GDT: Avoid the Hangover: Golden Knights @ Your New Jersey Devils, 5 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we've been losing these games because of goaltending, not because we're being outplayed or are the worse team

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if we miss the playoffs there better be a change in goal even if it's not necessarily kinkaids fault
One of the problems I’ve cited with Kinkaid this year aside from his actual performance is that if this is the goalie Schneider now is, we probably need a backup that’s not really a backup.

Doesn’t mean we need another starter, but a guy that can give you a solid season of 30 or more starts.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
we've been losing these games because of goaltending, not because we're being outplayed or are the worse team

That’s just not entirely true. We are losing games because they don’t put the puck in the net unless Hall is doing it or setting up someone else. They’ve scored more than 3 goals once since the middle of February. It’s hard to win regardless of goaltending if you’re only potting 1 or 2 a night. Goaltending hasn’t won any games but it’s not the major issue. We have no secondary scoring right now, that’s the issue.

Reactions: My3Sons

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I agree overall, but we have 3 goals total the past 2 games. That isn't going to cut it no matter who is in goal.

i agree. but when it comes down to the teams on the ice, the other goalie is outplaying ours. we're scoring 1 goal because the other goalie is making all the saves he needs to, we're giving up goals we shouldn't and it's the difference in close games

Reactions: mtnet

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
secondary scoring is also an issue. they can't find two lines that work at the same time. but backbreaking goals after getting back into a game is killing momentum

Reactions: mtnet

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
But that's when you need your goaltending to step up. Down the stretch you need to win, not lose, the 2 - 1, 3 - 2 games consistently. I just have to repeat you ride the goalie who's winning for you, whoever it is. There's no time now to be playing Cory back into shape. When you ride a guy who's winning, however he's doing it and whether you think he's best in the abstract or not, don't change horses in the middle of the stream.

This is where I'm at as well and I was a big supporter of pushing Cory hard as they could earlier in the season when he was rolling. Kinkaid can easily throw up a clunker so there is a risk going with him but his last two weeks of work were really solid. I don't know, the team is in a really tough spot here. Basically, no matter who plays, they need to be razor sharp because I don't think this team is just suddenly going to start scoring wildly. Like you said, they're going to need to win these 2-1, 3-2 type games. If they need 4 to win every night, they're done.

I wasn't enamored with the Devils play last night. I thought they did well to start and as the game got tighter, they faded. Still, they played fairly well and I would consider it a very winnable game or at least one where they could have gotten a point. Fleury was just better last night. That was the difference imho.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Tough to win when whoever is in goal makes it a habit of letting in a clunker every game. Not to mention the one came right after our own goal.

The 2nd goal killed us.

We had momentum, the sedated crowd finally woke up and Greene and just about every other skater on the ice just could not clear the zone when they had opportunities to do so.

Reaves outworked us and got the puck to the open point.

That goal was a team allowed goal. Weak

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Too many ill advised pass attempts, bad decisions with the puck, weak clearing attempts.

Unfortunate since it looked like we had our legs and could go head to head with LV.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fleury was great. I always thought he was overrated but he's proving me wrong
He’s having a career year, but was pretty lousy last year.

He’s a rare case of a goalie that might have actually gotten better into his 30’s. He was a mediocre goaltender on a stacked team for much of the late 00’s and early 10’s. He was very overrated about 5-10 years ago, but has actually been better over the last 5 years than he was earlier in his career.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He’s having a career year, but was pretty lousy last year.

He’s a rare case of a goalie that might have actually gotten better into his 30’s. He was a mediocre goaltender on a stacked team for much of the late 00’s and early 10’s. He was very overrated about 5-10 years ago, but has actually been better over the last 5 years than he was earlier in his career.

I disagree. It's a case where a goalie's type of chances changed from infrequent and highly dangerous with Pitt to frequent and low-danger with VGK. He's actually been the same goalie all along, but on a team like Pitt, he's fishing the puck out of the net after a breakaway goal where he looks terrible, as compared to facing 33 shots from the outside. Fleury has always been an excellent goalie - it is just that he gave up goals in crucial spots.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I disagree. It's a case where a goalie's type of chances changed from infrequent and highly dangerous with Pitt to frequent and low-danger with VGK. He's actually been the same goalie all along, but on a team like Pitt, he's fishing the puck out of the net after a breakaway goal where he looks terrible, as compared to facing 33 shots from the outside. Fleury has always been an excellent goalie - it is just that he gave up goals in crucial spots.
He has not always been an excellent goalie. He had one really good playoff after an above average season and then was average during the regular season and a disgrace in the postseason from 2010-2015. He wasn't even that fantastic for them when they won the cup. His good year was the year they lost.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He has not always been an excellent goalie. He had one really good playoff after an above average season and then was average during the regular season and a disgrace in the postseason from 2010-2015. He wasn't even that fantastic for them when they won the cup. His good year was the year they lost.
I thought he was fine in the playoffs in 2014 and 2015 and even last year when he played, but the years between 2010-2013 were some of the worst consecutive playoffs that I’ve ever seen from a goalie over a 4 year in a row stretch. He lost the starting job to Vokoun in the playoffs in 2013 after a couple awful games against the Islanders and with the series tied at 2. Vokoun eventually played a big part in getting them to the conference finals in 2013, where they were swept by Boston and score only like 3-4 goals the whole series.

Fleury’s 2009 cup run was one of the weakest goalie performances from a cup winner. 2010 Niemi and 2014 Quick were also just whatever. They didn’t necessarily win in spite of Fleury, but they won due in very minimal part to goaltending.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the main issue here isn't goaltending. it's goal scoring. it took Vats a while to get going, i'm hoping we see similar results soon from grabner

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It just sucks that Cort can't bail the team out here and there.

but see I don't agree with this either.

He stopped Karlsson on 2-3 breakaways last night and made a couple other nice saves

I agree the 2nd and 3rd goals were bad, but its not like he wasn't tested otherwise

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
but see I don't agree with this either.

He stopped Karlsson on 2-3 breakaways last night and made a couple other nice saves

I agree the 2nd and 3rd goals were bad, but its not like he wasn't tested otherwise

I wouldn't fault him for that second goal, but goal #3 he absolutely can't let in. That's a deflator.

On that second goal, it was a nice play, screen, and shot. Sometimes, you can do everything right and still get scored on.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I think what you're saying proves my point. His perception is entirely colored by some playoff failures in high-stakes games.

Perhaps I should say 'typically, he's an excellent regular-season goalie that is prone to occasional collapses'.

My point is: His success this year is no surprise. But he might be a dumpster fire in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad