Avs/Denver radio station?

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Curious if there is any radio stations that cover the avs very well, perhaps in the denver area?

I sure wish the US had a TSN radio equivalent, so tired of hearing about football and baseball. I have a radio app that allows me to listen to any station, but I have yet to find any stations covering the Avs. Any Denver locals have any suggestions?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
All of the local stations do a little bit but its very hard to find the times that they do. 104.3 had Joe Sacco on today to talk about his press conference yesterday.

93.7 Mile High Radio had Landeskog on early this week. Its just rare and at points during the day. I would google and sometimes their website shows what is going down that day and around what time

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
You're not getting Avs talk other than news blips and the occasional player interview.
None of the hosts know hockey well enough to break down anything. And when they do give opinions they're usually awful.

I'd say 102.3 has the most player interviews.
If you have a twitter, follow Dater because he almost always Tweets if a player is going to be doing a radio interview with the time and station.

Last year, 93.7 had a segment every Tuesday at 5PM (I think) where they talked about hockey for about 20 minutes but I don't know if they're continuing it

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
When the avs win, 104.3 the Fan does a great job covering. Mike Evans and Sandy Clough used to be paired in the morning and did a fantastic job talking avs in the late '90s in the morning. Sandy really knows his stuff, and Evans is no slouch. When the avs were contenders they talked avs all the time. Mike Evans was partnered with Mark Moser, too for a few years before Moser went to be the color analyst for the radio broadcasts on Altitude radio. When Norm Jones retired, Moser became the play by play announcer on the radio. They've had their knowledgeable hosts and can do justice to avs talk. Evans is now paired with Joel Klatt, who was a quarterback for Colorado University and thinks he knows everything. He's a d1ck and probably won't know wth he's talking about if/when the time ever comes. Clough hosts by himself now I think mid-morning and some weekend time.

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Thanks for the suggestions, although I have yet to hear a single word uttered about hockey on any of these stations. I absolutely HATE the amount of coverage the NFL (and mlb/nba) gets in America, it's completely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong country.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Thanks for the suggestions, although I have yet to hear a single word uttered about hockey on any of these stations. I absolutely HATE the amount of coverage the NFL (and mlb/nba) gets in America, it's completely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong country.

Call in to the stations. Honestly they love it when hockey fans call in, because I feel like some of them appreciate hockey and get bored of talking Broncos and Nuggets.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Buy Centre Ice or GameCenter Live.

You'll get every game that isn't on CBC, TSN, and SN.

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Once the NFL ends after the Super Bowl the hockey talk will pick up a bit.

Evans and Klatt in the morning on 104.3 will talk about hockey a little, especially if the Avs are doing well.

Sandy Clough is on from 9-12 on 104.3 and knows his hockey. I enjoy his show.

My favorite show has turned out to be Les Shapiro & Tom Nalen, who are on at noon on 102.3. Nalen has been an insightful host, something you wouldn't expect since he refused to talk to the media during his playing career. His kids play hockey, though he admits he isn't a hockey expert. But they will talk hockey.

The afternoon shows are a wasteland of hockey talk. Alfred Williams and Dmac on 104.3 are an outright joke. Nate Kreckman and Charles Johnson are only a little better. Both former CU football players, Williams and Johnson, were giddy about the NHL being locked out.

It's too bad there isn't a former Avalanche player that went into talk radio. Rycroft does a good job on Altitude, I'd like to see him get a chance to host a show.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Once the NFL ends after the Super Bowl the hockey talk will pick up a bit.

Evans and Klatt in the morning on 104.3 will talk about hockey a little, especially if the Avs are doing well.

Sandy Clough is on from 9-12 on 104.3 and knows his hockey. I enjoy his show.

My favorite show has turned out to be Les Shapiro & Tom Nalen, who are on at noon on 102.3. Nalen has been an insightful host, something you wouldn't expect since he refused to talk to the media during his playing career. His kids play hockey, though he admits he isn't a hockey expert. But they will talk hockey.

The afternoon shows are a wasteland of hockey talk. Alfred Williams and Dmac on 104.3 are an outright joke. Nate Kreckman and Charles Johnson are only a little better. Both former CU football players, Williams and Johnson, were giddy about the NHL being locked out.

It's too bad there isn't a former Avalanche player that went into talk radio. Rycroft does a good job on Altitude, I'd like to see him get a chance to host a show.

Shapiro is very good. I had forgotten about him in my earlier post, good call. And Rycroft does do a great job on altitude, lots of passion, energy & knowledge. Great post.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Never could stand Shapiro when he was on TV. Can't imagine I'd like him on radio.

Alfred Williams is a jerk and Dmac is an idiot but I love their show. Can't stand Evans and Klatt though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad