Rumor: Avs considering Tatar as circle back option [Mod Warning in OP]

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm curious, respectfully (you have the right to not like the player). What is it you would be ready to trade for him? The way I see it, a late 1st pick (like the Colorado pick will be) is far from certain to even become an NHL player, while Tatar averages 49 points/82 games during his career.

From a Habs' pov, I'd much rather get a known prospect than a late 1st, but I believe the likely return will be a 1st + B or lower prospect
Kaut or Bowers + 2nd + Sampo Ranta (or a different C level prospect of ours). I'd be nervous sending that.

Tatar adds little else other than offense, I guess that just brings him down a bit in my eyes.

Reactions: abo9

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What would Avs fans say if its Petry +Tatar or Petry +Domi for Byram?

Let's look at the pieces.

Byram: A just-highly-drafted dman who projects to be a #1 and offers years of mostly cheap team control

Petry: A 32 year old #2 dman signed for 1.5 seasons
Tatar: A 29 year old good 2nd liner signed for 1.5 seasons

There's no way those two add up to Byram. We were discussing a rumor trading Byram for Kyle Connor, who is a 23 year old clear cut first line winger with six more years of team control, and even that was divisive.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
From everything we hear, a Tatar trade would require an overpayment, which makes sense. It's a seller's market and MB is in no rush to trade him.

But then again, we keep being surprised, so who knows. But it does seem like most fans from buying teams will be shocked a the prices this year. A good rule of thumb is add a notch in value to what you think he's worth.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Let's look at the pieces.

Byram: A just-highly-drafted dman who projects to be a #1 and offers years of mostly cheap team control

Petry: A 32 year old #2 dman signed for 1.5 seasons
Tatar: A 29 year old good 2nd liner signed for 1.5 seasons

There's no way those two add up to Byram. We were discussing a rumor trading Byram for Kyle Connor, who is a 23 year old clear cut first line winger with six more years of team control, and even that was divisive.

To be fair, If you don't trade Byram for Kyle Connor, you need to be fired on the spot.

I do agree neither Tatar or Petry get you Byram. However, Tatar right now is a 1st line LW.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Someone nobody's really talking about from the Habs that could be of interest is Joel Armia. He's a big body who can play up and down the line up, signed cheap for an extra year. Is on pace for 20+ goal this year. I could see him fetch a 1st+ quite easily with the trades from the past few days.
Tatar is probably too important for the team to trade him right now. I would think they keep him for next year and re-evaluate.

I basically think the exact opposite of you. I would look to get the most I can for Tatar now and make Armia untouchable. Habs need more Armia-types, not less.

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
what a weird comparison, probably wouldn't trade gallagher for byram
Then you dont know anything about hockey. Prospects have no value until they actually play in the NHL. I would readily trade Newhook and Byram for Tatar, Gallagher, and Petry, because prospects are just that--a mere roll of the dice--a fart in the wind, if you will. Tatar for Byram would be a steal for the Avs. A top line LW for a "mystery box" like Byram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kallio

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Then you dont know anything about hockey. Prospect have no value until they actually play in the NHL. I would readily trade Newhook and Byram for Tatar, Gallagher, and Petry, because prospects are just that--a mere roll of the dice--a fart in the wind, if you will. Tatar for Byram would be a steal for the Avs. A top line LW for a "mystery box" like Byram.
Your logic isn't necessarily true.. it's different for top ranked prospects in the NHL. For example you're stating when McDavid or Crosby were still prospects you'd trade them for a couple average NHL players since they were still prospects. Lmao now they are 2 of the best players ever in the world.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Ya no. Your not convincing anyone that a 3rd liner being paid 1.8 M is worth more than a top line forward being paid 2.65 M.
I think Tatar is the better and more valuable player. He certainly would return a 1st round pick + plus a solid prospect considering Tatar got a 1st round + 2nd round + 3rd round in his down season. It amusing to see the minority of Avs fans claim that Tatar wouldn't fetch a 1st. However, I think saying Coleman is a 3rd liner is selling him short. Coleman is a strong two-way forward with a scoring touch to his game. Personally, I view Coleman as a quality top 6 forward.
upload_2020-2-18_18-47-22.png

Reactions: HabsMD97

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
The ask may be too high and the teams in on him weren't willing to it up so they went with cheaper options.. Bergevin may have shot himself in the foot seeing How he got him for free basically.
There is still time until the trade deadline, there is always a team that will pay the price Im not worried about that

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I saw a facebook post from RDS saying that Bergevin was in Denver to scout. Boy I read the comments. Someone suggested Tatar and Kovy for a 1st, Newhook and Timmins or someone straight up Byram. It was a funny read though. Anyway what does Habs fans expect to get for Tatar?
I'd assume a 2020 1st and a B prospect. None of those Timmins, Byram, Newhook, etc. kinds of pieces.

