GDT: Avoid the Hangover: Golden Knights @ Your New Jersey Devils, 5 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
other than goaltending, how do you break this down? granted it has no context, but it doesn't seem like we were isolated to one side/region of the O-zone

yesterday really seemed like a case of just good goaltending
30NHZOq.png

Reactions: Camille the Eel

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
other than goaltending, how do you break this down? granted it has no context, but it doesn't seem like we were isolated to one side/region of the O-zone

30NHZOq.png
We do not even have to go into advanced stats or heat maps. Devils played well in the first two periods but Flower was better than Cory, and in the third Vegas closed us down with a tight checking game. Those are the reasons they lost.

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
are any of the advanced stats people able to isolate when the devils are tied or leading to when they are playing behind?

Each of the last 3 games, once the other team regained the lead they tightened up the defense substantially. they also do not fear icing the puck against us. devils are a much more dangerous open ice/rush team then they are an offensive zone powerhouse.

i also feel like the refs have given the devils no breaks. last night was a game where when the devils were dominated certain officiating crews would have called two or three more penalties. it seems to happen a lot to us this year.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
the two guys on my shit list the most right now (and i assume a lot of people's) are greene and schneider. but the biggest difference is, schneider mans up and says he has to be better. whereas greene always just points to bad breaks and bad bounces.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
the two guys on my **** list the most right now (and i assume a lot of people's) are greene and schneider. but the biggest difference is, schneider mans up and says he has to be better. whereas greene always just points to bad breaks and bad bounces.
For now we just have to suck it up...

But if Greene is anywhere in the top 4 next season , and still has the C, the Im jumping on the boat of hating him as a current Devil.

Anything more than bottom pair minutes and MAYBE 2nd PK time is unacceptable.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

30NHZOq.png
I think that is all it was - Fleury played an amazing game. Got to give it to him.

Devils could have been better in the first half of the second but other than that they
Played relatively well

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
the two guys on my **** list the most right now (and i assume a lot of people's) are greene and schneider. but the biggest difference is, schneider mans up and says he has to be better. whereas greene always just points to bad breaks and bad bounces.
Cory knows he's not been good enough, he made some nice saves at times which means it's not a physical thing but a mental one. Maybe he can get his head back or maybe he needs a change of scenery ?
Greene is just washed up

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I heard the Women's Olympic team will be at MSG on Tuesday? Now they're gonna be at our game on Tuesday too? Or maybe that's Thursday that they're gonna be at our game? I saw the Jets and we play them on Thursday, so maybe they will be at MSG on Tuesday and at our game on Thursday.

edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I got the notification text a little bit earlier from the NHL/Devils app.

I thought I saw on the Rangers broadcast that they were gonna be at their game on Tuesday? That would lame as f*** if they were at both on the same night.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ

I agree with you and Greene's answers do get frustrating. That being said, it is easier to acknowledge your shortcomings when you feel you can eventually improve them. Cory can do that. I'm not sure Greene can at this point.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

Cory does say the right things, but most nhl goalies say that... actually most goalies in general say that. I know I never blame the d, and always take blame for anything I let in, weak or a 4 tip deflection

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Greene's biggest problem is overusage. He shouldn't be playing 20+ minutes a night at this point in his career, but we can't really afford to play him only 17-18 minutes a night because asking Moore or Butcher to take Greene's matchups would be even worse.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We do not even have to go into advanced stats or heat maps. Devils played well in the first two periods but Flower was better than Cory, and in the third Vegas closed us down with a tight checking game. Those are the reasons they lost.
That was what I thought too. Their goalie was certainly better than ours, even though he gave up one pretty poor goal himself.

I thought we looked good early in the 3rd period, but just didn't have much going in the second half of the 3rd.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

What Greene is doing is a psychological tactic, one that's often taught to athletes and performers. Look up Martin Seligman's work on optimism, but basically it's this: they found that, more often than not, winning teams don't take things personally - they blame things on bounces, bad luck, etc. Teams that did worse say, "I've got to be better, I can't do that, I should do this, etc."

I don't care what the athletes say to the media because it's not meant to be the truth and it's not meant to be enlightening. It's meant to bring as little extra attention as possible to the other guys in the locker room.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Greene's biggest problem is overusage. He shouldn't be playing 20+ minutes a night at this point in his career, but we can't really afford to play him only 17-18 minutes a night because asking Moore or Butcher to take Greene's matchups would be even worse.
Agreed.

I'm starting to become skeptical that he'd be good as a 16 minute defender, but I think there's a chance he would be. He's finished as anything close to a 20+ minute guy.

I don't think he'd be good as a bottom pairing guy, but the thing is that having a liability like him on the third defense line isn't as big of a deal as a liability and anchor playing 20 minutes, against tougher competition. I do think he'd be a little better though, if not due to the fact that he'd be facing weaker competition.

Camille the Eel

30NHZOq.png
Their chart showing the two goals scored from right in front of our net is revealing. Comparing, we had a lot more chances down low but didn't convert. They potted their two best looks. Put these together with the replays you see that those two goals against were also breakdowns by (1) Cory on goal # 3, and (2) our team defense on goal # 1. Both of those goals were preventable.

More generally, you saw a difference in the skill, size and strength of the two teams on the back end last night. Their defense is bigger, more stable, more able to stand up and create turnovers in the neutral zone and hem us into out own zone than our defense is able to do to them. The strength on the back line is the big difference between the two teams.

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad