Post-Game Talk: Avs hockey: 10 minutes of actual work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I was at the game tonight, and I was disgusted at the lack of effort the avs played with in the first 40 minutes. Then they suddenly start to show up when down 3-0 with only 20 minutes left? Unacceptable. Sacco just loves to juggle lines for the sake of juggling lines it seems. A few notes from watching these guys, my own opinion of course:

- Erik Johnson plays such a great brand of hockey, very under-rated player, just needs to find consistency in his game, and a better partner than Ryan Wilson, who's clearly not a top 4 defenseman

- Shane O'Brien and Ryan O'Byrne are useless. Shane O'Brien just sucks, and O'Byrne is horrifyingly (that a word? lol) slow, its unbearable to watch him play

- Matt Hunwick and Greg Zanon actually didn't play all that bad tonight, and Hunwick especially is very good at transitioning the puck in the neutral zone, something that only Erik Johnson seems to do

- David Jones is without a shadow of a doubt the worst forward in the top 9, and possibly all forwards when this team is healthy. Landeskog, O'Reilly, Downie, Hejduk, Duchene, Parenteau, McGinn, Stastny, Mitchell, and McLeod are all players I would take over David Jones right now, although Stastny is trying to take that privelage away from him

- Speaking of Stastny, he's only useful down low behind the net, other than that, he is so slow skating, and can't generate anything off of the rush. Shockingly, David Jones is even slower

- Jamie Mcginn has one of the best, if not the best shot on this team. Need to get him the puck more, there's a reason he scored so much at the end of last season; Stastny got him the puck where he could fire. This season? Not happening so much. I love how he plays, he's fast and hits everything, not afraid to go into the corners and has a laser for a shot. Very underrated on this team

- Chuck Kobasew sucks

- Matt Duchene tried his best to bring the team back in the 3rd tonight, and it was obvious he and Parenteau weren't going to get anything going with Olver on the wing, glad the change was made quickly to put McGinn there although it came at the expense of having to put Mitchell on Stastny's line

That is all from me, I was excited during the 3rd but you gotta play 60 to win, not 20

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Just got in from that crap show of a "hockey game". I don't know what was worse: the first two periods of that game or the 10 min walk back to the car in the -36 wind. I wasn't expecting a win going into the game, but still. Atleast my tickets were free.

Game Summary

- First period was a total crap shoot. Didn't skate, couldn't complete a pass, icing/off-sides galore on both sides. Both dman collapsed to the slot on the first PP goal and then both collapsed to the net, letting Eberle walk right in for the 2nd. I know it was a PP, but they have to realize who's got the puck there and stand them up.

- Second period was much of the same. Bad break on the 3rd goal.

- Third period they decided to show up. First time in a few periods they actually had sustained pressure and cycled it down low a couple times, and eventually led to Pap's goal. How that wasn't a hit from behind on PAP is beyond me, esspecially with how fussy they called the rest of the game. PAP sure let the ref have an ear full on the next face-off.

- Our PK is total crap. When you're missing all 4 forwards from last year, what do you expect. And the PP is just as bad, with Duchene on the point, who you know isn't going to shoot it from the blueline, I mean even Horcoff knows that.

Player Notes

Forwards

- Duchene needs to be put on the wing. He sucks at face-offs, he's too small/weak to play downlow in our zone, and his speed would benefit more skating down the wing (Kessel-esk dare I say).

- God knows how Stastny ever got that contract. Not only does his defensive play suck, but he's not even creating scoring chances. I'd trade him for Grabovski in a heartbeat.

- Jones is equally as bad. No shoot and can't skate, except into our own players.

- I think PAP will be okay for us. He can skate and has vision.

- Mitchell, Bordeleau and Malone played well I thought. Solid 3-4 liners. Everybody else was meh. McGinn just can't catch a break it seems, but at 1.75 mill, its easily tolerable.

