Post-Game Talk: Avs hockey: 10 minutes of actual work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
So is the EJ we saw in the third period the EJ we would see with a better defence partner? It was like he said, "**** it. Who cares if we get scored on I'm tired of sitting back." I wish this guy would show up more, but I doubt he will if he feels like he has to be the responsible one all the time.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So is the EJ we saw in the third period the EJ we would see with a better defence partner? It was like he said, "**** it. Who cares if we get scored on I'm tired of sitting back." I wish this guy would show up more, but I doubt he will if he feels like he has to be the responsible one all the time.

He was the most consistent Dman last night ( most nights) I had no issue with EJ last night. One thing though we need to stop pretending hes this great PP QB. Hes not. If he had a good not even great partner his game would explode I dont doubt this one bit. A veteran mentor would help him immensly but since we avoid veteran help like the plague I dont see that ever happening.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Stastny has played better than PAP. Yeah PAP has 3 goals but the guy struggles to make a pass.

Hahaha its -45 right now in Edmonton I needed a good laugh to start my day. PAP can make a pass, he can score. Casper however cant do anything. Cant win a draw, cant make a legit pass, cant accept a pass, cant create any offense whatsoever. If u put Shawn Horcoffs jersey on Casper last night you wouldnt be able to tell them apart.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Forwards

- Duchene needs to be put on the wing. He sucks at face-offs, he's too small/weak to play downlow in our zone, and his speed would benefit more skating down the wing (Kessel-esk dare I say).

I hope this is a joke? Duchene has sucked as winger everytime he's played there. He's defense has been fine, actually it's been solid, the best out of the 3 centreman. As for the faceofff it''s still early, he's been alright in years past, that won't be enough to justify putting him as a winger when clearly it does not work.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

Agree with this. EJ needs to insert himself into these games more often. I remember the San Jose game last year, it was by far the best game he has played as an AV. Every time he was on the ice you noticed him. He rushed the puck and was extremely physical on the Sharks. That is what he needs to do more often. He isn't going to be an offensive juggernaut, so he needs to be a ***** to play against.

We need angry EJ. Get Foote to show him how it is done.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Agree with this. EJ needs to insert himself into these games more often. I remember the San Jose game last year, it was by far the best game he has played as an AV. Every time he was on the ice you noticed him. He rushed the puck and was extremely physical on the Sharks. That is what he needs to do more often. He isn't going to be an offensive juggernaut, so he needs to be a ***** to play against.

We need angry EJ. Get Foote to show him how it is done.

So... how about we put ROB next to him then? He's the only guy I trust in the defensive end, especially after he cleaned up SOB's mess all night. Right-handed be damned, let's see if that can happen.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Watching the replay on Altitude right now. They went with some odd line combos in the 3rd. It looks like they are double shifting Staz and Duchene. Saw McGinn, Duchene and Hejduk. Followed by Parenteau, Staz and McLeod. Then Jones, Staz and Mitchell and Duchene, Parenteau and Olver.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Agree that it is time to break up the RoB and Hejda show. Can't remember how and if Hejda and EJ played together, but its time to juggle the pairings.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
I won the contest of guessing the penalties...so I have to choose Shermanator's avy for a week.

I don't have a place to upload a resized pic to (I know there are free sites, but still...).

So, could someone resize this for him to use?

aa_225.jpg

:naughty:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Didn't watch the 3rd, but we must have been all over them to outshoot them by 12 after being outshot 14-3 in the first.

That's the problem though, this team just doesn't seem to give a damn until its 2 late always.

Glad to see Duchene get another point, and PAP is scoring goals right now, if he can start finding Duchene with his passes those two could go on a tear. The one play I watched from the 3rd last night was a great feed by Pap to Duchene that lead to a really good one timer from Duchene and a great save from Dubynek, if they can build some chemistry they'll be a damn good duo.

Stastny was terrible last night. I still think some of your are being a little to harsh on him right now, though its understandable after our last 2 games. But if the guy had any bit of luck he would have 5-7 points right now and they'd all be primary assists.

McGinn might be the most unlucky Avs player on the ice right now. He could EASILY be at a Goal per game right now, he's just getting so unlucky. Cant wait to see his celly after his first goal this year. He's gotta be getting a little frusturated right now.

Erik Johnson is playing really good. He's been the only Dman consistently playing well for us all season. +3 through 5 games Averaging 22 Mins a game with 14 Blocked shots(Tied for 8th among Dmen). One this Im not all that impressed with regarding EJ is his Hits. For a guy of his size he should have more hit the Matt Hunwick. He needs to be more physical and punishing. As others have said he needs to get angry in game.

Shane Obrien is bad, really bad. We need to move him quickly.

Hunwick had a good game, he shouldn't be playing 20+ mins a night, but he was decent last night.

Thought Zanon was really bad last night as well. Not Obrien bad but he wasn't good.

Basically this team is being carried on its bad by EJ, Duchene, Varly, and Mitchell. Everyone else is either way to inconsistent(Jones), Unlucky(McGinn) or just not good enough in general. Landeskog and Oreilly need to come back asap.

Without Landy and Oreilly this team is easily a bottom 5 team in the league. With Landy and Oreilly were more like a Top 14-20 team.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Been watching some of the third and it's funny how we can actually play decently at even strength. The fact the refs missed three penalties on the Oilers in the first ten alone is sad.

The goal was weak, the kind of stuff we need more of. Sure would be nice if this team knew proper positioning and how to cycle off the boards.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Been watching some of the third and it's funny how we can actually play decently at even strength. The fact the refs missed three penalties on the Oilers in the first ten alone is sad.

The goal was weak, the kind of stuff we need more of. Sure would be nice if this team knew proper positioning and how to cycle off the boards.

Our 5 on 5 GF/GA Ratio is 4th in the league at 2.25 behind only MTL OTT and SJ. Our PP is absolutely horrible. And our PK is non existent.

Think the Avs should try to get 2 rule changes for the team:

Rule 1) We should be allowed to decline PP's. Keep the game 5 on 5. Maybe give us an offensive zone faceoff start as the punishment for the penalty. Cause clearly we aren't scoring on our PP's.

Rule 2) Instead of actually having to go through the process of playing the PK and being scored on. We should be given the option to just give the other team a goal. Would save 2 mins of PK time that would just result in a goal anyways, and gives us more time to try and score 5 on 5 before the next penalty.

I think we'd have a better shot at winning if these 2 rules were in place for the Avs.

member 116861

I'm making the GDT for tomorrow. Do you guys have any idea what our lineup will look like tomorrow?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Oil fan coming in peace.

Man, I wish some of our Avy bets ended up like this one.

Just look what I got stuck with for a month after the WJC loss against the States.
Anyways, kinda sucks not having your entire 1st line playing, doesn't it?

Good luck against the Nucks tomorrow. You'll do well if you play the whole game like you did the 3rd period against us.

And what in hell happened to Stastny? I didn't even think he played against the Oil till someone mentioned that he did. He's usually a beast against the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->