Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene - Part II

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
When he(Cale) heard the Avs acquired him in the Duchene trade he looked him up a bit online watching clips on youtube and stuff to see what kind of player he was. He knew he was pretty good as a former 1st rounder but didn't know much more about him.

Then he played against Shane for a pair of games in a weeks span last year where Bowers had 3+1 in those 2 games and Cale said playing against him made him quickly realize that the Avs got themselves a special player in that trade.

Pretty cool quote. Should further silence any worries from certain posters about Makar not signing with us. The dude was invested in the Avs enough to be following the Duchene trade and looking into who we were acquiring from the moment the trade happens. Sounds like a guy who really wants to be a key part in the success of this team in the near future.

The article in general is a pretty good article, probably Clark's best yet for the Athletic. He gets some good quotes from Hepple about him as well, and a few other guys.
Thanks.

Yeah Makar is 100% AVS...apparently he was acting like a leader and a vet at dev camp with the new guys.

Reactions: joakym

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
That's some more good news for Avs fans, Bowers, power forward who plays good in all 3 zones and is projected to be 2nd line C. Captain and a former 1st round pick. Why would Ottawa in their right mind ever give us a 1st round prospect that has a ceiling as high as 2nd line C. I know they had prospects in Chabot, White, Brown, Formenton and such but giving up Bowers with all the other assets. I have a difficult time understanding this. What if Bowers does become that top 6 power forward. This would be like a trade of the century.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
There are some real gems from the first couple pages of that thread. Is is cool to tag people with their posts?

@PAZ

@Avs71
What an amazingly fun season it ended up being.

@Pierce Hawthorne

@JWK

@Xokkeu
Whoops :sarcasm:

@kingslayer

@Sea Eagles

Have a feeling you might have changed your mind on that one :laugh:

Fun stuff in that thread. Seems like forever ago. We all thought that the 1st was basically guaranteed to be 15-25 this year. The initial reactions were almost all positive, from all sides of the trade, which is really rare.

I’m only changing my mind if the Avs get Jack Hughes out of it.

Lol

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
That's some more good news for Avs fans, Bowers, power forward who plays good in all 3 zones and is projected to be 2nd line C. Captain and a former 1st round pick. Why would Ottawa in their right mind ever give us a 1st round prospect that has a ceiling as high as 2nd line C. I know they had prospects in Chabot, White, Brown, Formenton and such but giving up Bowers with all the other assets. I have a difficult time understanding this. What if Bowers does become that top 6 power forward. This would be like a trade of the century.
Bowers had a "rocky" start in college. 4 points in 11 games IIRC. Some sens fans had turned on him already.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bowers had a "rocky" start in college. 4 points in 11 games IIRC. Some sens fans had turned on him already.

They never liked him. Their whole board was underwhelmed when he was picked as he projected to become a middle 6er. Fans don't like their 1st rounders to have that kind of ceiling. They were actually happy that he was the one traded to us instead of Chabot/White/Brown.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
So if things fall perfectly this will be our 2nd line a year from now

Hughes - Bowers - Kaut

Makar - Timmins

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Lewis - Hughes - Kaut
Ranta - Jost - Henry
Greer - Bowers - Compher
Kamenev

Makar - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Timmins
Meloche

Grubauer
Francouz
Annunen

:naughty:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Kamenev really needs to improve his foot speed. Every other part of his game is pretty damn good, but this day in age the only below average skaters who still manage to succeed at the NHL level are the guys that are elite in most other parts of the game. I don’t think Kamenev is quite there.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
They never liked him. Their whole board was underwhelmed when he was picked as he projected to become a middle 6er. Fans don't like their 1st rounders to have that kind of ceiling. They were actually happy that he was the one traded to us instead of Chabot/White/Brown.

Totally understandable, we'd probably react the same honestly.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Skating is one of the easiest things to fix, I'm still quite high on Kamenev.
I mean, I hear people say this all the time but there aren’t many cases of people “fixing” their skating. Tavares, Wheeler.... who else?

People saying “skating is one of the easiest things to fix” is essentially just saying it’s easier to fix than hockey sense which is pretty much impossible to fix unless you’re an extreme case like EJ. Even he is quite dumb still.

I’d argue stickhandling and shooing are much easier to fix than skating.

So yeah, it’s easier to fix than some parts, but in most cases a marginal improvement is the best you’ll ever see. Skating is probably the most important facet of the game in 2018. If it was as easy to fix as people here continuously say it is, We’d all still be aiming for the show.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean, I hear people say this all the time but there aren’t many cases of people “fixing” their skating. Tavares, Wheeler.... who else?

People saying “skating is one of the easiest things to fix” is essentially just saying it’s easier to fix than hockey sense which is pretty much impossible to fix unless you’re an extreme case like EJ. Even he is quite dumb still.

So yeah, it’s easier to fix than some parts, but in most cases a marginal improvement is the best you’ll ever see. Skating is probably the most important facet of the game in 2018. If it was as easy to fix as people here continuously say it is, We’d all still be aiming for the show.

Kamenev should find Greg de Vries skating coach.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Skating is definitely an easy attribute to go from bad to average in. But like every skill it's impossible to become an elite or even high end skater if it's not natural to you. You can't teach someone to become elite in a skill but you can teach them to become very good. Skating is one of the more common skills for a player to improve with lots of examples around the league suggesting as much. Wheeler, Tavares, O'Reilly, Getzlaf, Point, Draisaitl. And we're seeing it in our own team right now with Jost and Rantanen.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Skating is definitely an easy attribute to go from bad to average in. But like every skill it's impossible to become an elite or even high end skater if it's not natural to you. You can't teach someone to become elite in a skill but you can teach them to become very good. Skating is one of the more common skills for a player to improve with lots of examples around the league suggesting as much. Wheeler, Tavares, O'Reilly, Getzlaf, Point, Draisaitl. And we're seeing it in our own team right now with Jost and Rantanen.

Rants is dealing with a different kind of skating issues, it's an equilibrium/balance thing and I don't know what they can do about that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

The "fix" is learning to make the best with what they have. No NHL player will learn to skate distinctively faster at age 18. All these guys have been skating since very young age, it's like walking/running for them. That'd be like going to a sprinter who has been doing that for 10 years to give him tips to run faster.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Rants is dealing with a different kind of skating issues, it's an equilibrium/balance thing and I don't know what they can do about that.

Nah. His skating in general has greatly improved. He still needs work with his balance but he had taken steps forward in terms of his agility and straight line ability.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The "fix" is learning to make the best with what they have. No NHL player will learn to skate distinctively faster at age 18. All these guys have been skating since very young age, it's like walking/running for them. That'd be like going to a sprinter who has been doing that for 10 years to give him tips to run faster.
Do you seriously believe that a skater or sprinter cannot get faster after he reaches 18 years of age? Whoa!!!

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Do you seriously believe that a skater or sprinter cannot get faster after he reaches 18 years of age? Whoa!!!

It's quite pretentious to believe than an NHL player who went through hockey development all his life (and elite level schools/coaches for most of them during their pre-draft years) isn't aware of everything he needs to know about how to skate properly... and he'd need tips to skate faster.

What they learn is being effective at the NHL level despite not having great skating. There are plenty of average skaters that are good players, and that's why some need a skating coach. Skating fast, like running fast, is a natural hability. Usain Bolt was faster than anyone in his town by age 12 and he learned on his own. Some are just better at it than others.

To answer your question, those who get faster at that age don't do it through learning a new technique (or at least very little) they do it through power and conditioning.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think when people say that they mean it’s the easiest to go from bad/below average to average or slightly above average. Almost no bad skater will become elite just by working on it.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad