Avs Man Cave

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
out.
standing.

My hat is off to you. Impeccable taste and wonderful craftsmanship. You, sir...are a credit to our gender. :bow:

Thank you, sir. :)

I don't, and it's none of my business (I know that), but daaaamn, I'm STILL looking at these pics today and am entirely envious of what you were able to do.

Just cannot believe the beauty of this thing. Man STG, that hard work has definitely paid off....just "wow" is all I can think of.

Thanks again, RL. Well, it isn't really a secret and I'm in no way ashamed at all of what I do. SEPH and a few others will remember that I'm a Math teacher. I started tutoring on the side a few times a week a couple years ago and like any second job it keeps me away from my kids, but like any second job it pulls in some extra dough. I funneled a lot of the extra I've made the last two years into the bar project. Summers off helps out with the time to work, too.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Shutup. Seriously? Which part are you talking about? The stuff that looks like the pressed copper tiles?

Yup. Amazon.com. Search foam ceiling tiles. Here's mine (I think):

http://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Tile-Antique-Copper-Graphite/dp/B003E6N6JO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1383624217&sr=8-17&keywords=foam+ceiling+tiles+copper
41EvouQanHL.jpg

One of the easiest parts of the project. Done in 1 day. Blue foamboard adhesive from HomeDepot, a straight edge and a utility knife (and a tape measure). Measure, cut, stick, done. Then, later, bang the F out of 3 or 4 tiles with the G.D. stone for the fireplace and the door, and the story is over :).

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I seriously appreciate the link. That could come in so handy as we begin our kitchen renovation next spring.
[edit...just noticed those could be painted. Did you airbrush yours for the patina or was that straight out of the box?]

[edit x2...The more I look at this the more I notice...Do you have artwork permanently installed and just hang the jerseys over it to create the man-cave experience or did y'all switch it out completely so the sweaters will always be there? I've thought about getting some game-worn jerseys for display and was told that they should be framed in a box (potentially with an inert gas to prevent the signatures from decaying as rapidly.) That was just a friend telling me stuff though, so he could've been blowing smoke up my ass as normal to sound intelligent, but it kinda made sense at the time.]

Last edited:

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
I seriously appreciate the link. That could come in so handy as we begin our kitchen renovation next spring.
[edit...just noticed those could be painted. Did you airbrush yours for the patina or was that straight out of the box?]

I'm good, but I don't think I could airbrush anything:laugh:. Straight out da box. They're very affordable pre painted. Just remember they're delicate. So, no popping champagne corks in the new kitchen. And don't hang your sex swing in there either. The tiles would never hold up.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm good, but I don't think I could airbrush anything:laugh:. Straight out da box. They're very affordable pre painted. Just remember they're delicate. So, no popping champagne corks in the new kitchen. And don't hang your sex swing in there either. The tiles would never hold up.

You've obviously never seen a picture of me...I wouldn't trust my weight on a red-wood in the boon-docks of California. :laugh:

Once again...thank you for the pictures and the inspiration. It is so cool what people can do with a little know-how and can-do attitude. Your basement is a wonder and you should be very proud. Thank you for sharing with us!

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
[edit x2...The more I look at this the more I notice...Do you have artwork permanently installed and just hang the jerseys over it to create the man-cave experience or did y'all switch it out completely so the sweaters will always be there? I've thought about getting some game-worn jerseys for display and was told that they should be framed in a box (potentially with an inert gas to prevent the signatures from decaying as rapidly.) That was just a friend telling me stuff though, so he could've been blowing smoke up my ass as normal to sound intelligent, but it kinda made sense at the time.]

Lol. The jersey to art is part of the quick transition between sports bar and wine bar. The jerseys are just hung on upside down hangers from little finish nails. They'll come down and the painting will go back up where the Forsberg jersey is when the girls come over. I'll eventually get a frame or two and display them that way instead of just hanging them from a nail. I like the frames with hinges so I can switch them out from game to game or even sport to sport. I'm not sure what to think of the sealed frame stuff. I have a couple auto'd replica jerseys and someday plan to get them framed here:
http://www.jerseyframing.ca/ I don't think they seal with inert gas or anything, but they do offer museum glass with UV protection and all that. Expensive, but they do a nice job.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
You've obviously never seen a picture of me...I wouldn't trust my weight on a red-wood in the boon-docks of California. :laugh:

Once again...thank you for the pictures and the inspiration. It is so cool what people can do with a little know-how and can-do attitude. Your basement is a wonder and you should be very proud. Thank you for sharing with us!

LOL, too funny.

Thanks, man. I appreciate your kind words.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Ok, folks...ex-tex commented on how far a little can-do attitude can get you coupled with a little know how and that made me think of another avs themed project I completed a couple years ago. I've been thinking I'd eventually shoe-horn in a pic or two of this project somewhere, but I never really found the right place or the right time to do it. So, since you've all been so awesome about my showing off the bar, I figure I can use my own thread to show off the zamboni bed I built for my 6 year old son.

Here you go:

rsz_img_2448.jpg

rsz_img_2457.jpg

rsz_img_2403.jpg

rsz_img_2412.jpg

The 4 switches on the dash each make their own sound - Gary Thorne's call of Joe Sakic's powerplay goal in game 7 of the 2001 finals - A montage from Peter Forsberg's jersey retirement video - The Pepsi Center Goal horn - and the dumbest of the 4, the "beep beep" of a truck backing up. The control on the left works a string of waterproof LED lights and works as his night light. There's a built in bookshelf in the front, and underneath is empty and he uses it like a fort. Pretty cool :). Sorry if that's too much of a me-monster post, but better here in my own thread than to hijack someone else's, right? Plus, it's AVS related, so there you go.

If I did put pics of this somewhere else on HF, I apologize for putting the project up again. I know I've posted it on FB and on IceJerseys, but don't think I've ever put it here.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ok, folks...ex-tex commented on how far a little can-do attitude can get you coupled with a little know how and that made me think of another avs themed project I completed a couple years ago. I've been thinking I'd eventually shoe-horn in a pic or two of this project somewhere, but I never really found the right place or the right time to do it. So, since you've all been so awesome about my showing off the bar, I figure I can use my own thread to show off the zamboni bed I built for my 6 year old son.

Best. Dad. Ever. :bow:

That's it, I decided that I'm drawing up the adoption papers for you to adopt me :laugh: (just kidding)

Seriously, tremendous job with both of these projects.

Do you have any other Avs-themed projects around the house that you wouldn't mind sharing with us?

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
^ Nope. Wad blown. That's all I got for now. Thanks RL, and everyone else for all the props, suggestions and input. Feels good to be (almost) done and get such positive feedback. Next up is the lockers in the hockey theater - and that isn't even on the slate. It exists only in my mind and there's no timetable for it to be started. I'll share whenever it's done, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad