Rumor: Avs Interested in Kulikov?

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Should the title of Dater's article be "Are" and not "Is"?

We've been long rumored to desire grabbing him from Florida.
It honestly depends on what they Panthers are trying to do with him.
Are they giving up on him and trying to send him away? Are they attempting to maximize his trade value as a younger player or will they use him to gain a vet piece that fits their team better?

It could be as little as Wilson or as much as Siemen +. It depends on the goal of the Panthers and also how much the Avs value him.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
So us talking about it for 5 pages on the "in-season proposals" thread wasn't enough? We need a thread as well?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I've watched Florida a couple games and each time i wasn't impressed by his play . Maybe i need to watch more games , idk , but not a single time i went : wow he's the real deal .

Now , if in fact we really want him , I hope the Avs wont give up Heaven and earth to acquire him . I mean with the KHL rumours regarding Kulokov , it's clear that the Avs would have the upper hand in nogociations with Florida and THEY MUST take advantage of this reality .

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kulikov is a toolsy player. Has all the talent needed to be an excellent defensemen, but has yet to show he has the toolbox. He makes far too many mental mistakes for my taste. Maybe Roy thinks that his system, would help him make better decisions?

In reality, it would be a really risky trade to get him, but one that could pay off. If it only cost McGinn or Wilson with a small + it would probably be worth it. If they wanted a 1st, I would stay away.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Kulikov is a toolsy player. Has all the talent needed to be an excellent defensemen, but has yet to show he has the toolbox. He makes far too many mental mistakes for my taste. Maybe Roy thinks that his system, would help him make better decisions?

In reality, it would be a really risky trade to get him, but one that could pay off. If it only cost McGinn or Wilson with a small + it would probably be worth it. If they wanted a 1st, I would stay away.

Or that he can minimize the decisions. Make safe easy plays. Like Sarich, Guenin, Benoit, Hejda.

I'm more worried about health with Kulikov. He plays a hard game and has been a little injury prone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Or that he can minimize the decisions. Make safe easy plays. Like Sarich, Guenin, Benoit, Hejda.

I'm more worried about health with Kulikov. He plays a hard game and has been a little injury prone.

Just make him do yoga with ROR. :laugh:

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

These are the exact same things I would have said about EJ throughout most of his career before this year. Maybe Roy thinks he can turn Kulikov around similarly?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
These are the exact same things I would have said about EJ throughout most of his career before this year. Maybe Roy thinks he can turn Kulikov around similarly?

Absolutely, Kulikov has been playing in terrible systems with inept coaching staffs. There is a reason why Florida has been in the bottom for so long only to lose their players who become big pieces in other markets.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Reminds me of Shawn Belle

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Absolutely, Kulikov has been playing in terrible systems with inept coaching staffs. There is a reason why Florida has been in the bottom for so long only to lose their players who become big pieces in other markets.

Florida has developed some good players, just not enough of them. I think the failure is a lot more on their drafting than their development.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach

Bouwmeester is the only one that I can think of that went on to be a big piece, and even that was debatable until this season. Jokinen declined severely, Horton was never really all that great anywhere, Weiss looks like a worse signing than Clarkson.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Exactly.

With what Roy has done with EJ and Hejda this year, I think Kulikov would really turn his game around under Roy as a coach.

After all, he is still pretty damn young and has a lot of potential. He could certainly still develop into a solid #2 Dman for us.

Kulikov - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Sarich - Benoit
Guenin

That looks like a respectable Defense IMO. Replace Sarich and Benoit with Bigras and Elliott/Siemens next year.

As long as our 1st isn't involved, I'm all for acquiring him. McGinn + Wilson would be fine by me.

Then, we could use our 1st + to get a good Top 6 PWF winger as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
correct me if im wrong but didn't Roy use to see Kulikov play when he was with Drummondville? He did play in the Quebec major Junior

Both him and Tourigny had to be well aware of him. He had an outstanding season his one year in the Q.

He put up 62 points in 57 games, and then followed that up with 20 points in 19 playoff games winning the QMJHL title, and then losing in the semi final of the memorial cup. Patrick would have faced his team in the Q finals, but Quebec lost to Shawinigan.

He also won Defenseman of the Year, Best Pro Prospect, Rookie of the Year, Defensive Rookie of the Year, and was the lone defenseman on the first All Star team in the Q after the season.

They basically saw him at the peak of his career so far.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Bouwmeester is the only one that I can think of that went on to be a big piece, and even that was debatable until this season. Jokinen declined severely, Horton was never really all that great anywhere, Weiss looks like a worse signing than Clarkson.

Garrison was another huge mismanage, Jovo had some solid years after leaving, both Campbell and Horton were nice additions to that bruins team. Frolik was loved on the hawks. Not many bonified stars but all solid pieces that helped other teams be successful. They also ruined a lot of prospects, like Dadanov, Ellerby, now are having trouble developing Markstrom.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Garrison was another huge mismanage, Jovo had some solid years after leaving, both Campbell and Horton were nice additions to that bruins team. Frolik was loved on the hawks. Not many bonified stars but all solid pieces that helped other teams be successful. They also ruined a lot of prospects, like Dadanov, Ellerby, now are having trouble developing Markstrom.

Lets not forget about Luongo.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd do McGinn and Wilson and a mid round pick for Kulikov and Scottie Upshall.

We's need to add more to get Upshall. I know he's overpaid but he's their leading scorer right now and they are pretty much at the cap floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad