Friedman: Avs interested in Nick Hjalmarsson

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I can see this being Cole (1 yr at 4.25) for Hjalmarsson (1 yr at 5.xx).

It seems like the Coyotes are cash strapped and heading into a rebuild. Any scenario involving a trade for a comparable player and comparable term that’s cheaper seems realistic at this point.
No that would not be something the Coyotes should do.

Reactions: Mosby

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
:laugh: Seriously?! You’re drawing a line in the sand over this? Were you expecting more for Hjalmarsson? That’s hilarious!
What is with the laugh?

As was pointed out to you Hammer is owed less $ than Cole so there is no savings. On top of that Hammer is significantly better than Cole. So yes I am expecting more for Hjalmarsson than Cole.

Reactions: _Del_ and Mosby

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What is with the laugh?

As was pointed out to you Hammer is owed less $ than Cole so there is no savings. On top of that Hammer is significantly better than Cole. So yes I am expecting more for Hjalmarsson than Cole.

Maybe you should read more closely. I later said a late round pick might be going your way with Cole.

Look at what’s happening. Around the league, the supply of players available is probably exceeding the demand. And you’re expecting something of great value for Hjalmarsson, who has one year left?

I’m laughing because it’s hilarious.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
You just aren't good at this, man.

Ha! :laugh:

Why don’t you tell me an example of what you think you should get back? I’m pretty sure that will sort out which of us is being delusional.

Go ahead then and tell us.

I’m ready to laugh some more. :D:popcorn::laugh:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Could be a late round draft pick then. I’m sure the new GM might be interested in draft picks.
A draft pick alone for Hammer? I could see that. A draft pick + Cole doesn’t really make any sense for them though if that’s what you’re suggesting.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Off the top of my head, Vegas in 2017-18 comes to mind. Fleury and Subban both missed nearly a month of games. Fleury himself was gone for nearly two months.

Fleury and Subban combined to start 65 games that season, and started all but 1 game after December 10, so not sure if they really fit the criteria, but, they did lose both their starter and backup for 13 games in October/November and the team somehow still went 7-5-1, despite allowing 43 goals on 369 shots (0.883 SV%).

So, the examples seem to be Ottawa, who needed Hammond to go 20-1-2, and Vegas, in their inaugural season when everything just went their way. Not really scenarios that most teams can replicate, which is pretty much my point. Expecting teams to overcome losing both their starter and backup is extremely unrealistic, and even more so in the playoffs.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
A draft pick alone for Hammer? I could see that. A draft pick + Cole doesn’t really make any sense for them though if that’s what you’re suggesting.

Whats of value to each team? For the Yotes, it’s the draft pick. For the Avs, it’s getting something that can be an upgrade over what they’ve recently had but also doesn’t cripple you for years to come.

But think about the lunacy of youR comment. Do you honestly see the Avs having both? I don’t. The cash impact might be less but it’s still a cap hit of 9.25 million for both. It’s absurd. I can’t see Joe doing that.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Whats of value to each team? For the Yotes, it’s the draft pick. For the Avs, it’s getting something that can be an upgrade over what they’ve recently had but also doesn’t cripple you for years to come.

But think about the lunacy of youR comment. Do you honestly see the Avs having both? I don’t. The cash impact might be less but it’s still a cap hit of 9.25 million for both. It’s absurd. I can’t see Joe doing that.
You seem to be missing the point. Looks like Arizona’s primary goal here is to slash cost.

it makes little to no sense for them to acquire Cole in return. He’s owed more money.
If cole has less salary, it could make sense.
Arizona is probably the LEAST likely team in the league right now who would add salary for a draft pick.

EASILY the least likely.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
You seem to be missing the point. Looks like Arizona’s primary goal here is to slash cost.

it makes little to no sense for them to acquire Cole in return. He’s owed more money.
If cole has less salary, it could make sense.
Arizona is probably the LEAST likely team in the league right now who would add salary for a draft pick.

EASILY the least likely.

The point your missing is a cap hit of 9.25 million to have Cole and Hjalmarsson on your roster. This makes far less sense than the Coyotes trying to accumulate draft picks. It’s not consistent with anything that Joe has done —AT ALL.

Do you honestly believe that Sakic who drew a line in the sand with ROR, Barrie, etc is going to take a 9.25 million dollar cap hit to have Hjalmarsson and Cole?

Its absurd.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hjalmarsson is declining but he still plays a desirable dying breed style and has three rings to show for it. And he's been paid half his money for this year already. Coyotes should do well in terms of a return.

I think the prior discussion of something around Hjalmarsson and Jost makes sense. Jost isn't really a big loss to Colorado but can be an interesting project for Arizona.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hjalmarsson is declining but he still plays a desirable dying breed style and has three rings to show for it. And he's been paid half his money for this year already. Coyotes should do well in terms of a return.

I think the prior discussion of something around Hjalmarsson and Jost makes sense. Jost isn't really a big loss to Colorado but can be an interesting project for Arizona.
Curious about how Avs fans feel about the premise.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

As someone who prefers to plan for 10+ years of contention, rather than going all in for 1-2 years, I'd rather keep Jost. No question that Hjalmarrson is currently better, but he's also 33 and doesn't really fit into a 10 year plan.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

It doesn't seem like Jost is a good fit with the Avs and this would not be horrible. It would mean Colorado would need to make other moves because, as I mentioned, a cap hit for 9.25 for Hjalmarsson and Cole doesn't make sense. Since Cole sees more time on the ice, they're probably of comparable value to the Avs. But if it takes Jost to make this happen, I'm not sure a forward in his early 20s vs a defenseman in his mid 30s requires the draft pick I mentioned earlier though.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Are you really struggling with the idea that Arizona doesn't want Ian Cole back in a trade, and doesn't care if that forces Sakic to move Cole elsewhere if he wants to avoid having them both on the roster?

Are you really struggling with having a cap hit of 9.25 for Hjalmarsson and Cole doesn't make sense? It's not making sense for both sides if Cole and Hjalmarsson are eating up 9.25 of cap space. If it were for Jost straight up, ok. But there would need to be subsequent moves.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
The value of Hjalmarsson is not high. He’s coming off a rough season and on the last year of his expensive contract. Most I’d pay for him is a 4th rounder. If the Yotes retain money then a 3rd, but it appears they are trying to lower their expenses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->