Average Age of QF teams compared

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
You may also be missing the fact that teams like Denmark, and Latvia etc don't have the choice of players we (or Russia) do. They take the veteran players with good hockey experience, as these are their countries best regardless of age. Its not always a matter of choice!
There's always a choice. We could've picked 35 year-olds over 21 year-olds. They're established household names, but they're not the best. That's the point.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
There's always a choice. We could've picked 35 year-olds over 21 year-olds. They're established household names, but they're not the best. That's the point.
In Austria, players don't develop until they're like 24, 25, due to the points rule. There was one really stupid pick, I thought, leaving out Mario Huber (21) for us, but otherwise I don't know that we could've gone younger.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Yes, we had a choice and chose young! My point was that the other countries don't have the same luxury. Unless they want to play some 16 year olds, they are stuck with whatever players are there, regardless of age.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yes, we had a choice and chose young! My point was that the other countries don't have the same luxury. Unless they want to play some 16 year olds, they are stuck with whatever players are there, regardless of age.
My point is that they do have the luxury. The pool of available players is obviously a lot smaller, but there's always the dilemma of going with the older guys or calling up junior or at least U23 players. It's not like Slovenia could go for a 23 year old lineup, the smaller the nation, the fewer options, but the principle always remains the same.

I'm Latvian, I'm perfectly aware of how limited the resources are for smaller hockey nations.

It's not like the smaller hockey nations are a bunch of idiots, who aren't aware of the Grand Secret of Youth, that's not my f***ing point.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
My point is that they do have the luxury. The pool of available players is obviously a lot smaller, but there's always the dilemma of going with the older guys or calling up junior or at least U23 players. It's not like Slovenia could go for a 23 year old lineup, the smaller the nation, the fewer options, but the principle always remains the same.

I'm Latvian, I'm perfectly aware of how limited the resources are for smaller hockey nations.

It's not like the smaller hockey nations are a bunch of idiots, who aren't aware of the Grand Secret of Youth, that's not my ****ing point.
Ok, good conversation friend. Glad this got hostile for no apparent reason. Enjoy your afternoon.

Reactions: Jablkon

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Take away Datsyuk and Russia's team are toddlers:sarcasm:

As the teams are fairly close in age this stat is not really telling much. For example Russia has some select and few vets who have an impact on that average age. Russia should have brought a much older team though.

Well same can be said of Finland. 3rd goalie raises the average and Pesonen is like 36 or something.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The five oldest and five youngest players in the quarterfinals...

PlayerNational teamBirthdate
Pavel DatsyukRussiaJuly 20, 1978
Janne PesonenFinlandMay 11, 1982
Tomas PlekanecCzech RepublicOctober 31, 1982
Vasily KoshechkinRussiaMarch 27, 1983
Curtis McElhinneyCanadaMay 23, 1983
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PlayerNational teamBirthdate
Quinn HughesUnited StatesOctober 14, 1999
Filip ChytilCzech RepublicSeptember 5, 1999
Miro HeiskanenFinlandJuly 18, 1999
Eeli TolvanenFinlandApril 22, 1999
Martin NecasCzech RepublicJanuary 15, 1999
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Shoutout in honor of Pavel the great.

YOHPLkB.jpg

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
It seemed like a boring statistic, but then it hit me. The 8 youngest teams ALL made the play-offs. The 8 oldest teams ALL didn't advance to the play-off stage.

That's ridiculous.

I've always said there's a strong negative bias towards young players. The physical peak of every skater is in early 20s, that's when the point production peaks as well.

30+, 35+ yo guys are being awarded roles purely out of name recognition and past achievements.
No. The King won gold for Swedes last year. Not in goal just for past heroics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->