Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Flames | 1/31/2013 | 7:00 MT | We won !!!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
IMO if ROR signs...we should trade Stazz for a top Dman...package Hunwick and SOB with him to make the return better.

Duchene 1st C
ROR 2nd C
Mitchel 3rd C

I think packaging another $3.6m of crappy defensemen along with $6.6m Stastny means we'd get LESS back than Stastny alone. That's over $10m in cap space for somebody to take on. Even if a big ticket came back, still a big chunk of change.

I don't think Stastny would get moved until draft day or something like that. The organization will just ride this season out.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Also, yeah... I will agree with the folks who said we shouldn't take too much out of this game. Nice little offensive burst, but this was the Calgary Flames; arguably the worst assembled roster in the league. Not from strictly a talent perspective, but it's just a mix and match of players. No defined style, no defined method, they're just kind of... there. I would hate being a Flames fan, fed this garbage every year and told we're going to be a playoff team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No Cody Mac? Guy has been playing pretty well to start the season, he's evolved throughout his career from a fighter to a very solid 4th line depth player, and he was outstanding tonight alongside Mitchell and Kobasew. If Landy is back I'd do:

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Hejduk
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew
Sgarbossa-Olver-Bordeleau

Sit Jones for a game or two, send a message that only 1 goal and a -8 rating to start the season is not acceptable

Eh, Body's looked better than Highlander so far this year, and despite Jones' struggles the past few games he's still been better than Highlander, the first few games he was one of our better players and really looked to have his burst back. Then he started hitting the bottle again with Downie and SOB after they got hurt and benched again respectively.

Huis Clos*

Hunwick was the one with the bad pass that led to the goal... Johnson had a bad pass that also led to a breakaway a couple of minutes later.

One think i don't understand is that Johnson is suposed to be our best D, our #1, and IMO has been our best D, but why doesn't he get any PK time?

edit: Also, other team's top Dmen play around 25 minutes, our #1 guy gets less ice time than Hunwick! Go figure!

Totally mystifying. Sacco logic.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
If we trade Staz who is realistically going to be willing to trade a top D man for him. He's got a huge contract that he hasn't been wroth for a few years now. If someone is going to trade a D man for him than its going to be a player which has struggled similar to the way Staz has. This could come with some risks but I know sometimes players just need a change of scenery. I really think Sacco has deterred Stastny from being they player he has/had the potential to be.

Either way I don't think ROR is coming back to Colorado and unless we draft MacKinnon we need Stastny in our lineup.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If we trade Staz who is realistically going to be willing to trade a top D man for him. He's got a huge contract that he hasn't been wroth for a few years now. If someone is going to trade a D man for him than its going to be a player which has struggled similar to the way Staz has. This could come with some risks but I know sometimes players just need a change of scenery. I really think Sacco has deterred Stastny from being they player he has/had the potential to be.

Either way I don't think ROR is coming back to Colorado and unless we draft MacKinnon we need Stastny in our lineup.

Somebody trading for Stastny is going to have to send some salary back, and they will have to be a team desperate for centers. The absolute best case (read never happen) would be Stastny (with $1m retained salary) + for Yandle. A swaps around Phaneuf, Wisneiewski, Green, etc could possibly find a way to work. Basically overpaid guys on teams that need to make a hockey trade.

A ROR trade gives lots of flexibility because of his RFA status, age, and what his contract size will be. He has more value than Stastny ATM.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I have no doubt Jones will end up with around 10 goals 15-20 points this year. He's just very rusty and not all that skilled to start with. But right now he's a complete waste of ice time. Plays just die around him all the time.

With the way Olver is playing, he would be much more deserving of playing with Stastny. Same with Hejduk, even though he isn't playing fantastic hockey either.

I know people want to trade O'Reilly because of the whole mess but this road trip have told me that we need both him and Landeskog desperately. Their hard work, defense and puck possession does so much for this team. They set the tone and make us so much harder to play against. We'll have to find defensive solutions elsewhere.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I know people want to trade O'Reilly because of the whole mess but this road trip have told me that we need both him and Landeskog desperately. Their hard work, defense and puck possession does so much for this team. They set the tone and make us so much harder to play against. We'll have to find defensive solutions elsewhere.

Yeah, this.

We're not a great team as it is, but remove arguably the toughest, most gruelling line to play against in our conference... Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie... and we become very, very easy to shut down.

The lack of puck pursuit, forechecking, cycling with possession, crashing the net, etc. is just piss poor on the rest of our lines. We miss our #1 line tremendously, but then again, what team wouldn't? Tough times.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have no doubt Jones will end up with around 10 goals 15-20 points this year. He's just very rusty and not all that skilled to start with. But right now he's a complete waste of ice time. Plays just die around him all the time.

With the way Olver is playing, he would be much more deserving of playing with Stastny. Same with Hejduk, even though he isn't playing fantastic hockey either.

Agreed. One of the biggest issues with our lines is that we have very few players that are the puck possession type. The whole McGinn-Duchene-PAP line is much better on the rush (well maybe not PAP totally), they are simply not that great in the offensive zone overall, not terrible but not great. The _____-Stastny-Jones line should be better than it is right now when it comes to puck possesion, but Jones has been an offensive blackhole so far, and Stastny hasn't been much better on that side of the puck. Olver-Mitchell-Hejduk is better than the second line at this, but that is only because Mitchell is pretty good with the puck (can't pass worth a lick though). It isn't even worth mentioning the 4th line.

This team needs a line like the Landeskog-ROR-Downie line again to sustain some pressure. If ROR could ever be signed I would like to see a Mitchell-ROR-Landeskog line.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Agreed. One of the biggest issues with our lines is that we have very few players that are the puck possession type. The whole McGinn-Duchene-PAP line is much better on the rush (well maybe not PAP totally), they are simply not that great in the offensive zone overall, not terrible but not great. The _____-Stastny-Jones line should be better than it is right now when it comes to puck possesion, but Jones has been an offensive blackhole so far, and Stastny hasn't been much better on that side of the puck. Olver-Mitchell-Hejduk is better than the second line at this, but that is only because Mitchell is pretty good with the puck (can't pass worth a lick though). It isn't even worth mentioning the 4th line.

This team needs a line like the Landeskog-ROR-Downie line again to sustain some pressure. If ROR could ever be signed I would like to see a Mitchell-ROR-Landeskog line.

I wasn't impressed with Mitchell on the Wing the other night, but I'd love to give this line a try.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mitchell is a center and the best faceoff guy on the team. Moving him to the wing doesn't make sense.

Having Duchene, ROR, or Stastny play wing doesn't make sense. Mitchell is the worst center of the 3, so it is either 4th line duties or put him on a wing. Also, Mitchell isn't the best faceoff guy on the team. Assuming ROR is signed it goes: Stastny -> ROR -> Mitchell -> Duchene. Historically Mitchell is around a 51% sort of guy. Stastny is a 53-54% ROR is 52%

The biggest problem with Mitchell's offensive game (and it always has been) is that if the puck isn't on his stick he is pretty much useless. Which is why he seems to always work better as a center, because he is relied upon to carry the puck more. I could see him working well on a ROR-Landeskog line because they are both good at keeping the puck and finding open players. Also, both are willing to go to the dirty areas to get goals (ie clean up Mitchell's rebounds).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What I miss most about McClement (and I don't think Avs screwed up with him, he just wanted to play for Toronto) is that the guy could play 90 seconds on a PK and be effective. The guy is a boss on the PK.

That said, the PK was good last night.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
What I miss most about McClement (and I don't think Avs screwed up with him, he just wanted to play for Toronto) is that the guy could play 90 seconds on a PK and be effective. The guy is a boss on the PK.

That said, the PK was good last night.

Yup. And it seemed like Winnik often got short-handed shots on the PK.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You are correct, that first goal was due to a decision and turnover by Hunwick, who was rewarded after that mistake with more ice time.

Not only more ice time but more then any other Dman. Sacco wanted to make the guys accountable when they made a mistake or like he would say, "We will go with thte guys that give us the bet chance to win" tell me then how you justify playing Hunwick as much as you do? I just finished rewatching the game and literally every time Hunwick was out there the Flames had a prime scoring opportunity EVERYTIME. We are very fortunate that the Flamers couldnt capitalize on the 15 or so great chances they had. Hunwick was by far our worse dman followed by ROB and then Zanon. Hejda had a pretty solid game.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Hunwick was by far our worse dman followed by ROB and then Zanon. Hejda had a pretty solid game.

Yesterday the defence was Hejda=Johnson>Wilson>>Zanon>Hunwick>>>O'Byrne for me.

O'Byrne was so horrible it is hard to put it into words.

You could immediately see an improvement in Hejda's play when he didn't have to play with O'Byrne.

I think we should try to put forward a D-line of: (Handedness not taken into account)

Johnson-Wilson
Hejda-Barrie
Zanon-Elliott
Hunwick, O'Brien

This would at least be an attempt to generate more offense and mobility from the back-end and despite Elliott being quite bad in the D-zone he can't be much worse than Hunwick or O'Byrne (based on previous game)

I really hope the FO won't re-sign O'Byrne. He can be good some nights, but his lack of pace, hands and toughness is a really bad combo.
Hejda at least has some toughness and some hands. O'Brien has some toughness and can somehow play the puck up the ice (haven't seen him this year so can't say if he has been as bad as you guys say) and Hunwick..... well he has a contract for next year.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yesterday the defence was Hejda=Johnson>Wilson>>Zanon>Hunwick>>>O'Byrne for me.

O'Byrne was so horrible it is hard to put it into words.

You could immediately see an improvement in Hejda's play when he didn't have to play with O'Byrne.

I think we should try to put forward a D-line of: (Handedness not taken into account)

Johnson-Wilson
Hejda-Barrie
Zanon-Elliott
Hunwick, O'Brien

This would at least be an attempt to generate more offense and mobility from the back-end and despite Elliott being quite bad in the D-zone he can't be much worse than Hunwick or O'Byrne (based on previous game)

I really hope the FO won't re-sign O'Byrne. He can be good some nights, but his lack of pace, hands and toughness is a really bad combo.
Hejda at least has some toughness and some hands. O'Brien has some toughness and can somehow play the puck up the ice (haven't seen him this year so can't say if he has been as bad as you guys say) and Hunwick..... well he has a contract for next year.

at this point I dont see Elliott being any worse then Hunwick or ROB. The hell happened to ROB anyways he wasnt this crappy last season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kipper is done for, he has looked terrible all season. Not even close to the same player he was. It was bound to happen at some point. Calgary should have traded him at the last deadline, now they won't get anything for him and he will retire soon.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
at this point I dont see Elliott being any worse then Hunwick or ROB. The hell happened to ROB anyways he wasnt this crappy last season.

Not playing competitive games in what...nine months? There's going to be a lot of rust to shake out. At least he's still not dropping his stick all over the place. ;)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Like I said after the Vancouver loss, we are just not as bad as we played the past 3 games.

Giggy with a sold effort, not great but made timely saves, Varly has to be wondering why the hell we can't score any goals when he is net.

Stastny wasn't that great, looked terrible on the Tanguay goal, but it was nice to see him get some goals, maybe he just needed a confidence boost, hopefully this will propel him to playing better hockey.

Jonny "Malkin" has a wicked shot if he gets room to fire its going to be a tough save for any goalie. I'm really liking this pickup, especially because its making O'Reilly look even stupider for holding out as Mitchell is doing everything O'Reilly does at a level O'Reilly was doing last year.

Duchene another solid effort, absolutely love the penalty he drew to get us the late PP, his speed made the other team drag him down. I'm loving the effort he has brought all year.

PAP is scoring goals, I feel like he hasn't played all that great but he is lighting the lamp so I can't really complain.

Jones is just miserable. He needs to be moved to the 4th line. sacco put Duchene down their last year and Jones has been way worse than Duchene ever was last year. Move Sgarbossa up to the Stastny line. Jones needs a wake up call, he has been the worst forward and that includes Borderleau.

McGinn had a better game a couple of assists, maybe he is starting to shake off the rust as well.

Zanon is pretty miserable, not sure why he hasn't been benched yet in the revolving door defense yet. He is so slow, he just looks stuck in slow motion all the time.

I sure hope you aren't serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad