Avs easily have the worst mental game in the NHL

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I've been pretty underwhelmed with Duchene. Perimeter player with high skill and low IQ.

Lol....11pts in 12 games on a team that can't score isn't half bad. Duchene has been our best player by a good margin this season.

Anyone thinking he is a 75+pts control the game guy is nuts, but a 65pts solid center, who is good at faceoffs and score at a decent rate is very much what you can expect from Duchene.

Clearly you haven't watched Duchene the past 2 seasons. As I'd say a vast majority of his goals have come from within 10ft of the net. He drives the net well, has become very good a collecting rebounds and scoring dirty goals, all while still being able to use his speed and finesse game when appropriate.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
EJ doesn't belong on that list. Neither does Grigs.

Before last night EJ had been absolutely stellar. While an incredibly frustrating loss, EJ is not a problem.

It's pretty obvious what the issue is with the Avs. While we all yearn for more from the big guys like EJ, MacK, Landy etc. the issue is clearly the lack of depth.

Especially now that Bednar has decided to roll with the MacK-Duchene-Rantanen line. That leaves Landeskog-Soderberg-Iginla as line 2. And honestly that might be the worst 2nd line in the league. Soderberg is a 3C, Iginla is done like dinner and can't do anything, Landeskog is fine but he sure as hell isn't the type of player that can carry a line, he is a finisher that needs talent around him.

Then you look at a bottom 6 that includes Comeau, Rene Bourque, Colborne, Grigorenko, Mitchell, Martinsen, McCleod and it's terrible.

Comeau is a 4th liner playing 3rd line, Bourque probably should be a 13th man but he plays 3rd line and gets constant PP time, Colborne is fine, Grigorenko really should be a top 6 or bust type he is pretty much worthless in a bottom 6 roll, Mitchell is fine, Martinsen is another 4th line/AHL caliber player, and McCleod is an AHLer at this point and brings nothing of value to the table at the NHL level.

Defense is not good. EJ is a #2 but is asked to be a #1, Zadorov is getting better but still just a kid, Beauchemin has regressed hard this year, Barrie has regressed offensively and has physically gotten worse in his own end which I didn't think was possible, Wiercioch is probably a #6/#7 but is constantly playing 2nd pairing minutes, Tyutin sucks, Gelinas sucks.

Until we address the depth issues we're going to continue to struggle mightily. Next year will be interesting, with a bunch of contracts coming off the books and a few prospects coming up that will help this issue. I'm hoping that next year, we can sign a couple soild UFAs to address some depth issues, and I'm looking forward to Bigras, Compher, and Greer being full time NHLers.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
EJ doesn't belong on that list. Neither does Grigs.

Before last night EJ had been absolutely stellar. While an incredibly frustrating loss, EJ is not a problem.

Grigorenko has not played well this season, and Johnson has not been "absolutely stellar". If what they've done so far is good enough for you, I hope you enjoy losing teams.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Biggest disappointment this year for me is easily Barrie, he's not generating anything at all. I'm so ready to ship him out for RNH then try to get Trouba out of Winnipeg.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Lol....11pts in 12 games on a team that can't score isn't half bad. Duchene has been our best player by a good margin this season.

Anyone thinking he is a 75+pts control the game guy is nuts, but a 65pts solid center, who is good at faceoffs and score at a decent rate is very much what you can expect from Duchene.

Clearly you haven't watched Duchene the past 2 seasons. As I'd say a vast majority of his goals have come from within 10ft of the net. He drives the net well, has become very good a collecting rebounds and scoring dirty goals, all while still being able to use his speed and finesse game when appropriate.

Not following them regularly, but I have- it's just that he's been underwhelming compared to what people try to say he is.

landstuhltaylor

Feb 2, 2009
Biggest disappointment this year for me is easily Barrie, he's not generating anything at all. I'm so ready to ship him out for RNH then try to get Trouba out of Winnipeg.

You mean with the same start that he has had every single season? He never starts well but he will pick it up

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Looks like they hired another dud as a head coach.

Same players. Same results. A new coach wasn't going to turn this around.

SEPH hit the nail on the head from the start. This team is mentally fragile and it has a low IQ, particularly the Dmen. Hard to blame the coach when players just make stupid decisions over and over.

Doesn't help that Varly has been Swiss cheese just like last year. All the weak early goals don't help the mentally fragile skaters either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad