average league salary

Fugu

I think it was $1.4 MM the first year after the lockout, and ~$1.6 MM last year. I'll try to verify.

It was $1.8 MM when the league initiated the lockout.

Fugu

From the NY Post on 10 June, 2007:

According to figures supplied to the NHLPA by the league, total 2006-07 NHL payroll amounted to $1,266,388,151 for a total of 791 players. Every time a player goes on the long-term-injury or injured-reserve list and a reinforcement is recalled from the minors, every player in the league pays. When Glen Sather decided to keep Sandis Ozolinsh on NHL IR rather than dispatch him on waivers to Hartford, every player in the league paid for the GM's largesse.

That puts the NHL average at $1.6 MM.

GSC2k2*

Regardless of what the average salary is - assuming that means anything at all - the total compensation paid to players is still going to be far below what it was before the lockout.

In 2003-04 player compensation less benefits was $1.451 billion

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/03-04revenue-expense.htm

In 2007-08, barring an increase in revenue beyond 5%, player compensation will be:

30 teams x $42.3 million/team [the midpoint] = $1.269 billion

The players are still $182 million down by my count.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
From the NY Post on 10 June, 2007:

That puts the NHL average at $1.6 MM.

Is that the official NHL/CBA definition of "Average League Salary" (dividing total payroll by # of players that spent time on a roster)? The CBA says the term is defined by the arbitration decision from 1995 but I haven't been able to find the wording of that decision.

CBA table of definitions:
"Average League Salary" means, with respect to any League Year, the League average salary for such League Year determined in accordance with the principles set forth in the decision of the Arbitrator Nicolau in the average league salary dispute dated March 20, 1995.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->