Average save percentage down considerably so far this season

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Interesting. The league changes the rules from a puck to a beachball and Freddy Andersens numbers go down. Thats the rule change we're talking about right?

Reactions: Legionnaire

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm willing to bet it's due to more powerplay opportunities. There will be an adjustment period but I'd expect things to go back to normal in the last half of the season or next season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From .915 last year to .908 this year. Guess the new rule enforcement is working?

Yes and no, the powerplays are nice and the scoring is nice, but the officiating is still crap. Obstruction is still around and it's still shameful to see that crap while the refs focus on calling the stupid stick infractions as their go to call right now. Crack down obstruction too, it's frustrating to see that sort of junk still in the league.

Reactions: HabsFan76

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This happens every year. Because percentages take time to stabilize. And along with that...teams take time to master the defensive systems their coaches demand of them.

Every year. It's not new. It's nothing to do with anything else. It's just how the NHL starts every season.

Reactions: Medzaideva

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
What was the percentage after only ~13 games last season?
I have a faint memory it was exactly the same last season - there were a lot of high scoring games. It stabilized to the usual amounts fairly quickly. After around 20 games. The rest of the season was almost lower scoring than usual.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have a faint memory it was exactly the same last season - there were a lot of high scoring games. It stabilized to the usual amounts fairly quickly. After around 20 games. The rest of the season was almost lower scoring than usual.
Scoring is up considerably from the same point last season.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Yes and no, the powerplays are nice and the scoring is nice, but the officiating is still crap. Obstruction is still around and it's still shameful to see that crap while the refs focus on calling the stupid stick infractions as their go to call right now. Crack down obstruction too, it's frustrating to see that sort of junk still in the league.
Is that you Mario?

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I'm willing to bet it's due to more powerplay opportunities. There will be an adjustment period but I'd expect things to go back to normal in the last half of the season or next season.

-This, and its lame. I want to watch hockey, not watch teams on the power play for a 1/3 of the game or more. And its also wildly inconsistent. Pittsburgh and Nashville, the two Stanley Cup Finalists last year, have been hit harder than anyone in penalty minutes. Both have over 40 more penalty minutes than any other team in the entire league. The last Pens / Flames game was bush league.

-No way this nonsense trend continues in the playoffs.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
One difference that I think is underrepresented is the no tolerance on slashing.

In the past, even if you got past a guy he could reach into your hands and poke or slash at them/your stick. And NHL players are masters.
Having played against some old pros it's like trying to fight a BJJ master. They can push and poke your body in different ways that render you useless.

With the new lack of stick interference, there are far more 'true' shots.
And these guys are elite shooters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad