Avowed (Obsidian RPG) (PC, Xbox Series X)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Obsidian, makers of Fallout: New Vegas and The Outer Worlds, announced a new first-person RPG today that's set in the same fantasy world as their top-down RPG, Pillars of Eternity. It looks a bit like Skyrim, especially with the player at the end of the trailer holding a sword in one hand and casting magic with the other. If you'll recall, Obsidian was acquired by Microsoft, so that's why it's only for Windows and next-gen Xbox.

Gamespot said:
Avowed is billed as an "epic, first-person RPG" that's set in an original fantasy world called Eora. Obsidian told Xbox, after being acquired in November 2018, that the studio wanted to work on a huge RPG epic in the way Obsidian only knows how. Though the studio didn't provide any other details about the game, and while there was no gameplay reveal, Avowed will launch on Windows 10 PC and Xbox Series X.

Obsidian Reveals New Xbox Series X RPG, Avowed

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just skimmed through the video a little, is the game related to Pillars of Eternity? Caught a moment where they said the fish monsters were the same as from there.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I forgot that I even made this thread. Wow, that was a while ago, too. Nice bump.
Just skimmed through the video a little, is the game related to Pillars of Eternity? Caught a moment where they said the fish monsters were the same as from there.
According to me above (so take it with a big grain of salt), it's "set in the same fantasy world as their top-down RPG, Pillars of Eternity."

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I will be following this one. I enjoyed Outer Worlds, though I felt it lacked a bit scratching my hoarder tendencies (only a couple types of weapons really, limited modding IIRC), and FO:NV is a top 10 game, possibly top 5, for me all time.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Pillars pf Eternity were excellent CRPGs, really wish that they would make another. Just based on that alone, this has potential to be very good.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I will be following this one. I enjoyed Outer Worlds, though I felt it lacked a bit scratching my hoarder tendencies (only a couple types of weapons really, limited modding IIRC), and FO:NV is a top 10 game, possibly top 5, for me all time.
If you haven't already, you might care to check out Grounded, their open world RPG that they released between The Outer Worlds and this. It scratched my horder/crafting itch. I really enjoyed it.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
If you haven't already, you might care to check out Grounded, their open world RPG that they released between The Outer Worlds and this. It scratched my horder/crafting itch. I really enjoyed it.
Never even heard of it, man I am out of the loop. Will check it out, thanks.

Edit: Starfield was supposed to scratch that itch for me, and it was for a while, but then I finished the Crimson Pirate questline siding with the 'good guys', did a re-org of my gear and ship, and just never opened the game up again. Hope to return to it some day with some QOL improvements, if they ever come.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Never even heard of it, man I am out of the loop. Will check it out, thanks.

Edit: Starfield was supposed to scratch that itch for me, and it was for a while, but then I finished the Crimson Pirate questline siding with the 'good guys', did a re-org of my gear and ship, and just never opened the game up again. Hope to return to it some day with some QOL improvements, if they ever come.
I pretty much didn't use any of the workbenches in Starfield. It just didn't seem necessary because the game was easy enough even on Very Hard and I didn't want to make it any easier by making my weapons or suits more effective.

Grounded, on the other hand, requires you to make extensive use of workbenches because 1) most weapons aren't just lying around; you need to construct them from blueprints, and 2) they're not that effective unless you upgrade them. Most enemies are resistant to some types of damage and weak to others, and to make weapons that they're weak to, you need to upgrade them. If you don't craft and upgrade weapons specifically for certain types of enemies, the game will be a lot harder than it needs to be. It's a highly challenging game, but highly rewarding when you make an upgraded weapon that makes short work of an enemy that used to kick your butt. BTW, the game is on Game Pass, so, if you have that, you won't even need to buy it to play it.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I pretty much didn't use any of the workbenches in Starfield. It just didn't seem necessary because the game was easy enough even on Very Hard and I didn't want to make it any easier by making my weapons or suits more effective.

Grounded, on the other hand, requires you to make extensive use of workbenches because 1) most weapons aren't just lying around; you need to construct them from blueprints, and 2) they're not that effective unless you upgrade them. Most enemies are resistant to some types of damage and weak to others, and to make weapons that they're weak to, you need to upgrade them. If you don't craft and upgrade weapons specifically for certain types of enemies, the game will be a lot harder than it needs to be. It's a highly challenging game, but highly rewarding when you make an upgraded weapon that makes short work of an enemy that used to kick your butt. BTW, the game is on Game Pass, so, if you have that, you won't even need to buy it to play it.
Ya for Starfield I got into the workbenches, but I 100% felt I wasted those skills for the Suit upgrade tree. After a couple early missions, I had great suits, but even with basic ones I was never in any real danger, and the upgrades were minimally helpful (the Power Armor upgrade system in FO4 was way better). The weapons ones I found worth it, but it didn't encourage much playing around, and I think I went about 10 levels without finding a better weapon that my setup. Probably doesn't help that in all games like that I am a Semi-Auto Assault Rifle main / Long Range Sniper / Crappy Ammo Backup for Weak Enemies player so once I have a great main & sniper, I rarely use anything else.

I will say that the planet situation really broken the open world concept for me. I cannot claim this as my take, but I read it somewhere and it rang true for me: My love for the Bethesda Open World RPG is the wandering and coming across something cool & new to explore. That type of wandering is killed with the multiple planets. Maybe if it had been 6-10 dense worlds that were 'truly' open vs what it ended up being that sense of wandering might have worked, but honestly I wished I realized that that type of gameplay is the draw to me, and planets automatically break that, before I hyped it like I did.

Anyway, will give Grounded a chance after I get through my replay of Cyberpunk with the DLC.

Reactions: Osprey

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Intrigued, not sold on it. I don't think the the Outer Worlds was very good and it's not like the masterminds behind NV are still with Obsidian - so I have no idea how this is gonna turn out. Looks cool though, so far.

Reactions: Andrei79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad