Speculation: Avs' Goaltending

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Avs will either take a UFA-to-be goalie in a trade as a throw-in or we just run Martin/Smith behind Pickard for the rest of the season. I'd like to see the Avs go with a Martin/Pickard tandem just to let Martin get a taste of the NHL game before becoming the starter in the AHL next season. In other words the Avs will not expend positive assets on bringing in a goalie.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I see that Varlamov is out for the rest of the season (Link below).

There is still a lot of hockey to play, even for a team in last place.

What are the Avs' options? Do they trade for someone - perhaps with an expiring contract? Do they claim someone off waivers? Do they call someone up?

Just wondering...

Link: https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/semyon-varlamov-out-for-rest-of-season/c-286127434

Avs can see what they have with Pickard.

We are 24 points out of a playoff spot right now. Don't think this is really a pressing issue right now:laugh:

I could see them take on a goalie on an expiring contract in return for a rental if that team wants to shed that salary but aside from that I don't see it.

Hopefully this will finally fix Varlys groin issue. If it is a success the Avs should be fine in goal next season with Varly / Pickard. I doubt that Vegas has much interest in him so he should be in Denver next season as well...

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
With a compacted schedule this season wouldn't they still need someone to play several games to keep Pickard from burning out?

We have a very promising goalie prospect in the AHL in Martin.

He is too young to handle a bigger workload but a few games here and there should be fine.

I expect them to call up the AHL vet in Jimmy Smith to simply be the regular backup to Pickard and call up Martin to start 5-10 games to give him some experience.

This team is already epically bad. Doesn't really matter if goaltending costs us an extra game or two....

Maybe they sign a backup off the streets or claim one off waivers if they want to keep Martin in the AHL..

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I see that Varlamov is out for the rest of the season (Link below).

There is still a lot of hockey to play, even for a team in last place.

What are the Avs' options? Do they trade for someone - perhaps with an expiring contract? Do they claim someone off waivers? Do they call someone up?

Just wondering...

Link: https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/semyon-varlamov-out-for-rest-of-season/c-286127434

Avs have nothing to compete for and will almost surely run with Pickard/Martin the rest of the way. Varly has needed the surgery for a while and this is just good timings.

The only moves they will realistically make will be selling off rentals at the TDL and if a team meets the incredibly high asking price for a core player than we could see them moved.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If they trade Duchene and/or Landeskog they'll probably get a goalie in the deal.

Whether they get a G in the deal or not is pretty irrelevant as Varly/picks are still signed and Martin is an AHL all star. None of them are going anywhere and I dont see Vegas taking Varly.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Obviously we will be trading meaningful assets that may actually be important, for a new goaltender to help us suck less since that isn't important.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
If they trade Duchene and/or Landeskog they'll probably get a goalie in the deal.

Yes. I have it on good authority that a goalie will be the main piece coming back in a trade for our most lucrative assets. This is for sure.

There are dozens if not hundreds of proposals for one of Dutch or the viking, and if there is one parallel in all of them, it's Avs fans adamant inclusion of a goalie.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Pickard / Martin

or

Pickard / waiver wire goalie

Perfect situation for a tanking team. Pickard could blossom into a legit goalie. The potential is there.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Budaj can come home once Quick is healthy

no for two reasons
1) There is no guarantee quick will not require surgery once he returns. He has been out rehabbing since day one and has not had surgery yet
2) Quick is not due back till after trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad