Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Add Fleury.

It was Neil Smith going crazy.

Apparently one of the Avs owners sent Rangers a photo after the Sakic offer sheet. I think it was a photo of Rockefeller flipping the bird:

This made Rangers go after every Avs player they could for a while. I don't think it helped Rangers but I guess they got something out of their system.

Neil Smith slammed Avs during this whole O'Reilly affair, but knowing history who would expect anything else?

Now i understand Neil Smith's reaction , i was like :loony::huh: what's going on with him ? Thanks for the info .

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yes. I am sure I don't need to tell you this but professional athletes aren't like most people - they have a reasonably small window to make large amounts of money, and if something happens to them like an injury where they aren't as good afterwards they are screwed, or at least that incredible earning potential is gone. You don't see that many athletes in any sport taking less money, though it does happen. It keeps being said that none of us would try to earn less money in our lives, so why expect it from these guys?

That's why I can see him taking less than $6.5M/yr to sign a long-term contract that gives him some security.

Now i understand Neil Smith's reaction , i was like :loony::huh: what's going on with him ? Thanks for the info .

The strange thing is that he said him and Lacroix are friends and there are no hard feelings. It didn't seem like he was being sarcastic either.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
O'Reilly is going to be the 2nd highest paid player on the team, despite missing 19 games.

He better produce or he will deserve the 'Stastny treatment'.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
O'Reilly is going to be the 2nd highest paid player on the team, despite missing 19 games.

He better produce or he will deserve the 'Stastny treatment'.

Agreed and TBH the Avs need to decide which two centers they want to go forward with and then they need to trade the odd man out for a #2 dman.

Duchene isnt going anywhere...but ROR and Staz are both making too much to keep both. This is how we boost our D core. Well that and if we can somehow get the #1 pick for Mr Jones.

If they commit to ROR we can trade Staz any time now. If they like Staz better, we have a year of ROR before we can trade him.

Also in FA this year can we PLEASE get a better top 6 winger than jones?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Agreed and TBH the Avs need to decide which two centers they want to go forward with and then they need to trade the odd man out for a #2 dman.

Duchene isnt going anywhere...but ROR and Staz are both making too much to keep both. This is how we boost our D core. Well that and if we can somehow get the #1 pick for Mr Jones.

If they commit to ROR we can trade Staz any time now. If they like Staz better, we have a year of ROR before we can trade him.

Also in FA this year can we PLEASE get a better top 6 winger than jones?

Jones will not get a 1st rounder and we might as well keep him until the summer, by when we should know whether a compliance buyout is necessary.

I'm hoping we keep all three centers, since the C spot is the most important. Staz and RoR are both making too much, but obviously not for long. It will come down to whether these players are willing to take less money, which depends on production. I think that if you can sign all three centers for $16 million, the avs should do it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Duchene and Landeskog are going to ask for $6.5M/yr :scared:

Duchene will get paid either way if he keeps this play up. He would have no matter what happened with O'Reilly.

Question is if Landeskog will get a bridge deal or a long term deal if he puts up three strong seasons in a row, which seems like a reasonable guess at this stage.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
When is the trade deadline next season? It's after Feb 28th I hope. Would be good to ship O'Reilly out right on the 28th next year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Duchene will get paid either way if he keeps this play up. He would have no matter what happened with O'Reilly.

Question is if Landeskog will get a bridge deal or a long term deal if he puts up three strong seasons in a row, which seems like a reasonable guess at this stage.

Duchene might get $6.5M/yr but I don't think Landeskog will come close to that number. People seem convinced that the Avs are screwed now and $6.5M will be the starting point in negotiations for both Duchene and Landeskog.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010

Didn't the Avs offer a 5 year deal to O'Reilly? If they're willing to go 5 with O'Reilly, I think they'll do the same with Landeskog if he has 3 straight strong seasons.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
When is the trade deadline next season? It's after Feb 28th I hope. Would be good to ship O'Reilly out right on the 28th next year.

Would also be good if he and the Avs could arrive at a fair price for a long-term deal.

I don't know if ROR would do that, though. He has to know he angered management, and I can't imagine there is much trust on either side. O'Reilly has to suspect (perhaps correctly) that even if he were to sign a long term deal at a reasonable price, he might still be traded at next year's deadline.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Jones will not get a 1st rounder and we might as well keep him until the summer, by when we should know whether a compliance buyout is necessary.

I'm hoping we keep all three centers, since the C spot is the most important. Staz and RoR are both making too much, but obviously not for long. It will come down to whether these players are willing to take less money, which depends on production. I think that if you can sign all three centers for $16 million, the avs should do it.

Agreed that C is most important, but having depth at a position and having very little at another (D) usually calls for a trade.

The only situation I think we keep both ROR and Staz is if Staz might be able to play wing like some suggested in the Lines thread. A line of Landy ROR Staz might up Staz's work ethic and he gets to set up better players than Jones... I would love to see Sacco try this but unfortunately he lacks the creativity to see it.

Unless Mitchell falls off the planet he doesnt deserve to be demoted to 4th line center.

Thus Id like to see

McGinn Duchene PAP
Lando ROR Staz
Hejduk Mitchell Jones
4th line is 4th line

Jones just doesnt deserve top 6 minutes. He needs a better work ethic and a tougher mentality.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Agreed that C is most important, but having depth at a position and having very little at another (D) usually calls for a trade.

The only situation I think we keep both ROR and Staz is if Staz might be able to play wing like some suggested in the Lines thread. A line of Landy ROR Staz might up Staz's work ethic and he gets to set up better players than Jones... I would love to see Sacco try this but unfortunately he lacks the creativity to see it.

Unless Mitchell falls off the planet he doesnt deserve to be demoted to 4th line center.

Thus Id like to see

McGinn Duchene PAP
Lando ROR Staz
Hejduk Mitchell Jones
4th line is 4th line

Jones just doesnt deserve top 6 minutes. He needs a better work ethic and a tougher mentality.

I'd like to see Dutch get someone better than McGinn on his line.

Duke is probably done. Ginner could help Johnny Malkin and Jones. McGinn and Jones played well on Staz's line when McGinn first got here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like how Ryan told reporters the reason for #90 was just to have a fresh start after all of this, when we all know he decided on the change in the summer. :laugh:

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Duchene and Landeskog are going to ask for $6.5M/yr :scared:

Landeskog will not get close to that number on his second contract. He will probably be offered much less, and he will likely gladly accept. Duchene, on the other hand, will get $6-$6.5 million long term.

I don't get the panic.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Unless he's willing to take less on a long term deal, I see almost no chance he doesn't just take his QO's until he becomes a UFA. In fact I think there's probably a good chance he'll do that anyway, unless the Avs clean house with the management.

He spoke about not knowing what the future holds and possibly blowing out his knee so maybe he'll want the guaranteed 25-30 million over 5-6 years rather than the guaranteed 13 million for two years.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

Avs can still trade O'Reilly after the deadline, he just won't be able to play in the playoffs. Since he is such a valuable young asset he may draw the interest of non-playoffs teams even before the draft.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
He spoke about not knowing what the future holds and possibly blowing out his knee so maybe he'll want the guaranteed 25-30 million over 5-6 years rather than the guaranteed 13 million for two years.

Or maybe karma will bite him in the ass for saying he needed his big payday right now because he could blow his knee out any time.

I certainly do NOT want that to happen, but through my years I've learned not to say stuff like that about me or my family.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Possibly, and if he's telling the truth in that regard, that's a good reason to take the longer deal for less. He could blow out his knee in the first year of the QO, and never get close to what he would have made long term.

I took that post down BTW, because I didn't read yours right. I thought you were talking about O'Reilly for some reason, not Dutchy and Landy what I was saying didn't really apply.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Landeskog will not get close to that number on his second contract. He will probably be offered much less, and he will likely gladly accept. Duchene, on the other hand, will get $6-$6.5 million long term.

I don't get the panic.

I don't get the panic either but the media is all over it. "Duchene is loving this contract", "Duchene and Landeskog must be licking their chops", "Just wait until Duchene and Landeskog's contracts expire", etc.

I've heard it from Greg Wyshinski, Kevin Weekes, and PJ Stock so not the smartest guys out there but they seem to be convinced that the Avs are ****ed.

Duchene is going to get paid regardless. After he signed this bridge contract, I believe he even said something about getting his big contract after he proves his worth in the next two seasons. They're acting like this is something new just because of O'Reilly.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I've heard it from Greg Wyshinski, Kevin Weekes, and PJ Stock so not the smartest guys out there but they seem to be convinced that the Avs are ****ed.

You heard it on hotstove? Those guys know nothing about any team not in Canada. Healy has a hate on for the Avs brass as well (as do a lot of hockey people...justifiably).

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Avs can still trade O'Reilly after the deadline, he just won't be able to play in the playoffs. Since he is such a valuable young asset he may draw the interest of non-playoffs teams even before the draft.

Well in that case it would be pointless to trade him after Feb 28th if we're competing for a playoff spot next season because the other team couldn't use him either (and one of the assets coming back they themselves might need for the playoff like a 2nd dman). So I guess summer 2014 is the soonest he's getting moved unless Stastny's gone instead.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
I like how Ryan told reporters the reason for #90 was just to have a fresh start after all of this, when we all know he decided on the change in the summer. :laugh:

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Sounds like a little bs, stroking the fans, counting on the masses not paying attention in the off season, and hoping no one noticed. Makes me think even more that he's not the kind of guy I thought he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->