Defense

- I cannot believe how terrible O'Brien and O'Byrne are. I so wanted the Avs to re-sign ROB this off-season, now .. :help:

- Wilson made a couple nice plays, but then ices it, like comon man

- I thought Hunwick played great. One of the few Avs who can actually skate with the puck instead of just dumping it in.

- Zanon was okay. Didn't do anything special, but didn't do anything attrocious.

- Johnson was invisible the first two periods, but oh man did he play awesome in that 3rd period. I've always had my doubts about him, but if he can play like that 3rd period more often, he's truly a #1 dman.

Goalies

- Varlamov played good. Can't really fault him on any of the 3 goals. As long as he stays in the net though. If he wants to play the puck more, he's got to be more decisive and communicate with the dman. It almost cost him a couple times.

- Giguere, class act. I hope he's around for a few more years. Good teacher, always talking up the guys and fans. Signed a goalie stick for a kid wearing his jersey during pre-game warm-ups.

Re-match Sat. Feb. 16 ... Can't get any worse, can it? ...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Gaunce is a defensive defenseman. We already have too many.

Not completely true. He has puck moving ability even if he won't put up pts. I guarantee it's better than O'Brien and co's.

And it doesn't matter what type of dman he is as long as he does his job better than the current group of Johnson & 5 defensive dmen we have.

The whole reason that isn't happening though is because they signed Zanon and O'Brien and Hunwick during the summer when they should've gone with one signing.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Casper Stastny is playing like he doesnt want to be an Avalanche. Im tired of this guy doing crap all. Metal Mcginn gets moved off his line and gets a point almost right away. Stastny cant make a pass ever. Man was our PP and PK horribad tonight. SOB, Hunwick, Zanon, ROB and Wilson were all crap tonight. I feel really sorry for Erik Johnson he deserve a compotent partner but he wont get one ever here. Seriously do something about this ROR thing trade him, sign him but do something ffs. The Oilers never made it look more easy tonight they had free passes into the Avs zone uncontested almost always. Sacco has no game plan stop pretending he does and stop pretending hes gonna get better. Hes not. He sucks and hes always sucked.

member 116861

Not completely true. He has puck moving ability even if he won't put up pts. I guarantee it's better than O'Brien and co's.

And it doesn't matter what type of dman he is as long as he does his job better than the current group of Johnson & 5 defensive dmen we have.

The whole reason that isn't happening though is because they signed Zanon and O'Brien and Hunwick during the summer when they should've gone with one signing.

I disagree, his puck moving ability is pretty poor.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Another thing. This team is in dire need of a legit PMD. Our transition from defense to offense is non existent nothing looks fluid. Also, how many times do our players run into each other every game? Freakin stooges a disgrace tonight. People who showed up. Duchene, Varlamov and Johnson everyone should be castrated and a few were playing like they were already castrated.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
Jones might be my vote for most disappointing thus far. The defense isn't disappointing... would've had to expect something.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This could change quickly, it's not too late yet.

Hopefully Landeskog is back soon playing up to his potential.

The team need O'Reilly more than ever, please sign him or trade him, the situation is bad and hurting the team.

They should give Sgarbossa some icetime. Sometimes it's difficult to predict a young players capacity, perhaps he will step up to the challenge.

On the bright side Duchene looks much better than last season, finally.

I hope the team will have a couple of team meetings, it's not too late yet but something need too happen. The most important thing right now is to make sure everybody plays with a "give it all" team mentality.

Loosing to the Oilers is not that bad having so much talent, they are better this season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This could change quickly, it's not too late yet.

Hopefully Landeskog is back soon playing up to his potential.

The team need O'Reilly more than ever, please sign him or trade him, the situation is bad and hurting the team.

They should give Sgarbossa some icetime. Sometimes it's difficult to predict a young players capacity, perhaps he will step up to the challenge.

On the bright side Duchene looks much better than last season, finally.

I hope the team will have a couple of team meetings, it's not too late yet but something need too happen. The most important thing right now is to make sure everybody plays with a "give it all" team mentality.

Loosing to the Oilers is not that bad having so much talent, they are better this season.

loosing is one thing but when the compete level isn't there it bugs the crap outta me

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
loosing is one thing but when the compete level isn't there it bugs the crap outta me

Yes, it's extremely upsetting.

It's essential they start competing and implement a "give it all for the team" mentality, now. The season is not over yet so it shouldn't be too hard finding some motivation. This is why we have team coaches and sport psychologists. Or bring in a couple of the ex Avalanche legendary players to have a team speach or two (many to choose between).

It's a tough situation though with Downie out for the season, head/neck/leg injury to an extremely young team Captain and for me the team MVP of last season in nasty contract negotiations, O'Reilly.

The team should be able to win games without them though.

My patience for O'Reilly is very, very close to an end, that's for sure. Now it's time to be a man and prove your value, feel some team loyalty damnit, the team need you, now.

I don't expect them to win vs the Canucks but I want to them to compete and give it all.

I feel the Canucks are on a rise and it's only a matter of time before they start clicking for real.

Last edited:

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Where's Brick AHL? I think he was the one arguing for David Jones the other day. I wanna know what he thinks now.

David Jones is by far our most useless player. He needs to be traded or demoted or SOMETHING. He's a waste of a space on Stastny's line and I'm afraid to say I think he's dragging Stastny down with him.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I only listened to the first period while laying in bed waiting for sleep to come, but that was enough. I just lay there saying, "Oh for crying out loud" until the first intermission arrived to save me.

Simply put, the Avs need to play with more discipline. They had this same issue last season with their penalty-taking.

Postie McGinn is just cursed. It's not the first time it's been seen in Denver:
killeruprights.gif

As an aside, Marc Moser has improved from his early bumblings, but now his problem is that he just crams all the words he can into a broadcast. It's a little impressive - his delivery is quick and he throws a ton of information out, but it also serves to make everything a jumbled mess. I'm just not sure he has a distinctive enough voice to really get away with it. It is just missing a clipped or concise element that helps to build a rhythm.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Where's Brick AHL? I think he was the one arguing for David Jones the other day. I wanna know what he thinks now.

David Jones is by far our most useless player. He needs to be traded or demoted or SOMETHING. He's a waste of a space on Stastny's line and I'm afraid to say I think he's dragging Stastny down with him.

I was never happy to see Jones signed for 4 years and 4 million per season. I think we overpaid a bit. Jones isn't worth 4 million.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Jones was great the first few games of the season, cut him some slack guys. The entire team played terrible last night, not just him. We're missing our entire first line from last season, what do you expect to happen?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Jones was great the first few games of the season, cut him some slack guys. The entire team played terrible last night, not just him. We're missing our entire first line from last season, what do you expect to happen?

We sucked vs Sharks as well. At least after Landeskog went down. Not to mention we played vs Edmonton, which is one of the teams we should be able to challenge.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
What were the lines yesterday?

I wasn't able to see the game, but I saw that Hejda and Barrie were the scratches in defense.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What were the lines yesterday?

I wasn't able to see the game, but I saw that Hejda and Barrie were the scratches in defense.

McGinn - Staz - Jones
Olver - Duchy - PAP
Kobasew - Mitchell - Hejduk
Bordsy - Malone - McLeod

Wilson - EJ
SOB - ROB
Hunwick - Zanon

It changed in the second to shifting McGinn onto Duchy's line and forget the rest cause I got drowsy and fell asleep.

We were flat out terrible on the PK though. 5 on 5 we were at least acceptable, just very sloppy. If anyone ever says Mitchell is good on the PK they should be slapped. Hunwick cost us the first goal by taking the body instead of clearing the crease. SOB was playing so bad I almost wish we still had Shaggy on the team.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I watched the game but didn't notice, how the hell does Sacco explain putting in SOB over Hejda?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I won the contest of guessing the penalties...so I have to choose Shermanator's avy for a week.

I don't have a place to upload a resized pic to (I know there are free sites, but still...).

So, could someone resize this for him to use?

aa_225.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad