Average franchise values in pro sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
I just got the latest Hockey News and there's an interesting article about franchise values in pro sports, unfortunately I can't post a link because it's in the print version and I don't believe their articles are accessible on their website. But either way, here are the average franchise values in pro sports and the source is Forbes.

1) NFL: $732 million
2) MLB: $286 million
3) NBA: $264 million
4) NHL: $164 million

The most valuable franchise in the NHL is Detroit and they're worth $266 million which ranks only 62nd among all 121 pro sports teams in the NHL, NBA, MLB, and NHL combined.

I.am.ca

Don't you have to pay the NFL league like 20mill or 200mill or something to even get a franchise?

Anyways...NFL is pretty boring to watch and MLB is only half-decent when its the playoffs. NBA..well *yawn* in that league players switch jersies soo often you need a freakin 200 page book to see who went where.

NHL franchises may not be worth much, but at least the league isn't as boring as the 3 leagues above it.

Anyways whats the 2nd team in the NHL thats worth alot? Philadelphia Flyers? i always thought it was Detroit then Flyers for value...don't know now.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Did the article happen to mention that team values in the NHL have tripled in the same time that salaries have tripled

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
I.am.ca said:
Anyways...NFL is pretty boring to watch and MLB is only half-decent when its the playoffs. NBA..well *yawn* in that league players switch jersies soo often you need a freakin 200 page book to see who went where.

NHL franchises may not be worth much, but at least the league isn't as boring as the 3 leagues above it.

What does being boring (your opinion, not mine) have to with the value of the franchises? I would much rather own an NFL franchise than an NHL team right now.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
craig1 said:
A lot more than that now! LA will probably pay $400 - $500 million easily for an expansion, if they get one.

Actually, I am pretty sure you have to play $750 million to get a franchise in the NFL. I think i read that in Bruce Dowbiggen's book, Money Players (A must read if you really want to be informed on the whole CBA situation.)

In the NFL you are guarenteed to make money before you even play a game because each team gets $75 in television revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad