. :yo:

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I swear I hate Monday's because I don't think I process information quickly enough (due to wanting it to still be the weekend).

But what does he mean with the answer "Colorado's Check"?

I read that as Colorado's young players hit and get physical. Edmontons don't so much.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I swear I hate Monday's because I don't think I process information quickly enough (due to wanting it to still be the weekend).

But what does he mean with the answer "Colorado's Check"?

Our forecheck and backcheck, not necessarily our physicality like some are alluding to.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So with Barrie missing the fifth straight game now, at what point do you send him to AHL and recall Hunwick just so he gets games. If Patrick doesn't have faith in him, you're doing double damage by him not playing games.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011

The panthers beat them so we should give them a fight. I think their backup is in and he let in some softies against the panthers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad