Prospect Info: Aves select Oskar Olausson 28th overall

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I've watched some tape since yesterday and I still see a lot of the Burakovsky comparison that @Richard88 mentioned in the corporate greed thread. There are some differences of course as neither player is the same, but both are quite good goalscorers. How each other scores is eerie similar in both the location and how each skates off the boards and does that half moon in the upper slot to snipe it. Now with that said, Olausson clearly doesn't have Burakovsky's shot, Andre's shot is probably top 15 in the entire league and you just can't compare to it. Olausson's accuracy is as good as Bura even if it doesn't have the heaviness nor the insane release to it as the latter has.

Olausson has some other strengths to his game, I suggest he's a much better and faster skater than Burakovsky. He also has very underrated hands and is able to stickhandle in heavier traffic than Andre as well. That already sounds like a more serviceable player than Bura who really is only noticeable when he's one-on-one with the goaler with some open space. Olausson's play away from the puck is still a work in progress, but from what I've seen he reads the game higher and is a better back-chequer than Burakovsky is. I think he has some higher intelligence for the overall game than just in the offensive zone.

I do see some similar weaknesses between both players, one of them is that neither player is very good in the corners and along the boards. Olausson might become a bit better because he's still quite lanky and has a lot of room left to grow into. Neither has a mean streak though and as we saw in the last playoffs that could lead to him being easier to shutdown than someone at Calvert's style of play. I have more faith in Olausson in being the better two-way and doing the details if the puck isn't going in the net, but in the end like Burakovsky, Olausson's best attributes happen when he has the puck on his stick. I do think Avs drafted him to eventually replace Andre in the long-run when he prices himself out of Avs cap structure and that's still a very good selection. Additionally, another *potential* weakness I saw and I use that word lightly is that Olausson got an absurd number of goals this season on the powerplay. If there is something I want to see from him in the future as he continues to develop is his goalscoring record at even strength (perhaps one of you lot has some stats to beg a differ, but something I noticed).

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Another similarity with Burkie I have read about is that Olausson has a tendency to hold on to the puck a bit too long. That is certainly a weakness Burkie has as well.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Happy with this pick, his frame, speed, and shot give him a decent chance of atleast being an NHL'er. I certainly like what I've seen more than I like Kaut.

Reactions: Richard88

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Wings fan checking in: first off, my condolences for signing Helm.

But! I watched your boy Oskar in Plymouth last Sunday and I was pretty impressed. I thought he was Sweden's best player in that particular game. His hockey smarts were evident; he read plays and was always on the puck, made smart plays and showed really good vision with his passes. He also scored on a laser beam shot. He wasn't spectactular with his skating or physical presence, but you could see this is a guy whose ability to read the game can overcome any other shortfalls. I think Big O could turn out to be a very nice pick for you.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah I'm liking this kids potential. He's got good skill and the Avs fit his style well. He could end up being one of the better value picks because of it.

And I'm liking the late 1st round picks they've made the last couple years with him and Barron, a lot more than the late 1sts they've made in the past.

Hopefully a sign that the scouting staff has improved in that area.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Yeah I'm liking this kids potential. He's got good skill and the Avs fit his style well. He could end up being one of the better value picks because of it.

And I'm liking the late 1st round picks they've made the last couple years with him and Barron, a lot more than the late 1sts they've made in the past.

Hopefully a sign that the scouting staff has improved in that area.

A blind acorn finds a squirrel every once in a while.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think he said the plan was to stay in Sweden for a year in his post-draft interview, but that could have changed. The Avs seem to like having their Euro first rounders come over ASAP.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Also, we definitely live in a simulation.

Avs draft Jonas Johansson in 2002, #28OA, from HV71.

Nineteen years later, at pick #28 they select a guy born in 2002 from the same club, HV71.

Let's hope he doesn't bust like the first guy

Reactions: Nihiliste

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think he said the plan was to stay in Sweden for a year in his post-draft interview, but that could have changed. The Avs seem to like having their Euro first rounders come over ASAP.
Lots of teams like to do that... get them in the org as soon as possible.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve watched his videos a bunch since the draft but I have a hard time getting past the fact that it looks like he’s legitimately playing beer league. He looks great for what it’s worth but that league (from his highlights) is just a bunch of guys who float around and never even try to stop anyone from scoring lol. I don’t know if I’ve seen a single physical engagement of any type from a defender.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hard not to see him as Burakovsky's replacement.

2nd line winger who can score goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->