Reactions: Spilot23 and abo9

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
There is still time until the trade deadline, there is always a team that will pay the price Im not worried about that
Thing is Bergevin does not HAVE to trade Tatar. If he doesn't get the value he wants, he can certainly wait in June/at the draft/in September (hello Pacioretty) or even at the next year trade deadline to trade him.

Thing is, market seems crazy right now (see the Coleman deal), and not many top line wingers are available. Teams that strike out on Kreider might circle back on Tatar.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Thing is Bergevin does not HAVE to trade Tatar. If he doesn't get the value he wants, he can certainly wait in June/at the draft/in September (hello Pacioretty) or even at the next year trade deadline to trade him.

Thing is, market seems crazy right now (see the Coleman deal), and not many top line wingers are available. Teams that strike out on Kreider might circle back on Tatar.
Thats exactly why I think he has to trade him now, his value might be at the highest right now. But I agree he can still keep him and sell him next year at the deadline if we are out of playoffs race. I like Tatar but Im a fan of selling at the highest.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
the more a think about it, if he does get traded to COL there's no way it's for less than a 1st + Timmins. Zucker got a 1st + Addison and Timmins and Addison are similar level of prospects. Tatar is a better player now than he was when he got traded by the wings. He is about to hit a career year 2 seasons in a row and is one of the best possession players in the NHL, top 10-15 I believe. He is above average defensively as well and can give a great team 2 potential playoff runs. a 1st from the Avs is gonna be in the 24-31st pick range (their 1st round pick is gonna be worse than the pick NJ got from tampa), the prospect added needs to be significant to make up for that, kaut and jost aren't even close to making up the value.
I get it, avs fans don't wanna do that, but there's a realistic chance Avs try to trade for Tatar from the rumors we're hearing and this is simply what it's gonna take to get him considering GMMB doesn't even wanna move him to begin with and insiders have pointed out that it's gonna take a overpayment to get him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
May be an issue for a GM. Going to the owner to say you need to retain salary in order to trade a guy who was the main return in the Pacioretty trade sounds awkward. I would not want to tell my boss that I needed to spend more of her money to get rid of something I bought with her money.
The thing is, Tatar was seen as negative value in that trade. He was a cap dump, not the main piece. It's why Montreal got a guy like Suzuki instead of a lesser prospect. That negative value player is now hugely positive. Retaining for 1.25 seasons to further increase his value isn't "spending more to get rid of him." It's eating some money that the team can afford to maximize his value.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
the more a think about it, if he does get traded to COL there's no way it's for less than a 1st + Timmins. Zucker got a 1st + Addison and Timmins and Addison are similar level of prospects. Tatar is a better player now than he was when he got traded by the wings. He is about to hit a career year 2 seasons in a row and is one of the best possession players in the NHL, top 10-15 I believe. He is above average defensively as well and can give a great team 2 potential playoff runs. a 1st from the Avs is gonna be in the 24-31st pick range (their 1st round pick is gonna be worse than the pick NJ got from tampa), the prospect added needs to be significant to make up for that, kaut and jost aren't even close to making up the value.
I get it, avs fans don't wanna do that, but there's a realistic chance Avs try to trade for Tatar from the rumors we're hearing and this is simply what it's gonna take to get him considering GMMB doesn't even wanna move him to begin with and insiders have pointed out that it's gonna take a overpayment to get him.

Not going to lie...

Those are some good points. Personally I'd prefer to keep Timmins however.

Maybe Byram for Tatar instead? 1 for 1? Avs get to keep Timmins and the 1st. Get a great Top 6 player with term out of the deal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
With the Scandellio trade one might say the Habs need Byram.

Aves in drivers seat for this one. Expect Habs to have to retain salary on Tatar if they want Byram now.
If that's the case, then we can make a deal since i want the Aves to save on as much salary as possible for MacKinnon.

Suzuki + Tatar for Avs 1st 2020, Avs 2nd 2021, Byram, Newhook, and Mark Barberio.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJOSTTHINGS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad